Forums > General Industry > What is normal?

Photographer

Henry Sanders

Hello MM.  I am new to the site.  I first reg. in May but did not add a port. until just recently.  I was excited about getting started, taking pictures and updating my prot.  I have scanned the states closest to me and have found many models who say that they need photos and want to update their port.  The problem is, all most none of them have  responded.  Not even to say "No Im not interested".  Only one model responded.  Is this normal?  If not, then what is normal?  Any advice is appreciated.

Aug 03 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

yes

Aug 03 06 01:41 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

What kind of models did you write to? and what kind of work do you do?
If your new to the buisniss write in spesifics what kind of shots you want, by looking at you port I see only headshots, is that what you do? There is not much info on your site, and most models like to know what kind of photographer theire going to work with.

my 2 cents..

Aug 03 06 01:45 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

MsHeidi wrote:
If your new to the buisniss write in spesifics what kind of shots you want, by looking at you port I see only headshots, is that what you do? There is not much info on your site, and most models like to know what kind of photographer theire going to work with.

If that doesn't work offer them booze.

Aug 03 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Henry Sanders wrote:
Hello MM.  I am new to the site.  I first reg. in May but did not add a port. until just recently.  I was excited about getting started, taking pictures and updating my prot.  I have scanned the states closest to me and have found many models who say that they need photos and want to update their port.  The problem is, all most none of them have  responded.  Not even to say "No Im not interested".  Only one model responded.  Is this normal?  If not, then what is normal?  Any advice is appreciated.

It's the internet where it's normal to be abnormal.

Aug 03 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

it is normal; keep ya head up, partner

Aug 03 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yep, it's the norm here.

Aug 03 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

It's not normal at all.  They usually beat down your door to get you to shoot with them and then "no show".  Now that's normal.

Aug 03 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

Envy wrote:

If that doesn't work offer them booze.

Is that what I have been doing wrong?

Aug 03 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

I'm in Ohio also and find at times it like pulling teeth so to speak to get a model lined up. I just figured out last night my batting average is about 10% on actually getting to shoot with a model I contact.

Aug 03 06 02:28 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Bryan Patrick Coleman wrote:

Is that what I have been doing wrong?

precisely.

Aug 03 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Perfectly normal.  But my attitude is, if they can't answer an email, what are the chances they will show up for a shoot?  You will find that the great majority of models will blow you off, the great majority of ones who respond result in a lot of to-ing and fro-ing without every setting anything up.  But I use a couple of models a year, so not a big deal and you can connect with good models.  So send a bunch of emails, I guess, and don't worry too much.

Aug 03 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Sanders

Great stuff everyone.  Thanks a bunch.  I guess sooner or later the law of averages will pay off in my favor.

Aug 03 06 03:42 pm Link

Model

Ximena Barreto

Monterey, California, US

Henry,  I admire your enthusiam...however, I would suggest you purchase a few books on how to do photography on the genres you are interested in, use local people to practice on (friends, co-workers, family) and build a portfolio of quality photographs, and after you do this, then the models will start calling back!!!!

Aug 03 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Myke Newman

Memphis, Tennessee, US

yes, this is the norm, so don't worry about it.

Aug 03 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Normal is a setting on your dishwasher.

Aug 03 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

just keep trying and theyll respond , some how , some way .

Aug 03 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Landon

Aden, Alberta, Canada

Envy wrote:

precisely.

so envy.. what kind of drink would you like me to make you?

Aug 03 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Sanders

Thanks everyone.

Aug 04 06 07:31 am Link