Forums > General Industry > Models On The Tracks...

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

I never understood the common, if not overdone, act of photographing models sitting, standing or lying on railway tracks.  What's the attraction here?  Comments?

Aug 01 06 11:06 pm Link

Model

Brittany H

Beverly Hills, California, US

And don't forget the standing in the middle of the street....it goes under the cliche' threads tho...do a search.  But I know it.  Done it...did it....it's not cool anymore!  wink

Aug 01 06 11:08 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Aug 01 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jaime Ibarra

Austin, Texas, US

Don't forget brick walls, gas masks, angel wings, and lying in the bathtub crying your mascara down your face.

Aug 01 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Sorry... not meaning to start another cliche thread.

Just looking for what a photog might be specifically trying to say with a photo of a model on the tracks.  I just don't understand the statement or art here.  Or perhaps I'm looking too deep.

Aug 01 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

g-man

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:
I never understood the common, if not overdone, act of photographing models sitting, standing or lying on railway tracks.  What's the attraction here?  Comments?

Never done it, but if given the chance, why not?  Might learn something.  If conditions are safe, maybe a moving train could be featured in the shot.  Shooting with a backdrop behind the model isn't an original idea either.

Aug 02 06 05:42 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Yeah, it is a cliche, and yeah, I'm bored (!), but the rails are often used to lead the eye into the shot, and then to frame the model as the track goes off into the distance.  That's the theory, anyway.

Aug 02 06 05:46 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I never fails to amaze me.  Why do so many people CARE about what other photographers are doing?  If it doesn't suit your taste... your browser has a BACK button you can click on.

I've seen various types of shots, lighting setups, poses, props and locations used over and over and over again.  What's next?  "Why do so many photographers use a 3 strobe setup?" or "Why do so many models look at the camera?".

Photography in general is full of cliche.  What media isn't?  Should all photographers start shooting abstract so no one copies each other?

Just use your back button.  Kinda like what you did when you got 1/2 way through my rant.

-PKD

Aug 02 06 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Craiger

Lakeland, Florida, US

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
I never fails to amaze me.  Why do so many people CARE about what other photographers are doing?  If it doesn't suit your taste... your browser has a BACK button you can click on.

I've seen various types of shots, lighting setups, poses, props and locations used over and over and over again.  What's next?  "Why do so many photographers use a 3 strobe setup?" or "Why do so many models look at the camera?".

Photography in general is full of cliche.  What media isn't?  Should all photographers start shooting abstract so no one copies each other?

Just use your back button.  Kinda like what you did when you got 1/2 way through my rant.

-PKD

ditto...

Aug 02 06 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Nick's Clicks

Lansing, Michigan, US

The damsel tied to the railroad tracks is an American art tradition. It goes back to the Civil War era, when it showed up in a play or two, and later on, in silent films. Saving the damsel in distress in the nick of time from the dastardly Sniedley Whiplash was the noble and heroic thing to do. More recently, Rocket J. Squirrel had success at this.

Aug 02 06 07:03 am Link

Photographer

A. KAYE

Richardson, Texas, US

NEVER TRIED IT
I ASSUME IT'S A DESIGN ELEMENT
ALSO, EVERYTHING OFTEN ENOUGH BECOMES A CLICHE
THE TRICK IS TO MAKE IT INTERESTING
EVER SEE A FILM WITH A NEW PLOT LINE ?

Aug 02 06 07:07 am Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Empty train tracks represent abandonment and loss. But the fact that they stretch on for as far as the eye can see is a metaphor for life moving forward. The model is symbolizing hope in a disparaging situation.

I did it on my second shoot.

Aug 02 06 07:17 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

A. KAYE wrote:
NEVER TRIED IT

Ditto.

Aug 02 06 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Some of you are photographers, right? And some of you who are photographers recognize the principle of leading lines in the composition of photograpjhs, right? It is hard to imagine stronger leading lines than roads, railroad tracks, and architecture.
Maybe such thing are overdone and we need to look for subtler compositions, but it is certainly a well known and good vehicle to composition. It's as well known and as important as the rule of thirds. Just maybe that's why.

