Forums > General Industry > Face vs. Figure?

Model

Leftpinkytoe

Portland, Oregon, US

I've looked around MM a good bit, and I notice that there's an interesting variance in the models that get the most attention and the most offers for shoots.

Some models have unique, expressive, gorgeous faces, but they have bodies that aren't not typical of a paid, working model. Others have great bodies, or builds that are made for the runways and the magazines, but when you get a closer look at the face, it's bland features and dead eyes.

Thing is, there are models in both groups that seem to get a lot of offers... so there's apparently room for both.

So, my question is, what draws y'all in more? When you think "hey, I'd like to work with her/him," do you find yourself drawn in more by the figure, or the face?

Aug 01 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Marty Lowman

Windsor, California, US

Well it depends I'm what I'm shooting for - face + figure is always a winning combination, but if I'm doing figure studies, then the face is secondary since the face may not even show in the final shot.  On the other hand if I'm trying to shoot some dynamite head shots, then the figure is secondary.

Aug 01 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

IDtenTANGO

Denton, Texas, US

If I'm just scanning thumbnails in a portfolio, on account of the resolution it's the figure that draws me in to see if I like the face...

Aug 01 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Face. I mean, if the figure is questionable, that's easy to work with. If the face is sub-par, there's nothing you can really do, other than crop it out. And that doesn't make for happy TFCD models.

Aug 01 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Ridwan

Sterling, Virginia, US

A good balance of both... Its always about balance for me...

Its the right personality that shines throu after you get past a good face or good body...

Thats just me...

Aug 01 06 01:00 pm Link

Model

jdotblaze

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I THINK MOST PEOPLE ARE DRAWN TO A FABULOUS FIGURE MORE SO THAN A FACE.  I THINK THE OPPOSITE SHOULD BE TRU BUT HEY!

Aug 01 06 01:03 pm Link

Model

Sanchaz

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I agree that it is a balance, but i think the it's 60/40 for the face, because that's the first thing that draws you in and the only thing u see when you have clothes on...

Aug 01 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Ah, the ol' butter face dilemma.

Aug 01 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Frisson

Body, make-up can cover many sins.

Terry

Aug 01 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ridwan

Sterling, Virginia, US

To take it one step farther... its the LOOK... the eyes... that draw me in and keep me...

thats the most important thing...

Aug 01 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

I can usually fake a figure to some extent in PS,
or shoot it in a more flattering manner.
It's harder to fake a face.

I'll take a great face and an average or less body
over a great body and challanging face any day.

Of course it does depend on what you are shooting.

Aug 01 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

Sanchaz

Washington, District of Columbia, US

personally i think i have a balance of both, i tend to wear big clothes so ppl really don't realize i have a body... i like to see the shock on their faces...lol

Aug 01 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

eyes, smile, and attitude.

the last is important; spending 4 hours with a pain in the ass is a NO NO !

Aug 01 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

If the model has the face there's a million ways to work around the body with wardrobe, lighting, posing, focus, etc...

Aug 01 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ken B.

Abington, Pennsylvania, US

I shoot primarily head shots and portraits so the face -- especially the eyes -- are what draws me. Silhouettes and figure study are the obvious exceptions.

Aug 01 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

KMPHOTOGRAPHY

Face and a good attitude and you can deal with the rest.

Aug 01 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

iKON IMAGERY

London, Ontario, Canada

Im a face kinda guy. Figure is important and sometimes very key to certain types of work such as fashion. But if your doing a shoot for a makeup ad...the obvious choice is face.

Aug 01 06 02:49 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I just wish I was 5'9, 110, same face smile

Aug 01 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

it's not just that you 'got it' it's more how you work it;)

Aug 01 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Face - or more precisely, what lies behind it.

Aug 01 06 03:04 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

Good god, me too...sign me up for that:-)

Aug 01 06 03:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

As an MUA, the face attracts me more, but for some reason, on occasion, the face that goes with the 5'11", 125 lb model is stunning, so it all works out!!! smile

Aug 01 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Face.

Wardrobe can cover the figure better than makeup can cover the face.

Aug 01 06 03:15 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

SarahG wrote:
but they have bodies that aren't not typical of a paid, working model.

That would be me. :p

As a result, I tend to look for photographers who do great portraiture.  I figure we both have something to offer the other.

