Forums > General Industry > paying before or after? quick etiquette check

Photographer

Andrei Ku

New York, New York, US

Models and photogs, what in your experience the usual practice for paid shoots with internet models like ones from this site: paying before a shoot or after?

Would paying before a shoot be better in terms of getting the model more relaxed/comfortable? 

Or it does not matter to you most of the time either way?

Or does someone find that paying after the shoot is better, perhaps because it's when you know the exact hourage (wait, is that a word? I mean, elapsed time length of a shoot) ...   Could it be more motivational for a model?

To me as a photog it really seems like a non issue, nevertheless I am curious as to what the common practices are...and what's the uncommon ones, too!

Also, same question about signing model release form -- before shoot or after?   I've heard horror stories about photogs obtaining the absolutely best shoy of their lives and then having a model flake out in a middle of a shoot w/o signing...scary traumatic stuff!!!

Cheers,  and thanks in advance for your insights experience and wisdom!

Loving this site and folks here,

--Ak

Aug 04 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

I read a photographers guide from an established photographer who said you pay after -- keeps them in the shoot.  Pay before and you've essentially taken away the financial incentive to "perform".

This is essentially the mechanism you see across many professions.  Except for politics and CEOs.  Aside from them, everyone else is paid on performance.

Aug 04 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Andrei Ku

New York, New York, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:
I read a photographers guide from an established photographer who said you pay after -- keeps them in the shoot.  Pay before and you've essentially taken away the financial incentive to "perform".

This is essentially the mechanism you see across many professions.  Except for politics and CEOs.  Aside from them, everyone else is paid on performance.

makes perfect sense. thanks!

Aug 04 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Pay before and you've essentially taken away the financial incentive to "perform".

I rip the twenty dollar bill in half and give the model one half before and the second half after the shoot. This way she knows that she ain't getting screwed over and I know she ain't taking off in the middle of the shoot with my twenty bucks.

Aug 04 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Pre-shoot protocol:

1) I send my booking confirmation email, which has links to my website and my photo release in PDF format, and advise the model that she *must* have a non-expired, government-issued Photo ID that shows her face, her legal name, and her date of birth. It also advises her that she will have to sign a release to get any pictures and/or get paid.

2) When the model arrives, I ask her if she has her ID. If she doesn't, I ask her to go get it. So far only once have I had to drive a model back to her house to get the ID. (Usually she left it in the car.)

Post-shoot protocol:

1) I give her the release and invite her to read it.

2) She reads it, or not. If she has questions, I answer them. The answer may include, "If you want to show it to an attorney, go right ahead. But I won't pay you until I have the signed release."

3) She signs the release. This includes date, initials, and 2257 information if appropriate. If in doubt, the 2257 section gets filled out.

4) I take a picture of her holding the release and her ID.

5) I take the release and put it in my bag.

6) I give her her money.

7) She leaves.

M

Aug 04 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Andrei Ku wrote:
Models and photogs, what in your experience the usual practice for paid shoots with internet models like ones from this site: paying before a shoot or after?

Would paying before a shoot be better in terms of getting the model more relaxed/comfortable? 

Or it does not matter to you most of the time either way?

Or does someone find that paying after the shoot is better, perhaps because it's when you know the exact hourage (wait, is that a word? I mean, elapsed time length of a shoot) ...   Could it be more motivational for a model?

To me as a photog it really seems like a non issue, nevertheless I am curious as to what the common practices are...and what's the uncommon ones, too!

Also, same question about signing model release form -- before shoot or after?   I've heard horror stories about photogs obtaining the absolutely best shoy of their lives and then having a model flake out in a middle of a shoot w/o signing...scary traumatic stuff!!!

Cheers,  and thanks in advance for your insights experience and wisdom!

Loving this site and folks here,

--Ak

For every model I've ever hired -- glamour, catalog, lifestyle, editorial, adult work, you name it -- I've always paid at the end, and have never heard any complaints.

Model release is signed within five minutes of her arriving at the location or studio.

Paul

Aug 04 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

I try to have them review and sign the release before the shoot starts, while we are reviewing what we are going to do.  Gives them a chance to ask questions and sets expectations for the shoot.  I also take a photo of their ID at this time. 

They get paid after the shoot.

Aug 04 06 01:41 pm Link

Model

Brittany H

Beverly Hills, California, US

Fotticelli wrote:

I rip the twenty dollar bill in half and give the model one half before and the second half after the shoot. This way she knows that she ain't getting screwed over and I know she ain't taking off in the middle of the shoot with my twenty bucks.

Haaa!  Twenty bucks?  Is that the going rate now?  You are too funny!  Do you bring along tape to tape it together with after the shoot?  I love it!

Aug 04 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

You forgot..hookers are paid up front.

smile

Aug 04 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Your crew: pay them first.

The model: pay them after.

GETTING MONEY:

Client you do not trust: get 1/2 up front in advance, 1/2 at end of the day.  Hold film frm them until paid in full.

Client that has previously burned you: (what are you nuts?!! Why the hell are you dealing with them again?!)  Get 100% payment up front in advance.

Model from the web: get a token deposit in advance for the shoot via Paypal... this will insure they even show up.  Cash only from models.. no checks... ever.

Aug 04 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Fotticelli wrote:
I rip the twenty dollar bill in half.......

Where does one find these $20 models?   And do you pay them the remaining $10 in crack?