Aug 02 06 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Bounddreams

Largo, Florida, US

Nick's Clicks wrote:
The damsel tied to the railroad tracks is an American art tradition. It goes back to the Civil War era, when it showed up in a play or two, and later on, in silent films. Saving the damsel in distress in the nick of time from the dastardly Sniedley Whiplash was the noble and heroic thing to do. More recently, Rocket J. Squirrel had success at this.

Exactly...And IMHO, its not done enough. Its a classic. Now as far as the model not being tied to the tracks...perhaps a bit overdone. But certainly not as overdone as photos with guitars. I dont quite get that one...

Aug 02 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Lens N Light wrote:
Some of you are photographers, right? And some of you who are photographers recognize the principle of leading lines in the composition of photograpjhs, right? It is hard to imagine stronger leading lines than roads, railroad tracks, and architecture.
Maybe such thing are overdone and we need to look for subtler compositions, but it is certainly a well known and good vehicle to composition. It's as well known and as important as the rule of thirds. Just maybe that's why.

Best answer!

I just did my first "in the middle of the road" and "on railroad track" shot last week (two separate sessions/models) and I am loving them.

Aug 02 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

Because rail road tracks are soooo... pretty smile

Aug 02 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Jenger Snapps

San Antonio, Florida, US

Bryan Patrick Coleman wrote:

LMAO... that's what I always say...

Aug 02 06 11:55 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:
Sorry... not meaning to start another cliche thread.

Just looking for what a photog might be specifically trying to say with a photo of a model on the tracks.  I just don't understand the statement or art here.  Or perhaps I'm looking too deep.

The photographer is trying to say, specifically:

I cannot come up with anything original.

Aug 02 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

dani faye

Brooklyn, New York, US

I've done it at least 3 times and i still don't get it!

Aug 02 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Nick's Clicks wrote:

Now that makes sense.  Thanks for the answer.

Aug 02 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Is there really anything NEW?

Even todays music has it's roots in all the music that came before it. Cliche' is a harsh term on MM. The cliche' thread was fun because we as photgrpahers were poking fun at ourselves. But to down or speak poorly of any style of shot that is done or TRIED is in poor professioal taste.

We will see the same set ups over and over as newbies are learning, as old hacks bring back the past and as fresh minds put a new spin on an old theme. It's all up for grabs and should be looked at for what it is. An adventure into art.

Let none of us forget our very first shoots and I am willing to bet we have all shot something "cliche" at on time or another.

Anyone shot on a MONORAIL yet?

:-)

Aug 02 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I use train tracks on occasion on my damsel-in-distress shoots.  Very Perils of Pauline, of course.  The shoots are usually a lot of fun, and we usually get some great shots that fit the genre.  Several models here on MM have done train track shots with me: Jetta (MM 114124), Layla Mercedes (MM 89385), Tatiana (MM 24040), and a couple of models that I have worked with here have done some damsel-in-distress/railroad shoots for me on commission: Fayth (MM 21347, and she also got her mom to do some photos of this as well!) and Kiera (MM 91293).

Dunno if this is the answer you're looking for, but it is something I do photograph.  smile

Aug 02 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Moraxian wrote:
Dunno if this is the answer you're looking for, but it is something I do photograph.  smile

Yep, as someone else mentioned, the damsel-in-distress angle was the one I wasn't thinkin' of.  Thanks.

Aug 02 06 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

p51

Olympia, Washington, US

And it's also soooooo illegal.
Being on RR tracks might be common, but it's no less trespassing than if you walked into someone else's back yard without permission.
It's also horribly dangerous. I've volunteered for lots of RR museums and tourist operations. We've almost run down several people walking tracks or hanging out there. A friend of mine who's an Amtrak engineer in Maryland run over a couple having sex on the tracks once. Splashed both of them all over the front of his locomotive (on the "Northest Corridor" between Washington DC and Boston, the trains run off overhead wires and can't be heard until they're right where you're standing).
I'd never, EVER get photos illegally that way, and it has nothing to do with cliches or not!