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

LOL-- you and me BOTH.

Aug 01 06 03:17 pm Link

Model

Isabella Stryker

Lowell, Massachusetts, US

I'm usually attracted to the figure and the stlye first, then if the face is not so pretty it can be made interesting with lots of make up.
However when it comes to myself I get offended when people are attracted to my figure first.  I get uncomfortable when I'm doing a shoot where the photographer takes very few pictures of my face and I start to wonder if I'm one of those people who should be wearing lots of make up.

Aug 01 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Andrei Ku

New York, New York, US

There are way more beautiful faces than near-perfect beautiful figures, which attract me stronger...

All in all, I am attracted more often by faces then figures, but that's because flawless figures are rare.

Aug 01 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Haleh Bryan

To be honest with you after years of working with women I find each and every woman whom I have worked with to be uniquely beautiful in their own special way.
I personally take personality and character over just plain old beauty.

Aug 01 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

noohoggin1

Shakopee, Minnesota, US

personally, I give more priority over the face for these reasons:

--it is what first draws attention
--being an illustrator, I can manipulate the figure ("cheapest plastic surgery you'll ever get," I say!)
--sure, I can manipulate the face, but I want my illustrations to actually look like the model, so I avoid that and try to get pretty faces in the first place.

Best,
Tom

Aug 01 06 04:43 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

ignoring my personal opinion for a second, it is absolutely the face that is the most important. a great face is what will get you signed (which will get you work). an okay body can easily be turned into a great body by diet and exercise; aside from plastic surgery, there is nothing to be done with an "eh" face. there are always exceptions to this (in runway for example), but in general.....
now, that was not in reference to art studies. everything then is based on the goal of the photographer.
personally, i like a combination....i like a good body with a unique face.....

Aug 01 06 06:57 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I have a pretty face.  My figure freaks people out.  Judging by the percentage of freak outs, I speculate that approximately 90% of the population prefers a body that they find attractive to a pretty face.

Aug 01 06 07:03 pm Link

Model

Brittany H

Beverly Hills, California, US

I've been told that you must have a great face and a great body to get into a reputatable modeling agency.   That's why they like polorioids.  Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

whatever that means.  lol

Aug 01 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Since a lot of offers are sent by private messages I guess Sarah has a way to read other people'e messages or she wouldn't know who gets the most offers.

Aug 01 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Gerry Hanan

Round Rock, Texas, US

Britni - whatever it means - it describes you, you are beautiful - you have a gorgeous face and a delightful shape - thats just one opinion but I know I'm right smile

Aug 01 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Leony

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

It's a lot easier to re-sculpt the body in post production than it is to remap a face. Although depending on the end use for the image, borrowing parts is acceptable. Of course if it's a test or for an agency, only basic retouching is done... but with practice things like light, pose & angle can minimize negative aspects. Over all unless it's a beauty / head shot, the body occupies more space in the frame, and so would be dominant at first glance... at least for me.

Aug 01 06 07:14 pm Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I would say face, because there are all kind of things you can do even preshoot to reshape a models body such as steel boned corsets (they made 15 inch waist possible for like a 60 year old) flare skirts I hear are slimming, slimming stockings, wear heels for big feet, fancy gloves for mangled working hands, you know tons of stuff body tattoos can be covered, and if its curvey or weight issues, then that will show in the face anyway, and it its only minor, like I said corsets and other control clothing. With a face there is only so much make up, and your other opitions are like a mask... or a bag.

Aug 01 06 07:21 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

SarahG wrote:
I've looked around MM a good bit, and I notice that there's an interesting variance in the models that get the most attention and the most offers for shoots.

Some models have unique, expressive, gorgeous faces, but they have bodies that aren't not typical of a paid, working model. Others have great bodies, or builds that are made for the runways and the magazines, but when you get a closer look at the face, it's bland features and dead eyes.

Thing is, there are models in both groups that seem to get a lot of offers... so there's apparently room for both.

So, my question is, what draws y'all in more? When you think "hey, I'd like to work with her/him," do you find yourself drawn in more by the figure, or the face?

Basically...butterfaces and butterbodies??? yeah i'm the latter! yay!

Seriously there are tonnnnnsss of butterfaces on this site.

Aug 01 06 07:52 pm Link