Forums > General Industry > Who is paying who?

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

I browsed through some model portfolios.  I am setting up a paid shoot so felt I could be reasonably choosy.  I am astounded by the number of profiles stating that the "model" is only interested in..........  fitness shoots or car shoots or dance shoots.

I thought that as I'm paying the piper, i could within reason expect to call the tune.

Aug 06 06 05:02 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

gdsandy wrote:
I browsed through some model portfolios.  I am setting up a paid shoot so felt I could be reasonably choosy.  I am astounded by the number of profiles stating that the "model" is only interested in..........  fitness shoots or car shoots or dance shoots.

I thought that as I'm paying the piper, i could within reason expect to call the tune.

u can to some extent, but only to the extent that the model feels comfortable. also some models just arent into certain types of shoots (glam/lingerie etc) for personal or even religious reasons.

but aside from that u do have a point, and im sure if u actually contact some of these models and offer them paid work, (and if u have nice pictures in your port), the smell of greenbacks will possibly change their mind pretty quickly!

Aug 06 06 05:08 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

gdsandy wrote:

You can be choosy, but so can the model,  welcome to the internet.

Aug 06 06 05:15 am Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

This is definatly not a professional site !!!!!!!!

Aug 06 06 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

gdsandy wrote:

You can "within reason."  The "within reason" is the same as if a client wants to hire you to shoot a product or a fetish set (for example) and you don't think you have the background or interest to do it. You wouldn't (or ethically shouldn't). Same thing I think.

Aug 06 06 05:35 am Link

Model

isani

Los Angeles, California, US

so then...what, precisely, are you trying to shoot?

Aug 06 06 05:36 am Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I wouldn't hire any model off of this site for an advertising shoot!!! I would go through an agency for that.You can never be sure what you are going to get off the web.Most of the models on this site just show some skin and that's the extent of their talents.They make their money off of wana be photogs , shoot with as many photogs as they can and eventually end up with some knd of portfolio.It is a good racket at the photogs expemse.I have never had so many request for free work from me!!!!The nerve!! I either hire models for an ad shoot or they hire me for portfolio shooting for the agency.I've just anout had it.

Aug 06 06 05:41 am Link