Forums > General Industry > Does anyone still take film on airlines?

Model

Melissa Bush

Grand Haven, Michigan, US

You can put it through the machines. I have before and there was no damage, but mine was 35 mm film and it was like 400 speed, so I don't know about other types of film.

Aug 01 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

Yup, LAX, Burbank, ABQ and Ft. Lauderdale have all hand-checked film for me as well. I always smile A LOT. And thank them. Helps to have everything out in a clear plastic bag too. I've only had trouble with the actual camera, which they always want to pass through. And usually at LAX, the same guy just wants to talk about my new digital and my old 120. Helps to have photo buffs manning the machines. :-) Renee

Aug 01 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

aduro visum

Sacramento, California, US

Luminos wrote:
Okay, here are the facts on x-ray....

That was the best answer yet.

From my experience, I've just had to always assume that the machine might destroy the film.  I've had 800 speed run through unharmed, and I've had 100 speed absolutely fogged.  I never gamble anymore unless forced.

I just recently passed through CDG in Paris and they were very courteous in providing a hand check.  I've always been very nice, but very direct with the screeners, and have had very few problems.

A note on lead x-ray bags.  I had heard from various sources, that a lot of times when the lead bag goes through, the screener will increase the x-ray in an attempt to see through the bag.  Often times leading to the film getting a heavier dose then without the bag.

Clear ziplock bags and a good attitude have always worked best for me.

Aug 01 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

global vision wrote:
as for fed xing it...they xray much of their cargo now....i am not sure i there is a way to ask them to expemt it from xrays or not

I have emailed FedEx directly to ask this question, just now, but;

Per the last three FedEx representative that I spoke to at FedEx drop off locations, "FedEx does not scan any package or shipment with x-ray machines.  There are no 'Do Not X-ray' labels available, sir."

Aug 01 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Luminos wrote:
o If you travel internationally, both the US and the UK will re-search you (including the x-ray) if you touch down for a connection in the US, as neither will accept the seach done in a foreign country before you are allowed to travel on.  So a round trip internationally with a connection in the US or the UK, will mean 4 zaps to your film if they refuse to hand seach.  More if they pass it through again, which happens often.  I had four rolls of film x-rayed eight times on one flight because the operators wanted the camera case viewed from various angles, the flash cords caused them heart-burn.  I threw the raw film away right in front of them when they were done.

On a related note at Santa Barbara airport after three sets of drunk couples went through the TSA checkpoint before me (oh boy)... The TSA reps refused (including the supervisor who was already there because of the drunk couples) to hand check my fresh rolls of 220.  It was a last minute change in shoot location from Santa Barbara to Miami, and we were already running late because the tickets had been booked for us less than 2 hours before we were to leave.

It's not so much that they refused to hand check the film, it's that they insisted on opening each and every roll all the way to the spool!

After they had finished this procedure with two rolls and confirmed that they would be doing that with all the rolls, I simply asked them to go ahead and throw away the film.  They refused.  I noted that they just took possession of a man's prized pocket knife, and they still refused.  I bundled all the film in to a scanning canister, sent it through the machine, grabbed the scanning canister walked five feet to the nearest trashcan, dumped it, tossed the scanning canister back to the last TSA rep and ran for my flight which had literally called last call waiting for me three times. (really small airport...you can see and hear the gate from the TSA checkpoint)

Aug 01 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

James Jackson wrote:

I have emailed FedEx directly to ask this question, just now, but;

Per the last three FedEx representative that I spoke to at FedEx drop off locations, "FedEx does not scan any package or shipment with x-ray machines.  There are no 'Do Not X-ray' labels available, sir."

And look at how quickly I got a response back:

"Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Facts About FedEx

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Mark Elfren O.) - 08/01/2006 06:50 PM
Dear James:

We received your inquiry. Thank you for your interest in FedEx.

FedEx does not X-ray packages or use scanning devices that affect film or magnetic media. However, other items traveling through our system, such as heavily magnetized material, could inadvertently erase your stored data. You may want to contact our Packaging Design and Development Department at 800.633.7019. They can provide expert advice and even test your packaging to help ensure it is adequate.

We hope this information is helpful. Thanks again for contacting FedEx.

