Forums > General Industry > Central Park, do I need a permit?

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Does anyone know if I need a permit to shoot there or is it ok because it's public space?  I'm thinking I don't need a permit, but thought I'd see if anyone knew different.  Thanks.

Aug 04 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

PunkHeart

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Yes.
I have not shot in central park, but I have shot in several other small parks in NYC and have always needed a permit.
If you are doing street photography, you can shoot basically anywhere you want, but some of the shop keepers do get a bit testy if you linger around their store front.
Also, if you are using a tripod, they request that you get a permit (go figure).
Having shot many productions in NYC, but not living there, I would say it's not that bad shooting on location if the production is small. But believe me, the minute the reflecters, scrim & wardrobe stylist are on the scene you will have an audience.
And the minute you do this in a city park, they will want to see a permit from the City Park Admin. or the City Trans. Dept.
Also, keep a sharp eye on your equipment, and make sure the model is comfortable with a crowd, causemyou will have all kinds of people snapping shots of the model on their cell phones, and you can't controll that.....

Aug 04 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

I never habe gotten one npr have I ever been hassled there for one....that surprises me because I always get hassled everywhere else.
Use common sense and I think you can shoot there without one. Don't get huge fans, lights and tripods etc.
We actually did get a permit because we were doing 2 big shoots one with a horse too and no one at any time came up to us to ask for the permit - there were plenty of chances of that to happen.
I'll be shooting there in a few weeks and not getting a permit but it's not a huge production shoot.
Anywhere else I would be wary but Central Park is pretty cool to shoot in.

Aug 04 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Legally, you need a permit, which is free.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/permi … aphy.shtml

In practice, if you're not making a big production, you won't attract any attention.

Aug 04 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thanks guys for the input.  It'll be a small shoot with a small crew but minimal equipment so I'm assuming I'll attract an audience and thought that's why I would need a permit. 

BTW, anyone have any ideas on how the model can change clothes there or should I just bring a very large beach towel?

Aug 04 06 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

His Name Is TAJ

New York, New York, US

A mayor's office permit is separate from a NY Parks Permit. A Mayor's Office Permit only covers city owned streets while a Parks Permit covers the parks. To obtain a NYC Parks Permit, you must go here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dpr/html/film_shoot_form.html

The form is easy to fill out and they get back to you in no time at all.  I hope this helps.
Also, you may want to have the model change in a bathroom or something, as I think Central park's security may not go for that changing outside stuff.

-Taj

Aug 04 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

TheModelPhotographer wrote:
A mayor's office permit is separate from a NY Parks Permit. A Mayor's Office Permit only covers city owned streets while a Parks Permit covers the parks. To obtain a NYC Parks Permit, you must go here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dpr/html/film_shoot_form.html

The form is easy to fill out and they get back to you in no time at all.  I hope this helps.
Also, you may want to have the model change in a bathroom or something, as I think Central park's security may not go for that changing outside stuff.

-Taj

Actually, I thnk you need to do both.  It is a strange system, particularly since it is free.

Aug 04 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Boris Pale

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

It's braindead. In europe I never had to fill a form to get a permit. What is it good for? I mean I understand for huge filmcrews and stuff... but for unpaid work or tests? Why don't they just destroy all cameras in america...  country of freedom...  for countless senseless laws nobody knows about :-)

Aug 04 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Epix wrote:
It's braindead. In europe I never had to fill a form to get a permit. What is it good for? I mean I understand for huge filmcrews and stuff... but for unpaid work or tests? Why don't they just destroy all cameras in america...  country of freedom...  for countless senseless laws nobody knows about :-)

How does one legally differentiate between a commercial shoot with one photographer and one model and a shoot with 14 models, and a crew of 23?  The legalese would be tremendous trying to figure out exactly where the line between commercial that needs a permit and commercial that doesn't need a permit lies.

Like I said, legally you do need a permit, but inpractice, if you aren't drawing much attention to yourself, no one is going to care.

I have a few shots in my portfolio right now taking in NYC parks, including Central Park, for which I had no permit.

Aug 05 06 12:54 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Epix wrote:

the point being that any effort required of 'the artist' other than the actual creating is reason to stop creating?

good lord. big deal. you go fill out the form, file it, and you're done. there are plenty of good pedestrian reasons for regulations that protect the common good. they are not all evil at heart.

Europe, which as we all know is consistant in all regards from town to town and country to country, does bureaucracy amply well.

let's not confuse the 'freedom' of the internet where we are free to steal and abuse without recourse with the earned and constantly-under-threat freedoms that are, in principle, defended by regulations.

Aug 05 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

Epix wrote:

When you have your first run-in with the cops, it's a good thing to have.

Aug 05 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Steve Thornton

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Epix wrote:

Primarily governments want to know if you have liability insurance & name them as co-insured on your policy. This is normal.

As for Europe, Paris requires you have a permit for tripods, or at least they used to when I lived there. The parks also require a permit, City parks, State parks require different permits, just like the USA, the States, the counties & the cities.

I never needed a permit to shoot in Milan or Como, Italy when I lived there.

Steve Thornton

Aug 05 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
How does one legally differentiate between a commercial shoot with one photographer and one llama and a shoot with 14 llamas, and a crew of 23?  The legalese would be tremendous trying to figure out exactly where the line between commercial that needs a permit and commercial that doesn't need a permit lies.

Like I said, legally you do need a permit, but inpractice, if you aren't drawing much attention to yourself, no one is going to care.

I have a few shots in my portfolio right now taking in NYC parks, including Central Park, for which I had no permit.

I've also shot there with no problem.  I agree.

Aug 05 06 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Epix wrote:

We the sheeple continue to put up with it...

Aug 05 06 07:17 am Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

As for a model changing there is a bathroom very close to the Bethesda Fountain.
I always offer it to my clients but when they are dancers they just change in the open.

Aug 05 06 07:25 am Link