Forums > General Industry > If I was going to pay

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't know about others but I see this as a networking site more than a site for paying work. The sad fact is that if I NEEDED to have a 5 foot 11 inch model for fashion work and I was going to pay for the time of said model with cold hard cash I would book through an agency.

That way I would be guarenteed what I need when I need it. I could be assured of a fairly professional and polished model as well.

So just wondering:

A. Photographers: How many of you out there hard core cast fashion/ editorial work from this site?

B. Models: How many of you book fashion/editorial work off this site?

and if you don't care about this topic, than you can always answer one of these questions:

Pumpkin or mushroom ravioli?

Comcast or DirectTV?

Plastic or glass?

Bottle or Can?

Mac or PC?

Morning person or night owl?

(I could do this all night....)

Aug 06 06 01:08 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Mushroooooom, baby!

Aug 06 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

DezLand Studios

San Antonio, Florida, US

I do care about this topic, and I usually like to shoot something artsy fartsy..I have never really done anything that Fashion or the like..but if I did I would probably go through here...agencies, on this side of town, dont exactly have the variety I like to go for..then again if it was for a client..I may go through aganecy...it would all depend on what my findings would be I geuss.

And to answer the other questions:

Mushroom
N/A (dont watch)
Glass
Bottle
PC all the way
And as you can see that its 1:35 a.m., I am a nightowl

-Kira

Aug 06 06 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Star wrote:
I don't know about others but I see this as a networking site more than a site for paying work. The sad fact is that if I NEEDED to have a 5 foot 11 inch model for fashion work and I was going to pay for the time of said model with cold hard cash I would book through an agency.

That way I would be guarenteed what I need when I need it. I could be assured of a fairly professional and polished model as well.

So just wondering:

A. Photographers: How many of you out there hard core cast fashion/ editorial work from this site?

B. Models: How many of you book fashion/editorial work off this site?

and if you don't care about this topic, than you can always answer one of these questions:

Pumpkin or mushroom ravioli?

Comcast or DirectTV?

Plastic or glass?

Bottle or Can?

Mac or PC?

Morning person or night owl?

(I could do this all night....)

Not sure why the fact is sad....("The sad fact is that if I NEEDED to have a 5 foot 11 inch model for fashion work") but the answer is left-handed only both. Networking for me but I am hobbyist.

Aug 06 06 01:20 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Star wrote:

For testing? Yes
For jobs? Maybe, but not first pick

Would I book a model from here for a job? With a cheap client yes.  With a client who's not afraid of agency fees, no.

Oh and uh: mushroomneitheryespleasebottlemacnighttimeistherighttime

Aug 06 06 01:20 am Link

Model

Niquey

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Off of this site? None so far, but i haven't been in the game long, and honestly, am not comfortable to look for or accept that kind of work just yet. My commercial shoot with a local studio was really dumb luck, kind of a "life led me down the right path" kinda thing.

As for your other questions.

Pumpkin or mushroom ravioli? Mushroom all the way

Comcast or DirectTV? I'm Australian.. what the hell are you talking about? =P

Plastic or glass? Well that depends on the product it's being used for. Probably glass.

Bottle or Can? Bottles are more versatile.

Mac or PC? LOL! PC (biased opinion though, i've never used a Mac)

Morning person or night owl? By personal choice i'm a night owl, as a fact of life i'm a morning person

Aug 06 06 01:21 am Link

Model

Burnz F

San Diego, California, US

I agree, thats why I'm on the verge of getting an agent! i used to have one, but school had me taking a break but now i'm back, and getting my act together and have a few prospective agencies i've got my eye on smile
as for the other q's...

Mushroom...

Neither comcast nor direct tv...

Glass, always...

Bottle, unless at the beach then i'd settle for the can smile

MAC but PC is ok too...

Night Owl...