Aug 02 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Blackmirror Photogenics

New York, New York, US

All photographers have cliches. I have done hundreds and I bet you have some. Nothing new under the sun.

Aug 02 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

p51 wrote:
And it's also soooooo illegal.
Being on RR tracks might be common, but it's no less trespassing than if you walked into someone else's back yard without permission.
It's also horribly dangerous. I've volunteered for lots of RR museums and tourist operations. We've almost run down several people walking tracks or hanging out there. A friend of mine who's an Amtrak engineer in Maryland run over a couple having sex on the tracks once. Splashed both of them all over the front of his locomotive (on the "Northest Corridor" between Washington DC and Boston, the trains run off overhead wires and can't be heard until they're right where you're standing).
I'd never, EVER get photos illegally that way, and it has nothing to do with cliches or not!

It is tresspassing, but there are unused and safe tracks out there for use.  When I did my last tracks shoot out on the Eastern Shore of MD with Layla and Jetta, we knew the tracks weren't being used because there was a derelict train sitting on the set of rails we were using about 200 yards down from us...so unless a miracle occurred, we were safe. 

Another set of tracks I used once had bleachers in front of them... really.  When the outdoor Thomas the Tank Engine show comes to town, that's where they set it up.  smile

But P51 is right, it is tresspassing, and if you are shooting on the tracks and are asked to leave... leave.

Aug 02 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

p51

Olympia, Washington, US

Moraxian wrote:
Another set of tracks I used once had bleachers in front of them... really.  When the outdoor Thomas the Tank Engine show comes to town, that's where they set it up.  smile

But P51 is right, it is tresspassing, and if you are shooting on the tracks and are asked to leave... leave.

I think I know where you're talking about, and if it's the same place, that's a tourist RR. If anyone trespassing there slips and falls, they can sue. For a tourist operation, that could kill the whole thing. It happens all the time.
Even if it's not, "abandoned" or not, SOMEONE owns the tracks and right of way. Railroads have theuir own police forces who can arrest you, and they often do depending on what RR it is!

Aug 03 06 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Star Photography

Portland, Maine, US

Two blondes were walking through the woods when they came upon some tracks in the snow. 

"Those are moose tracks", said the first blonde.

"No, they're deer tracks", said the second blonde.

They were still arguing when the train hit them.

Aug 03 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

James Johnson

Anaheim, California, US

PK Digital Imaging wrote:

-PKD

Could not have said it better.

Aug 03 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

KMPHOTOGRAPHY

There must be something special and thought provoking about shooting on RR tracks because I have seen more than one thread on here about this choice of setting. And yes, I shoot there quite often.

Aug 03 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've done railroad track shots twice. Yeah - twice! I love railroad tracks. I think there is a mystique about them and they make a nice pattern/background. It's no different than sitting by a tree or in front of a muslin. There's no "statement" - it's just a backdrop.

In fact, I've got a shoot planned at a train museum out here and I might just do MORE track shots!  HA!

Aug 04 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:
Empty train tracks represent abandonment and loss. But the fact that they stretch on for as far as the eye can see is a metaphor for life moving forward. The model is symbolizing hope in a disparaging situation.

I did it on my second shoot.

And as Paul Simon wrote (and sang) "Everybody loves the sound of as train in the distance.
                                                     Everybody thinks it's true."

Aug 04 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:

Yep, as someone else mentioned, the damsel-in-distress angle was the one I wasn't thinkin' of.  Thanks.

I've often considered the possibility of reversing the roles....HUGE bodybuilder type tied to the tracks with a dominatrix and whip standing over him....It CAN be fun!