Aug 04 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Hasta la Vista

Fotticelli wrote:

I place the money in a bottle tied to a string and then to a poll which is then tied to the model. This serves two purposes.... 1. She knows she's getting paid and 2. She keeps moving as she reaches for the money. LOL

Aug 04 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

I put small unmarked bills in a locker at the bus station and mail the key to the meeting place. No wait, that was the "Maltese Falcon". I just pay after the shoot and ask her to sign a receipt showing that she received payment. Then at home I staple the receipt to the model release.

Aug 04 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

StMarc wrote:
Pre-shoot protocol:

1) I send my booking confirmation email, which has links to my website and my photo release in PDF format, and advise the model that she *must* have a non-expired, government-issued Photo ID that shows her face, her legal name, and her date of birth. It also advises her that she will have to sign a release to get any pictures and/or get paid.

2) When the model arrives, I ask her if she has her ID. If she doesn't, I ask her to go get it. So far only once have I had to drive a model back to her house to get the ID. (Usually she left it in the car.)

Post-shoot protocol:

2) She reads it, or not. If she has questions, I answer them. The answer may include, "If you want to show it to an attorney, go right ahead. But I won't pay you until I have the signed release."

3) She signs the release. This includes date, initials, and 2257 information if appropriate. If in doubt, the 2257 section gets filled out.

6) I give her her money.

7) She leaves.

M

Meanwhile, later that night you slap your forehead and exclaim, "Shit! I forgot to take her pictures!"

Aug 04 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Curt Burgess wrote:

You forgot..hookers are paid up front.

smile

They are?  Never knew that.  I guess they want to know they're gonna GET paid.  I'd give them half up front and half in the rear.  Err...  I mean, afterward.  You know, as an incentive.

Aug 04 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

ID check, and model release first.
Payment after the shoot.

Paul

Aug 04 06 07:20 pm Link

Model

Ximena Barreto

Monterey, California, US

StMarc wrote:
Pre-shoot protocol:

Post-shoot protocol:

6) I give her her money.

7) She leaves.

M

whats the 2257? is this a tax form?  what if I get paid cash?  I'm not joking, I am new to USA and have little modeling experience here in USA but a lot in Colombia.

Aug 04 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Ximena Bright wrote:
whats the 2257? is this a tax form?  what if I get paid cash?  I'm not joking, I am new to USA and have little modeling experience here in USA but a lot in Colombia.

2257 has nothing to do with taxes.  It is the record  keeping requirements for adult oriented photoshoots.

Aug 04 06 08:12 pm Link

Model

Ximena Barreto

Monterey, California, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

2257 has nothing to do with taxes.  It is the record  keeping requirements for adult oriented photoshoots.

OK good.  I don't want to get audited by the IRS.

Aug 04 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

What Alan said. Basically, my rule is that if I can see your naughty bits, you have to fill out the form. I don't care if they're Edward Weston nudes, them's the rules. This is due to a very vague and idiotic series of laws and regulations which content producers lump together and refer to as "2257 requirements" after the number of the regulation in the Federal code.

I don't 1099 (in other words, I don't give them tax documents, that's the number of the form) models because I never pay any individual model more than $600 in a calendar year. If I had a job that paid her that much, it would be a client paying her, not me.

I see in your profile that you moved to the US to get married. Have you got permanent residency/citizenship? If you're still a Columbian national, be sure you have all your ducks in a row: with the current wave of anti-foreign-worker sentiment, even modeling for a few bucks could get your lovely behind deported otherwise. That would be a shame.

M

Aug 04 06 08:27 pm Link

Model

Ximena Barreto

Monterey, California, US

StMarc wrote:
What Alan said. Basically, my rule is that if I can see your naughty bits, you have to fill out the form. I don't care if they're Edward Weston nudes, them's the rules. This is due to a very vague and idiotic series of laws and regulations which content producers lump together and refer to as "2257 requirements" after the number of the regulation in the Federal code.

I don't 1099 (in other words, I don't give them tax documents, that's the number of the form) models because I never pay any individual model more than $600 in a calendar year. If I had a job that paid her that much, it would be a client paying her, not me.

I see in your profile that you moved to the US to get married. Have you got permanent residency/citizenship? If you're still a Columbian national, be sure you have all your ducks in a row: with the current wave of anti-foreign-worker sentiment, even modeling for a few bucks could get your lovely behind deported otherwise. That would be a shame.

M

Yes I have my permanent residency interview soon...wish me luck!!!!  I also have my social security # so I am legit wink  I want to play by all your stupid USA rules so I don't get deported!

My husband is in the military and I had to do a big background investigation on me because of his security clearance etc.  it sucks, like 10 pages of personal questions.  But I had to do one in Bogota too when my sisters married Marines from the Colombian Navy...no big deal.

Aug 04 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

Revel

Richland, Washington, US

Hey, I'm a "$20 model"! tongue

I've always gotten paid after the shoot (mainly because I find it akward to discuss the money), and signing releases as per before/after has been 50/50.
I so have the starving artist mentality *sigh*.

Aug 04 06 08:47 pm Link

Model

Ximena Barreto

Monterey, California, US

In Colombia I got paid thru my agent who set up the shoots...

who wants to sign me on here in USA!?!?!??!?!??!

Aug 04 06 08:49 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

bang bang photo wrote:

For every model I've ever hired -- glamour, catalog, lifestyle, editorial, adult work, you name it -- I've always paid at the end, and have never heard any complaints.

Model release is signed within five minutes of her arriving at the location or studio.

Paul

me too.always.
agree terms first
pay after

although often i wondered if i was gonna  GET paid

lol

like the torn notes idea!!!

Aug 07 06 12:27 am Link