Forums > General Industry > what not to do

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

I went to a shoot today. I didn't know whether there was going to be a makeup artist or not, so the agency advised me to come with my makeup done just in case.

It turned out there was a MUA. At first she praised my makeup job and said my skin looked great. But later when it came time to touch up she started pointing out all kinds of flaws: This color is off. This isn't even, why did you do that? There's discoloration in your skin here. We'll need to cover that.

She was a sweet foreign woman and I'm sure she was just trying to be helpful, but it still annoyed the heck out of me. I thought, you're a professional, it's your job to fix flaws--I don't need a running commentary on every imperfection you find in my skin and makeup application skills. Way to sap a girl's confidence before she steps in front of the camera.

Not that big a deal, I know. Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Aug 04 06 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

You don't think you learned anything from her criticism?

Aug 04 06 01:30 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Sort of, but not really. I mean, I'm well aware of my skin imperfections and I know my foundation is not a perfect match.

I just think you should refrain from criticizing a person's appearance unless they ask for it.

Aug 04 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Pretty typical, actually. And unfortunate. Because very often, the person a model spends the most time on set with is the make-up artist. The last thing I need is a make-up artist who's going to hand me a model who's confidence is shredded or now is irritated and has a bad attitude. No skill is good enough to compensate for that.

Aug 04 06 01:38 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Pretty typical, actually.

Really? I've worked with many makeup artists and none of them have done that before.

Aug 04 06 01:40 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Oh, shit. 1,000 posts.

Aug 04 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Don't know how many make-up artists I've seen and heard give agency girls a detailed critique of their skin condition, etc. As if they feel the need to convince you that you need them or something...

My guess is it was the fact that the make-up was already done, she just needed you to know that she could do it better. Silly but there ya go.

Aug 04 06 01:42 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

My guess is it was the fact that the make-up was already done, she just needed you to know that she could do it better. Silly but there ya go.

It was weird because when I found there was a MUA, I was sure she would have me take all my makeup off and start over. I was totally cool with that. In fact I would have preferred it to listening her criticize my makeup skills.

Aug 04 06 01:46 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Don't know how many make-up artists I've seen and heard give agency girls a detailed critique of their skin condition, etc. As if they feel the need to convince you that you need them or something...

A shame. I guess I'm lucky I don't have to deal with that more often.

Aug 04 06 01:49 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

could have been much worse. the shoot could have begun with a lecture on why you do NOT wear makeup to a shoot.

Aug 04 06 03:16 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

oldguysrule wrote:
could have been much worse. the shoot could have begun with a lecture on why you do NOT wear makeup to a shoot.

Yes, that would have been worse.  I feel so much better now.

Aug 04 06 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
Oh, shit. 1,000 posts.

:::: hands der princess a bar of soap ::::

Aug 04 06 04:04 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Bruce Talbot wrote:

:::: hands der princess a bar of soap ::::

Oh, come on. Doesn't that merit strong language? That's 1,000 little snippets of my life that have disappeared into the black hole of these forums

Aug 04 06 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

Oh, come on. Doesn't that merit strong language? That's 1,000 little snippets of my life that have disappeared into the black hole of these forums

Oh no, no, no.  It's to get all that nasty make up off. Silly _Cinnamon!

tongue

bt

Aug 04 06 04:08 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Bruce Talbot wrote:
Oh no, no, no.  It's to get all that nasty make up off. Silly _Cinnamon!

tongue

bt

Uh huh.  I'll accept that cuz I like you. wink

Aug 04 06 04:10 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
Uh huh.  I'll accept that cuz I like you. wink

She likes me, ......she rilly likes me!

OOOooOOOooooOOoo

:::: faints ::::

(( thump ))

Aug 04 06 04:19 am Link

Model

A Yetunde

Miami, Florida, US

awww lol I think your feelings were hurt. Never take things like that personally. She's a make up artist and the fact that that wasn't her work, of course she'll pick on you.. brush it off babz.. I'm sure you gained a thing or two and truth or not I think she learned something from you too..

Y-

Aug 04 06 01:47 pm Link