Mark Elfren O.
FedEx Customer Service"

Aug 01 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Impressions

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I am now digital but shot film until very recently also,and have travelled worldwide.I usually get the film developed(negatives)locally in that country and bring them back.I have had a few (but stiill too many)incidents wher I asked for "hand search"of the undevelpoed film cartridges,thinking it would be ok,and then when I got the film and prints back after being processed at home, there was obvious discoloration marks, almost like bands across the images so many of the rolls were rendered useless.I am not sure but believe the TSA people hand scanned the rolls or scanned another way.They were behind a partition and not in full view so I have no way of even knowing(plus I was short one roll....?)Don't trust these people!These were 400 or 800 speed film.Think if and when I do shoot film again,will just do as before,get the film processed at least to negatives locally.

Aug 01 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Ian L Sitren

Palm Springs, California, US

Take all of your film out of the boxes. Regardless of what ASA you have, throw in a few rolls of 800 or more; or they will tell you it is ok to put it all through the metal detectors which I just do not trust. Take it all and put it in a clear plastic bag and request a hand inspection. You have a good chance that they will take each and every roll out and individually swab it for explosives. This can be time consuming so if you are one who gets to the airport at the last minute you need to change your habits.

As far as exposed film, I just would not trust it and now you are faced with them wanting to open an exposed roll. Doesn't happen, right! Murphy's law says it will. So I would do what we used to do with film. Send a few rolls back in a few seperate Fedex overnight boxes to yourself or your lab. That way if one gets lost you have the others. Fedex does not x-ray but mark it film anyway.

This is one of the reasons I went all digital. I fly all of the time every month and just would not want to go through this ever again.

Aug 01 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Digital Soup wrote:
How do you do it? in a lead bag? brief case as carry on?
I have to shoot a wedding in hawaii and wonder if I should prepurchase film or get it on the Islands. I think it will be expensive over there.

Should i process it before i bring it back?

Please help.

A double layer lead bag will protect up to ISO 400 35mm. Forget 120, 220 or large format. Buy it there and develop it there. Even Ilford PanF 120 ISO 50  had numbers in the sky ;-( I used to get a hand check. I don't think they will do that anymore.

Aug 01 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

This is a great post with lots of useful information. I appreciate all of your input.
Thank you so much

Aug 01 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I carry a bunch of 120 Delta 3200 in a nylon mesh bag and request hand inspection.  In the last three years I've had only one problem and that was at Heatherow here a contaminated swab set off a beeping on my film and I had to persuade the security manager not to send the lot of exposed film through X-ray.  I was sweating it.   She reswabbed, got a negative and chewed out her staff for failure to follow procedures.  Nevertheless, I now avoid Heatherow and connect through Frankfurt instead.

In the US TSA is required by law to hand inspect film if that's requested. 

Some inspectors will remove film from boxes, but only once has one insisted in breaking the foil pouches.  That was on a return after a shoot, so I ostentatiously dumped the unexposed film in the trash can next to the inspector and continued home.  Film is cheap and I wouln't ever use iffy opened packages for any photoshoot anyway.

-Don

Aug 02 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

Then again, they did just look at me and laugh at Charles de Gaulle in Paris when I asked for a hand check of my film....

Aug 02 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

Sweeney wrote:
I work at one of the security checkpoints at MSP.  Just tell the screener at the walk thru metal dect you want you film hand ckecked and they have to honor your request.

Julie

Julie is right. Just hand check it. Don't mess around.
I fly 2 to 4 times a week with over 500,000 frequent flier miles, and have never had a problem.

Aug 02 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

imagine studios

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've had a few arguments with screeners in Chicago as well as vegas. They tell me that if it isn't fast film the machine is ok-I know better. My solution: All film is out of canisters in a clear ziplock,I take a black marker cover the "real asa" and write 1600 on the cartridge. I hand it to the screener and tell him/her that they are reloaded with 1600. no more problems anywhere I go. Last trip to vegas the screener was very nice and told me that if people are jerks that the machine is capable of making toast of your film in a lead bag  if he wises to make that happen-interesting!

Aug 02 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Mark S. Alameel wrote:
What is film?

smile

What is film?  Superior in every way to digital.

And I never try and take my film through x-rays.  I always ask for it to be hand-searched.