Aug 04 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Britni Hall wrote:
And don't forget the standing in the middle of the street....it goes under the cliche' threads tho...do a search.  But I know it.  Done it...did it....it's not cool anymore!  wink

Or sunset shots at the beach..in all of photography nothing is more prolific than sunsets!  And while your at it why not add hanging on to an old bridge? If it works for the photgrapher and the model then it works. Who gets to name what is cool or cliche? As for RR tracks.. https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1089255 > I like the contrast of harsh and soft, the deminishing prespective of the tracks leading to the model and the over all iconic effect of the isolation and man's hand on the land aspects as well.

Mike

Aug 04 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

A. KAYE wrote:
NEVER TRIED IT

Bingo.
(But please don't shout).

That is why I did a series on RR Tracks. The parallel lines of the ties as they get closer together contrasted with the asymmety of the converging curving rails makes for an interesting design element without detracting from the model.

Although I see where other photographers are coming from with the nostalgia & metaphor factors too.

Aug 04 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Someone please show me a model shot that hasn't been done before.

hands cupping breasts, hip off side, girl in city, girl on tracks, girl on beach, girl in car, girl in abandoned bldg, girl in glasses, girl in bikini, sophist woman in design clothes in dark set shot with ring flash, anything shot with ring flash, maxim look, cheesy glamour look, retro, super old retro, hotel  retro, chick in hotel, futuristic, goth, girl in nun outfit, woman in schoolgirl clothes, those freaking angelwings, photoshop assemblage compositing, naked chick in nature, naked chick in urban setting, naked chick on chair, two naked chicks on bed, woman in shower, woman in bathtub, woman in kitchen, chick on toilet, naked woman covered by rose petals, caution tape, bubbles, the madonna, the crucifiction, venus on a halfshell, etc etc etc.

It's ALL been done.

Aug 04 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

hands cupping breasts, hip off side, girl in city, girl on tracks, girl on beach, girl in car, girl in abandoned bldg, girl in glasses, girl in bikini, sophist woman in design clothes in dark set shot with ring flash, anything shot with ring flash, maxim look, cheesy glamour look, retro, super old retro, hotel  retro, chick in hotel, futuristic, goth, photoshop assemblage compositing, naked chick in nature, naked chick in urban setting, naked chick on chair, two naked chicks on bed, woman in shower, woman in bathtub, woman in kitchen, chick on toilet, naked woman covered by rose petals, caution tape, bubbles, the madonna, the crucifiction, venus on a halfshell, etc etc etc.

It's ALL been done.

I beg to differ, I don't think it's ALL been done? I haven't seen any nudes of models (male or female) who happen to be in wheelchairs or have other "impairments".

Aug 04 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

KM von Seidl wrote:

hands cupping breasts, hip off side, girl in city, girl on tracks, girl on beach, girl in car, girl in abandoned bldg, girl in glasses, girl in bikini, sophist woman in design clothes in dark set shot with ring flash, anything shot with ring flash, maxim look, cheesy glamour look, retro, super old retro, hotel  retro, chick in hotel, futuristic, goth, girl in nun outfit, woman in schoolgirl clothes, those freaking angelwings, photoshop assemblage compositing, naked chick in nature, naked chick in urban setting, naked chick on chair, two naked chicks on bed, woman in shower, woman in bathtub, woman in kitchen, chick on toilet, naked woman covered by rose petals, caution tape, bubbles, the madonna, the crucifiction, venus on a halfshell, etc etc etc.

It's ALL been done.

Buddy Hacket, the old comedian, said that unless you can go over to the wall and pull nails out with your manhood, you don't have any original material.  Well, there's a challenge for you MMers who gripe about the lack or originality!

smile

Aug 04 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

I beg to differ, I don't think it's ALL been done? I haven't seen any nudes of models (male or female) who happen to be in wheelchairs or have other "impairments".

check out Io's port. 

That reminds me, there are lactating granny shots, naked guys, guys almost undressed,  guys in boxers, guys in briefs, thong boys, hairy guy shots, bondage shots, the prison themed shots, underwater shots, shots in the air, jumping, falling, flailing.....

Aug 04 06 10:45 am Link