Forums > General Industry > Turning Models into Monsters - Literally

Photographer

Levertons Photography

MARRIOTTSVILLE, Maryland, US

I have been developing my Photoshop skills lately and often times really mess with a models looks to create an interesting image. The intention is not to make fun of the model but to see what is possible. My work has gotten better and I’m beginning to wonder if the models will be offended by seeing themselves morphed into a hoofed reptilian thing. When I took the pictures, I had not envisioned morphing the models with monsters only placing the models into 3-d rendered environments with monsters around. Because I did not foresee this morphing possibility, I did not tell the models I would try these types of special effects on thier pictures. Have I gone to far?  Yes, I have the copyrights to do it but should I still do it?

See my most recent image “More then Human” for an example.

Aug 05 06 11:53 am Link

Model

Abernathy Lily

London, England, United Kingdom

Hey,

No, its all in the name of Art......you arent making them nude replitians are you???

I think its a great idea, I would love to have some images like that in my portfolio.

Dania xx

Aug 05 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Levertons Photography wrote:
I have been developing my Photoshop skills lately and often times really mess with a models looks to create an interesting image. The intention is not to make fun of the model but to see what is possible. My work has gotten better and I’m beginning to wonder if the models will be offended by seeing themselves morphed into a hoofed reptilian thing. When I took the pictures, I had not envisioned morphing the models with monsters only placing the models into 3-d rendered environments with monsters around. Because I did not foresee this morphing possibility, I did not tell the models I would try these types of special effects on thier pictures. Have I gone to far?  Yes, I have the copyrights to do it but should I still do it?

to some extent they should know beforehand, but in saying that, u have all this technology at your fingertips, why not make her a redhead with blue eyes and pale skin and then change some of her facial features a little....? and i think if u give the model a normal print, before u turn her into a monster, i think she should be happy enough.
if u are only experimenting then there is nothing to stop u, moral or legal, the problem might come along if she is still recognisable and u want to publish the images......you would need a release to do so, which will entirely depend on how nice you are to her when u ask for it  wink
obviously the thing to do is get one signed on shoot day, and make sure it says (and she knows) that there is a chance she will be morphed or have some of her human qualitys exchanged.

Aug 06 06 05:16 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Hey some of us rather like it and in fact actively seek out this kind of work.
Living out the fantasy of being childhood scary monsters and myths is an awful lot of fun and to me at least far more of a giggle than more "normal" modelling

Aug 06 06 11:25 am Link

Model

Leopardess Kat

Crestline, California, US

I personally have no problem with it (see my icon).  However you might want to ask the models you are morphing if you do want to post it on any site or forum.  Some models might be intriqued by what you do and some might be very uptight and offended by it.  You never know.

Aug 06 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Change the title to "More Than Human" and you may be onto something.

Aug 06 06 01:58 pm Link

Model

SsinUrn

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

i don't know about anyone else... i'm weird to start.... but i'd be estatic to do a shoot with that end result in mind!

Aug 06 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a taste for the macabre! Experiment and your work will grow!
Check out my new blog...

http://rpmartistic.blogspot.com

Rich

http://www.rpatrickmohrphotography.net

Aug 06 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Levertons Photography

MARRIOTTSVILLE, Maryland, US

Thanks for the comments and insight. I sent the model an email to let her know but have not heard back from her. It was more Photoshop practice then anything, so, if she minds I have no problem pulling it down. My models release states that I can do this type of work but I would rather keep the model happy.

If any models in the area want to be morphed, drop me a line (LOL)

Cheers,
Bob

Aug 06 06 07:16 pm Link