Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Aug 06 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

bob cooley

New York, New York, US

JJD Productions wrote:
If models, photogs and other artists are impressed by the reputation of NY, keep in mind that there are unprofessional people in this industry everywhere. Sinatra should have said "If you can make it there you may not be able to make it anywhere".  OK, I have that off my chest now - as you were.

Well sure, 
but if this publication has these types of issues, they won't "make it" here either.
The song doesn't mean that merely by being here you will do well.

The key word in that quote by "the chairman" is IF

People come to NY because of the limitless possibilties. We have the reputation for being one of the most professional playgrounds because if you aren't on top of your game, the market will eventually spit you out like yesterday's garbage.

This is what I've always said about NYC (and having moved from the Mid-West to here, I think it's pretty accurate):

New York has no ceiling for potential.   
You can rise to your level of Greatness, or Mediocrity - But it's all up to you.

I'm not passing judgement, but who were you working for?  If it was Nylon, W, Surface, Paper, or any of the major publications you shouldn't have any issues.  Taking risks on smaller pubs is always still a risk, no matter where you are.

C'mon... tell it who it is so WE can all avoid assignments from them (and help the marketplace do a "Darwin" on them...) ;-)

Aug 07 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

swhnyc

New York, New York, US

According to the papers this morning, the average yearly income here is 50k (more like 30-35 after taxes), and the average person spends about 30% of that income on rent.  Closer to 50% if you're not living in stablized housing of some sort.  I love this city, and it's bursting with talent and opportunity, but there are too many pigs for the tits -- as Abraham Lincoln said.  So much of your ability to succeed is about who you know, and that means going out ALL the time.  I'm not complaining (nobody ever said life was fair, and this is way too wonderful an industry to succeed in without a fight), just dealing w/ it.  I realize this isn't directly responding to the thread, but as somebody who's been in Manhattan for 7 years now, it's an indelible truth.

Aug 08 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

bob cooley

New York, New York, US

swhnyc wrote:
According to the papers this morning, the average yearly income here is 50k (more like 30-35 after taxes), and the average person spends about 30% of that income on rent.  Closer to 50% if you're not living in stablized housing of some sort.

That may be for the ENTIRE city of New York (which includes the other 4 boroughes with a total popluation of 8,008,000+ for NY City).   However, Manhattan only boasts 1,530,000 +/- people squeezed into our little island.

Having lived in the past in 2 of the outer Bouroughs, I can tell you living there was MUCH cheaper than living in Manhattan where I've lived for the last 6.  It also depends on neighborhood:  I live in the W. Village, and my rent is double what some models who live in Washington Heights pay (it's also a lot less than some of my clients who live in central park west)...

You also have to take in to account low wages for many of the undereducated and underemployed in our more urban neighborhoods.  So the 50k is a pretty skewed number for a professional in Manhattan.   Granted, it would be hard to live a comfortable life in Manhattan on 50k a year; but if you are making that little, you probably should chose a new Borough.

swhnyc wrote:
So much of your ability to succeed is about who you know, and that means going out ALL the time.

Don't take offense to this; I don't mean it offensively, but the only people I have ever heard say that were not doing very well.   I find that largely to be an excuse.

If you have the talent, business-sense, professionalism and produce great product; people want to get to know you and your work, you shouldn't have to chase them.  Going out to be in the scene all the time only puts you in the pool with everyone else who wants "to know someone"... and amongst people who really can't properly afford to pay for your services. 

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt...  I'd rather spend my time creating great work that will make others come to me.    I was a "scenester" for years and did the whole fun circuit;  I got a few decent gigs out of it, but the reality is when you are trying to meet people out in the scene, you are really competing with rooms full of people who have the same agenda.   

Work hard, work smart, avoid the pack. :-)

Aug 08 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Aug 08 06 11:07 am Link