Forums > General Industry > Remote shutter release...

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I just dropped my Canon electronic shutter release 21 floors off my balcony while showing a model the view at night.

It still works!  Didn't even break!  Hit concrete too!  I'm impressed.  smile

Just thought I'd share.

-PKD

Aug 04 06 04:10 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

21 floors? Impressive.

Aug 04 06 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Fraziers Photography

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Thats great that it still works., I dont think we have any bldg 21 floors tall here in OKlahoma hehehe.

Aug 04 06 04:20 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

My 5D which happened to be sitting on my pelican case accidentally fell from a height of 12" onto the carpeted floor but managed to have enough time to flip over, land on the Pocketwizard transmitter, crack in half and break the hotshoe into 2 pieces. This was only the 2nd time I used the PW's and now it's now being held together by superglue.

>_

Aug 04 06 04:39 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Brandon Ching wrote:
My 5D which happened to be sitting on my pelican case accidentally fell from a height of 12" onto the carpeted floor but managed to have enough time to flip over, land on the Pocketwizard transmitter, crack in half and break the hotshoe into 2 pieces. This was only the 2nd time I used the PW's and now it's now being held together by superglue.

>_

Aug 04 06 04:41 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I attended a wedding at one time where the photographer dropped his Hassie from the choir section the church....2nd floor......when it hit the marble floor it sounded like a bomb going off.....scared the crap out of everyone in the church.....

All I could see were little pieces of metal scattered all over the place......and I think the photographer was cutting his wrists.....

Aug 04 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Fraziers Photography wrote:
Thats great that it still works., I dont think we have any bldg 21 floors tall here in OKlahoma hehehe.

Not any more

Studio36

Aug 04 06 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
I attended a wedding at one time where the photographer dropped his Hassie from the choir section the church....2nd floor......when it hit the marble floor it sounded like a bomb going off.....scared the crap out of everyone in the church.....

All I could see were little pieces of metal scattered all over the place......and I think the photographer was cutting his wrists.....

Reading this hurt. ...A lot.
Ouch.

Aug 04 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I dropped a vintage Canon lens out of an airplane, and it survived with only a small dent in the filter ring!

*disclaimer:  The plane was still parked on the tarmac.  Don't try this at home.

Aug 04 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

If I could afford a Hassie I'd have it grafted to my hands.  Man.. I'd be in tears.  That or my rate for the wedding shoot would be $50K.

-PKD

Aug 04 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

We were at a sports arena years ago watching some sort of WWF. Might have been Hulk Hogan. Yes, we were fueled by lots of beer. I was changinging lenses and I dropped my Nikkor 24mm. It went chink-clank-tong-tang rolling down about 12 rows of those concrete style seating arrangements. I retrieved it and still used it for the next 15 years.

Aug 04 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Chip Morton wrote:
We were at a sports arena years ago watching some sort of WWF. Might have been Hulk Hogan. Yes, we were fueled by lots of beer. I was changinging lenses and I dropped my Nikkor 24mm. It went chink-clank-tong-tang rolling down about 12 rows of those concrete style seating arrangements. I retrieved it and still used it for the next 15 years.

Hehehe.. built tough those things.  Attach one to a Nikon F4 camera and you can use it as a sledge hammer.

-PKD

Aug 04 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Umm, there are alot of buildings in Oklahoma with 21 floors.... have you like, looked outside recently?

Every one of my old cameras is taped or rubberbanded together due to dropping them about 3 feet

Aug 04 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

KMPHOTOGRAPHY

Here in Kansas, you could drop it from the first floor 21 times.

Aug 04 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

KMPHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Here in Kansas, you could drop it from the first floor 21 times.

hahaha!

Aug 04 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Brandon Ching wrote:
My 5D which happened to be sitting on my pelican case accidentally fell from a height of 12" onto the carpeted floor

12 inches isn't much of a fall, especially onto carpet.

Aug 05 06 06:53 am Link