Of course, the largely foreign-born airport security people tell you that it's perfectly safe to x-ray the film, but what does Kodak know that they don't know?  That is why 35 mm canisters are opaque now, and why most of my friends who travel and shoot 120 film only buy pro-packs and put the film in tuperware containers.

Aug 02 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

DarkMoonStudios

San Mateo, California, US

Hello there,

There's been a lot of coverage on this topic, but I thought I contribute a few items that haven't been mentioned yet. First f all is the fact the all of the X-ray machines in airports, both for carry-on & for checked baggage, are stronger now than they were 5 years ago. Whyu you ask? After Seot. 11th the airline industry increased th power to these machines. Second several of you have mentioned about high speed film needing to be hand-checked & a way to get your film checked (by throwing in a few rols of 800 speed or higher). What no one has mentionwed yet is that professional film is more sensitive than consumer film. In fact I've had a screener in the USA tell me that if you're using professional film they are required to hand-check it no matter what speed it is. Thrid I shoot a lot of 120 & 220 film. I've usually had no problem with screeners being willing to hand-check it. What I have run into, however, is that they not only want it all removed form the box, but they've insisted on opening the metal wrappers on each & every roll. I've asked why they have to do this, as it's factory sealed, & have yet to get an answer. I think it's kind of stupid that they do this. After all they don't unwrap candy bars (which come in similar type of wrappers) do they? Anyway my advice would be to preshuck your film if traveling with 120 or 220. On a humerous note I too have had 1 of my film cansiters test possitive for explosives (glycerin). Luckily I had an inspector who knowe what film was & after asking a few questions let me through. One final note. If you think flying with film is a headache try taking it with you when going on a cruise. They want to scan all of your bags every single time you reenter the boat. That & they're not to friendly when it comes to hand searching the film. Anyway just my 5 cents. Take it or leave it. Thanks!

-Jason

Aug 02 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

RidzDesign wrote:
I always insist they hand check film... Ive never had a problem in the states but have run into problems overseas...  France in particular gave me all types of grief..

ridwan

french are fuckers with that, ive been told "if u want to get on the plane, take your film thru the machine' in paris several times, despite my protests. i find the best place to handcheck film is in and out of LA, theyre great.
the main thing i would caution ppl on is multiple exposure to xrays. 160 can handle 4 or 5 without problem, but once u start hitting 400 and above, be aware of going thru 5 or 6 xrays to and from your shoot destination, and try to ask for handchecks where possible. the law in most countries states a security point has to check film by hand if there is 3200 film present, so the best thing to do is always have one roll of 3200 and mix it up in the bag with all the other film, then ask to have it handchecked. that way u get what u want, and you're not lying.

Aug 02 06 04:32 am Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

Man...There are So many Photo Shops In Hawaii ........Don't take a chance...Buy It There !!!!!!

If It's for a Pro Shoot, Do you want To Take That Chance ? I got Koak Nps VC and NC with No problems ....

Manny D.

Aug 02 06 04:36 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Downloadable / printable labels

https://www.kodak.com/global/images/en/motion/support/dnx.gif

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat … 340_25.pdf   2.25 x 2.25 inch

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat … 340_35.pdf    3.5 x 3.5 inch

Here is an international version [my own] in English + 11 other languages: [in order from top] French; German; Dutch; Spanish; Portuguese; Italian; Norwegian; Swedish; Finish; Greek; and Russian [save to file and print it as a jpg image]

https://www.studio36.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Do_Not_XRay.jpg

--------

Packing tape

https://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cinemasupplies_1901_60176689

see: http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/donx60yds.html

also available from B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … sku=143540

--------

Ex: KODAK

Air Shipping Film

The requirement of x-ray scanning can be dependent on:

* Is the Shipper considered a "Known Shipper" to the carrier
    * Is the carrier a passenger airline, a freight forwarder, or an integrated carrier
    * Is the shipment origin/destination within the contiguous 48 states

The recommendation regarding Air shipping of film products is for the shipper to contact the sales office of carriers to discuss their shipping needs including avoidance of x-ray scanning due to risk of damaged. The carrier can then provide the shipper with their requirements and processes. Carriers are aware of the sensitive nature of film shipments and are willing to work with film shippers as long as the carrier is in compliance with the requirements given to them by the Homeland Security Dept and the NTSB. Some air transportation options are:

* Air Express for smaller, lighter shipments - including but not limited to companies like Airborne, FedEx, or UPS
    * Air Freight for larger, heavier shipments - including but not limited to companies like BAX Global, Eagle Global Logistics, Excel, or Emery
    * Passenger airlines for light or heavier shipments within certain packaging dimensions based on space available at time of shipment.

