Forums > General Industry > Can where you live hinder you???

Photographer

Demendtions Photography

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I am a photographer in Nashville, TN. I have had the chance to shoot with some great people here. I have really thought of some ideas and i know they will be great images. I'm having a problem with in the box people because here in the south fashion and commercial art is not as strong as it is in the other regions... I have talk to Art Directors, who love the ideas but think it will do better in another market, that sounds great just if it was that easy to up and move to another market, how can I get my ideas out to other markets, yet keep it so that they can't be used. I'm just tryung to learn, so if this has been posted before I do apologize, just needed thoughts, and opinions. thanks

Tony

Aug 03 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Demendtions Photography wrote:
having a problem with in the box people because here in the south fashion and commercial art is not as strong as it is in the other regions...

You answered your own question...

Aug 03 06 03:58 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

Ever thought you might just be the pioneer for your area? Why does something or someone else have to be established in your area for you to succeed?

If that were the case, Lewis & Clark would have stayed home.

Nemi

Aug 03 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Demendtions Photography

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Nemesis73 wrote:
Ever thought you might just be the pioneer for your area? Why does something or someone else have to be established in your area for you to succeed?

If that were the case, Lewis & Clark would have stayed home.

Nemi

Thanks for that. You are right but I am a young guy in a place of old photographers, just looking for advice on how to make it work. You know what they say two heads are better than one. I am one head going up against a wall of fifty heads or so.

Aug 03 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

It can in a way. Based on my experiences - for years and years and years I have seen people in my area struggle and either give up or move. Many have done much better moving to NYC or LA (for some reason a lot move to FL too).

There is more interest both in the arts AND in the commercial side in the 'major markets'. You can still carve a niche just about anywhere, its just there is more opportunity some places than others. I suspect it is probably just as hard for the models.

Aug 03 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

IDtenTANGO

Denton, Texas, US

As I see it, you'd be working your ass off either way...

Stay, and you have to create a market for your style by aggressively marketing yourself, working with a limited number or like-minded individuals, and convincing other people that your style is worth-while even in between the coasts.  It may not work in the end, but if it does, you're a pioneer, and one-of-a-kind, until the market floods to adjust to the new demand you've created.

Head to a coast, and try to elbow the other photographers out of the way while you angle for the prime jobs.  There's more work to be had, but you still have to work hard to distinguish youself from the crowd.

Aug 03 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Yes, it slows down your growth. For some odd reason it does.

Aug 03 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

As Mr. Miyagi says in The Karate Kid II, "Best block, no be there."

By extrapolation, we can assume that the best attack is to be there.

Aug 03 06 04:29 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Location has a lot to do with it. I have to drive at least an hour and half to get to a photographer. It stinks...but you have to make the best of what you have. As said before, you could pioneer what's not already in your area.

Aug 03 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Demendtions Photography

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thanks for the help. I have really turned it up a notch and have tried to get people to see things how I see it. Some of my shots have had just that natural look to it but that is what people relate to because it is not that high end stuff that people wish they had. I am going to work hard to perfect my craft and see how far I can go. As you all have stated I will either be a pioneer or I'll just have to move on and see what I can do after that...

Aug 24 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Can where you live hinder you???

No, can't imagine it could.

Aug 24 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Demendtions Photography wrote:
Thanks for that. You are right but I am a young guy in a place of old photographers, just looking for advice on how to make it work. You know what they say two heads are better than one. I am one head going up against a wall of fifty heads or so.

Surely, a few of those old guys must have gotten complacent, are no longer giving the client the responsive service they once did.  Identify opportunities, offer a fresh look and some enthusiasm (along with quality product, of course), produce on time and within budget, and you're in.

One advantage of a regional market is that you're up against hundreds of people instead of tens of thousands.  The potential of a mega-client may be less, but it also won't  take you 10 years to network, and you won't be competing with the very best in the world.  A friend in a place about half the size of where you're at recently used this formula to good success, he's now a major player in his home city and only in his late 20s.

That's on the commercial side.  On the art side, it means either limiting oneself to a local market, or travel.  I worked in a major market until five years ago, then moved to someplace with a population of only 128,000.  I shoot more now than I did in the big city, but I live in a community where art is part of daily life, and I travel almost every month.

Aug 24 06 02:00 pm Link