Forums > General Industry > Sources for Posing Ideas - suggestions welcome!

Model

Andy McBang

Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec, Canada

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to posing, I've only done a few shoots, but with more on the way I'm trying to put together a 'scrapbook' of interesting poses that I (and my photgrapher) can use as a source of inspiration...

It hard enough to find photographers open-minded enough to shoot 'male nudes', but I'm realizing that it's also more of a challenge to pose a male nude than a female nude. For this reason, I think it's best for me to prepare some ideas in advance rather than just 'show up'...

I've gotten some interesting ideas from the web, as well from researching the work of some well-known photographers. But I need more ideas. If you know of any possible sources of nude posing ideas (male or female, it doesn't matter), please let me know. These can be interesting websites, books, or just names of photographers...

Thanks in advance!

Aug 05 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

MPutorti

Le Roy, New York, US

Dont rely on just sources of nudes and photography.  Pick up an art history book or 2 and see what artists have done over the 4000 years.  Look at sports magazines.  Comic books.  Go to the museum.  Go to the beach.  There are ideas and concepts to absorb all over the place.  Just keep your eyes open.

Good luck

Aug 05 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

MPutorti wrote:
Dont rely on just sources of nudes and photography.  Pick up an art history book or 2 and see what artists have done over the 4000 years.  Look at sports magazines.  Comic books.  Go to the museum.  Go to the beach.  There are ideas and concepts to absorb all over the place.  Just keep your eyes open.

Good luck

I agree. I will add that less is more. Less ripped and more relaxed.

Aug 05 06 08:16 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

I am a shameless ripper-offerer of other peoples ideas.  The largest file on my hard drive is called Pictures, and has at least a couple of thousand randomly arranged images that have caught my eye at some time.  Some I've tried to reproduce exactly, some I've used as a basis for my own work, and some I just sit and look at when I want to be reminded of how bad my own stuff is.

As a photographer, I would say to you as a model, let the photographer be your guide.  Yes, you can practice in front of a mirror, you can watch other people, but only a photographer can see the shapes, shadows, lines and forms that you are showing in front of him under his lighting set-up.

Having said that, you might like to look through some of the male model ports on here.  If you see a picture that you like, see if the photographer gets a credit, and then check him (or her) out.  There might be even more ideas on the photgrapher's port.

There are some stunning photographers on MM, I know, I've stolen some of my best ideas from them.

Aug 05 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

you know they actually sell BOOKs with poses ! OMG !

Aug 05 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

MPutorti

Le Roy, New York, US

RED Photographic wrote:
I am a shameless ripper-offerer of other peoples ideas.  .

Otherwise known as "Snatch and Improve"

Aug 05 06 10:32 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Do you have a full length mirror? Most of my interesting poses come from goofing around in front of mine. Sometimes I'll just be walking by and see something interesting in my movement, or I'll be on the phone and just experimenting.

Occasionally I look at other people's work and get inspired to do a variation on what I see, but a lot comes from just seeing what my body can do, be it simple or a really tough pose to get into. Sometimes I just try to see how much I can contort my body. smile

Aug 05 06 10:35 am Link