Aug 06 06 01:21 am Link

Model

Lauren Mackey

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I think if you want to get paid well, it's best to go through an agency, or at least have a manager. My friend Ashley (www.ashleyskin.com) gets paid $1500 per photo shoot, plus travel, but she doesn't have a formal agency.  She just has a good manager who is extremely firm about her rates and standards.
What I've learned from the world of internet modeling is that personal modeling growth is very slow because the majority of the people I have worked with are either newbies or hobbyists who are still learning the lighting dynamics, or how to articulate to me what they want.  It hasn't been until now when I finally got a manager that I know what exactly I need to do to convey professionalism in a picture.  (by the way, I'm not insulting the photogs I've worked with, but I have been told by two agencies that even though I have potential, none of the images at the time were usable).  Which was really frustrating.
So I'm thinking photographers pay top quality work, and to convey top quality, you have to learn it.  To do that, it is imperative to get an agency or a manager who knows how to teach/couch it.  That's just my opinion which is relevant to my personal experience.

Aug 06 06 01:43 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Pumpkin or mushroom ravioli? neither.

Comcast or DirectTV? comcast + tivo = love

Plastic or glass? glass bottled Cokes make me swoon

Bottle or Can? canned Dr. Pepper .. bottle anything else

Mac or PC? I own both, partial to PC

Morning person or night owl? Night Owl

Aug 06 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

LadyMcCool wrote:
To do that, it is imperative to get an agency or a manager who knows how to teach/couch it.

It's not worth it. You'll not feel good about it the next day. Don't lower yourself to do this.

There's no reason to let a manager couch you!

wink

Aug 06 06 05:49 am Link

Model

Schwarz

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Mac owns PC up and down the F'ing map!

Aug 06 06 05:56 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Fashion is not my primary source of income but if I need a model...I hire one from an agency......just can't depend on MM.....it's great for kicking back and airing your views.....that's about it....

Aug 06 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

As a photog - I would be wary of hiring a model off of this site for any ad clients.I have tried several times to shoot for my book with MM models and have not had good things happen.I was recently in Atlanta drove in and model totally flaked.Postponed,rescheduled and never called back.I had other work down there and the models I shot were from agencies.As a photog this site has been a waste of time.I've made some contacts but for the most part it is BS.Why should models expect photogs to do free work to develop the model's portfolio.The models that make money off of this site are getting paid by GWC to do nudies and swimwear.I guess paying a model a couple of hundred for nudes is cheaper than going to the nudie bar and paying for lap dances!! I have not had one good experience with any models off of this site when I've tried to do any work with them.  jh

Aug 06 06 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

If I had a real budget and could pay a decent fee I would never hire models off
of MM or any other site.  While some here are dependable you only have to look
to a few of the flaky model posts to get a good ideal of whats up.  I'm
sure at times people who might really like a models look may check MM out but
a few of the no show, no call threads scare them right to the agencies.  It
really doesn't have to be that way though.  More models could go after other
flaky models as they go after photographers who don't give them all their images.
If things are to improve then we must act as a unified community.  If a photographer has a paid project or a serious test offer respond to it and suggest
other area models who are reliable.  Don't accept any job as a model if you aren't
deadly serious.  Stop the bs excuses.  Photographers are tired of hearing about
sick grannies, golf club accidents, terrorist acts and I overslept.

Aug 06 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I’m a little confused.  This site and others are good for networking but not for a real job.  Networking is not trading little barbs and rants in the forums.  It is creating contacts and establishing relationships that aid in your endeavors.  If I were in the market for an art, fashion, or commercial model, I’m sure with just a little bit of due diligent on my part I would know who is reliable.  Maybe if the photographers on this site treated shoots with models here the same way they would an agency model there would not be so much of this unreliability.  Have a contract signed.

Aug 06 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Envy wrote:

Pumpkin or mushroom ravioli? neither.they sound horrible!

dvd or tivo

avoid most Plastic

only canned  goods i eat would be Tuna..... bottle anything else

partial to PC

Night Owl !!

Aug 06 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Ansley

Los Angeles, California, US

This to me is a networking site. If i found somebody that i wanted to work with on here i would book them but I wouldnt rely on this for casting a major shoot by any means.

Aug 06 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I much prefer mac vs. pc and canon vs. nikon take on freddy vs. jason and alien vs. predator. Pass me the popcorn.

Aug 06 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

RS Livingston

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

As a working professional photographer, I feel fortunate to have met models and stylist that have proven to be as good as agency people I have worked with. I have not been here very long but the few people I have met so far I will actively promote towards jobs with my clients. If they are right for the project and are not chosen, I will be extremely disappointed.

Aug 06 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

RS Livingston

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Oh, and Mac of course. Serious night owl.

Aug 06 06 08:13 pm Link