Forums > General Industry > Safety and Being Legit

Model

Bella K

Chicago, Illinois, US

I was contacted the other night on AIM by a man who offered me $800 and paid travel/expenses for a shoot located in Florida.  At first I was elated because it's hard to find good paying work on your own and without an agent.  But then I inquired further considering something just didn't feel right, something was off...but what?

So I continue to grill this supposed photographer about the shoot...all the usual shoot details.  It was going to be for a bondage themed shoot but no nudity, just rope stuff and etc.  This seemed to good to be true!  So he asks for my number so his references can call me, yet he kept trying to call me despite we were already chatting online.  I also asked which site hosted his portfolio and of which he said he didn't post his portfolio...This seemed strange...How did he contact me then?  Through casually browsing Model Mayhem...

With that said...I grill him harsher...I sensed treachery.  So I ask him about his equipment, camera and programs...and he pauses for a long time to respond and then says he doesn't know...a Nikon maybe?  I asked him how much he paid...$500...and he didn't even know the MP of his camera or it's capacity...I am also a photographer and I know plenty of photographers who spend up to $5000 for their cameras and we all know our MP sizes and capacity.  And apparently he wanted me to stay at his house during the two day shoot...*sighs*  I also asked him what he did for a living...again the long pause then he just said he traded commodities...BUT FOR WHAT COMPANY?  He said he worked for himself and then that was the last straw for me. 

I told him out right (despite it may have seemed rude) that he needs to get some sort of site and learn how to use his camera!  Though I am fully aware that there still are pervys out there with cameras that just so happen to know about their equipment and have sites...But at least you can find out who they've worked with!  I always do background checks...I've had bad experiences and I have vowed never to be duped again!

Bella K

Aug 03 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

thats sucks, but atleast your smart enough to get the facts first and actually ask questions before you got into a sticky and uncomfortable and maybe even dangerous situation.

Kudos to you.

Sadly, some stories like yours end up with the naive model going to the shoot and ending up getting raped or stranded or worse.

Aug 03 06 01:53 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Take down your aim screenname first of all. People troll MM looking for models to contact to see if they will take the bait.
I only have mine up because I get pure joy out of screwing with people who contact me with ludicrous offers.

Aug 03 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Geez girl thats a chilling story.  No telling what this fucker was up to.  Girls, learn the industry lingo.  You did very well in defusing the whole story with just a couple simple questions.  A photographer that describes his equipment as "Nikon, maybe"?  Holy shit.  That should have been the signal to end the conversation then and there.

Aug 03 06 02:53 pm Link

Model

Amanda Padilla

New York, New York, US

Yeah take ur AIM offf this site..

I got some funky IMS from this site that freaked me out.   So I just took it off, and they all stopped! there some crazy people out there.

There somone who uses this site to hook up with girls! kinda gross...and hes not even a model or has modeling photos up. I reported him but hes still on.

Aug 03 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

glad you are safe..... good job

Aug 03 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I promise, not ALL photographers in Florida are creeps.
I even know how many megapix my Nikon is!

Aug 03 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

SLE Photography wrote:
I promise, not ALL photographers in Florida are creeps.
I even know how many megapix my Nikon is!

Yeah??  Prove it!

Aug 03 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

when you posted he wanted you to stay at his house i sensed a bad vibe. not all photographers are creepy......just use best judgement.

Aug 03 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Bella K wrote:
So I ask him about his equipment, camera and programs...and he pauses for a long time to respond and then says he doesn't know...a Nikon maybe?

Run! Flee! Danger Will Robinson!

A photographer would more likely forget their children's names than their camera details.

He's a fraud.

Aug 03 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

why do you people list your IM screen names here or ANYWHERE on the internet? why not your phone numbers and home addresses, that way freaks could mapquest their way to pick you up and avoid all the hassle associated with giving directions?

Aug 03 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

rp_photo wrote:
A photographer would more likely forget their children's names than their camera details.

Heh, isn't that the truth...ummm.  Kathryn. Birthdate?  whew.  Still remember that too.  But then again, I also said happy birthday to my camera the other day...

Very scary story however, and I'm glad you avoided what could have been a frightening or very threatening situation. 

Having a 14 year old daughter that one day could quite easily get into modelling and even in general living in a large city, scares the heck out of me some days.

Aug 03 06 08:37 pm Link