The air services provided vary from Next Flight Out/Same Day service to Next Morning, Next Afternoon or Second Day services depending on carrier.

More information can be found on the United States Transportation Security Administration web site: U.S. Transportation Security Administration  http://www.tsa.gov/

---------------

Ex: KODAK

Airport X-Ray Security [and] US Mail Sterilization

This document contains advice for customers who need to transport film by air or via the US Postal Service.

[in part - references to motion picture film not included here]

CHECKED BAGGAGE

Any checked baggage may be subject to high-intensity x-ray scanning in a machine that is out of sight of travelers. Airline check-in agents rarely, if ever, warn travelers of this. Kodak is pressing for warning notices to be posted at check-in desks and for verbal warnings to be given to travelers. Never pack unprocessed film in baggage that will be checked.

HAND-CARRIED BAGGAGE

Carry-on baggage inspection conveyors using low intensity x-rays, used at security checkpoints in US airports, usually do not affect film. However, these machines may now be supplemented in some cases by high intensity machines that will fog all unprocessed film. Travelers should be wary of all scanners at foreign airports.

Travelers should politely insist on hand-inspection of their film. Carry a changing bag for use by the inspector. Demonstrate how it is used, with a can of fogged film as an example. However, there is no guarantee that your request will be granted by local inspectors, who may insist on x-ray inspection. Hand inspection may not be permitted in some airports outside the US.

AIR FREIGHT SERVICES

We understand that express air package shipping services such as Airborne, DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc that use their own aircraft, do not employ x-ray scanning of customers' packages on domestic routes. However, this should be verified when sending film. The same carriers may employ passenger airlines for international routes. Goods shipped as freight on passenger airlines are subject to high-intensity x-ray scanning. It is recommended that film shipped as unaccompanied freight is labeled "DO NOT X-RAY. IF X-RAY IS MANDATORY, DO NOT SHIP / DO NOT X-RAY / CONTACT SENDER URGENTLY: (details)".

LOCAL FILM PURCHASE AND PROCESSING

To minimize the risks of shipping by air, Kodak recommends that motion picture film should be purchased locally through the nearest Kodak sales office. After exposure, the film should be processed at a local motion-picture laboratory. After processing, the film may be safely transported by air.
2. US MAIL STERILIZATION

The United States Postal Service is installing new equipment to sterilize items sent through the mail. For security reasons, they are not disclosing whether this process will be limited to letters, or if parcels and other packages will also be included.

Until further tests are conducted, it would be wise to assume that the high energy beams used in the sterilization equipment will fog or damage all film - processed or unprocessed, exposed or unexposed, negative or print. In addition, photographic prints, slides, DVDs, picture CDs, CD-ROMs, video tapes and even the CCD sensors in video cameras and other products may be affected. Because those materials often contain valuable - and sometimes, irreplaceable, images - Kodak recommends that you err on the side of caution until more information is available.

All imaging materials should be sent via a courier or an express air shipping company that does not use the US postal system. Local laboratories may have additional information and/or offer alternative shipping arrangements.

Nov 2001

Studio36

Aug 02 06 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Telephoto Studio wrote:

What is film?  Superior in every way to digital.

And I never try and take my film through x-rays.  I always ask for it to be hand-searched.

Of course, the largely foreign-born airport security people tell you that it's perfectly safe to x-ray the film, but what does Kodak know that they don't know?  That is why 35 mm canisters are opaque now, and why most of my friends who travel and shoot 120 film only buy pro-packs and put the film in tuperware containers.

I agree with your statement. Superior in every way to digital. When I see a response like this(what is film) I question the persons formal training. To many guppies out there! Just shoot raw. ugh! the only real raw format, IS FILM.

Aug 02 06 11:42 am Link