Forums > General Industry > Selective Nudes

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hi guys,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I don't know about the rest of you but I find we are overloaded with horny, amateur photographers looking to shoot naked girls. My question to all of you is this: As a model, do you think it's fair for me to shoot nudes/implied/topless images with selected professional photographers so as to get the best possible images, irregardless of whether the shoot is paid/TFP? I am very particular about who I do topless/art nude images with and am criticised fairly often for it. I wondered if everyone thought this was unreasonable. To me, those kinds of images are even more important to have a talented photographer shooting them and a GWC just doesn't do me any favours. I'd rather skip the paid shoot and continue to deliver high quality images but apparently that's unprofessional. Also, how does someone go about telling a photographer that this is the reason they don't want to do those shots with him/her? I haven't been able to find a nice way....

Aug 01 06 05:03 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Of course you may choose who to work with and what you will do.  Just make sure everyone knows up front what exactly the shoot is about and what limitations both you and the photographer may impose.

-Don

Aug 01 06 05:12 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Personally, I would feel insulted if you displayed nudes on your portfolio or if I found that you did nudes with so-and-so but then you decline to shoot nudes with me.  That's just a natural reaction.  That gets you on my Blacklist automatically.

I would make only one exception: I would understand it if the other photographer were a "name" photographer such as Ellen von Unwerth or Rankin.  There would still be hard feelings, though. 

But if the other fellow is more or less on the same portion of their career track as I am in - then I would tell you to stick it up where the sun does not shine.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Aug 01 06 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

I have shot nudes with models who have said 'no nudes'...I have had non-nude shoots with models I have seen nude and shot nude before.  Each shoot is different and we decide what we are going to do before hand.  You don't need to appologize for not doing a nude shoot, even if you have done them before.

If it is TFP/CD, you and the photographer decide what the content will be before the shoot.  Don't be talked into anything.  If you cannot agree, then don't do the shoot.

If you are being paid, the photographer decides the content.  If you don't want to do it, just don't do the shoot.

If you are paying, you decide the content, not the photographer..  Period.

Botton line, you don't need to explain anything.  Just draw the line for each shoot you do.  That line can be different for each one.

Aug 01 06 05:15 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I guess I don't understand the question.  Fairness isn't an issue.  It is always up to the model to decide who you want to shoot with.  Nudity isn't something you have to do, it is something you do because you want to.  Clearly, if you decide to shoot nudes it should only be with photographers you are comfortable with.

The decision rests entirely with you.

Aug 01 06 05:18 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

I see no problem with you only working with photographers (male or female) that you want to work with regardless of whether the shoot is nude, clothed or something in between.

Aug 01 06 05:23 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Its all in how you respond.

Providing you respond politely and tactfully you shouldn't ever get a nasty reply back.

At least, I never have smile

Aug 01 06 05:25 am Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

I wanna be on Jay's Blacklist!

Aug 01 06 05:26 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

JAY carreon wrote:
Personally, I would feel insulted if you displayed nudes on your portfolio or if I found that you did nudes with so-and-so but then you decline to shoot nudes with me.  That's just a natural reaction.  That gets you on my Blacklist automatically.

I can see where you would be insulted - you're work is lovely smile

I think what she's getting at is photographers who get upset when she declines their offer and don't understand it's because of the lack of quality in their work.

Yeah it hurts to be rejected, but we all get it. I've gotten over being rejected by a photographer I approached on the basis I was too short for his tastes. Took a while though wink

Aug 01 06 05:31 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

James Graham wrote:
I wanna be on Jay's Blacklist!

Are you offering NOT to pose nude for me James?  In that case, instead of the Blacklist - I'll buy you dinner!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Aug 01 06 05:32 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Rejection happens. I don't take it personally. If you don't want to work with someone then don't - no one's forcing you.

Aug 01 06 05:34 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hi , I have declined a paid nude shoot once myself , I just really didnt like the way the photographer shot , it was very beautiful but did not really catch my eye.and I really did not see how my image with his style would make either of us very happy , perhaps he had a larger vision , but i was not asthetically comfortable , this would have shone through the image.  I do not feel bad about this at all. But then again this is not my only "job".I choose to shoot with people that i have things in common with , or share the same vision with. This for me keeps my artistic  interests involved with the shoot as well.
it is a strange thing but even though a model should be able to be versatile , I just dont see how a nude image in a setting or style that i do not relate to will make me enthused , on a certain level money is of no matter. Then I suppose I could have asked for more to even out the scales... but I would rather stay true to my spirit and artistic vision...

Aug 01 06 05:36 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Nytevision wrote:

I can see where you would be insulted - you're work is lovely smile

I think what she's getting at is photographers who get upset when she declines their offer and don't understand it's because of the lack of quality in their work.

Yeah it hurts to be rejected, but we all get it. I've gotten over being rejected by a photographer I approached on the basis I was too short for his tastes. Took a while though wink

You're so sweet to write that!  If we ever get the chance, I will be happy to photograph you clothed or nude - your choice!

Warmest Wishes,
JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Aug 01 06 05:44 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

JAY carreon wrote:
You're so sweet to write that!

I had to go back and take another look... I just read the a** kissing thread and needed to be sure wink

I can totally understand declining offers from sub-par photographers or even models. After all, when it comes down to it, both parties are putting in time and effort. It's not fair on either person to commit to a shoot where you won't be happy with the results.

Aug 01 06 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Bonita Photography

Bonita, California, US

I don't see any reason for either models or photographers to be upset if one of the parties don't want shoot.  It is not the models choice to work with the photographer, or the photographer's choice to work with the model, its a joint venture.  No excusses are needed from either side.  Kevin

Aug 01 06 06:37 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Models should pick photographers whose work they admire, that's what's important at the end of the day. And if models don't want to shoot nudes, that's 100% acceptable and reasonable, however some shooters may pass up shooting those models, because they don't contribute to the photographer's portfolio as fashion models.
Models ok with nude or topless should find amazing photographers to do a mixed-content test shoot with them, which often gives non-fashion models a chance to get great usable fashion images.

Aug 01 06 07:00 am Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
I guess I don't understand the question.  Fairness isn't an issue.  It is always up to the model to decide who you want to shoot with.  Nudity isn't something you have to do, it is something you do because you want to.  Clearly, if you decide to shoot nudes it should only be with photographers you are comfortable with.

That IS the way it ought to be and very well said.

Aug 01 06 07:03 am Link

Photographer

UnSeenYou

Cleveland, Ohio, US

JAY carreon wrote:

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

THAT position is scary.  It's like dating .... just because she slept with Bill, that does not obligate her to sleep with you. 

Suppose that the model did not want any more nudes or was not shooting nudes at that time?   No model or photographer is obligated to do what the other wants simply because the other wants it.

Aug 01 06 07:08 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

UnSeenYou wrote:
THAT position is scary.  It's like dating .... just because she slept with Bill, that does not obligate her to sleep with you. 

Suppose that the model did not want any more nudes or was not shooting nudes at that time?   No model or photographer is obligated to do what the other wants simply because the other wants it.

Yes - but it's also a photographer's prerogative to choose which models to work with, or not.  For photographers there are many many more "fish in the sea".  In this field, the word "next" can be a double-edged sword.

And we're talking about photography here, not sexual intercourse/coitus/mogambo/trim/etc.

As someone wrote above - nobody likes to be rejected.  Let me add to that: NOBODY LIKES TO BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Aug 01 06 07:13 am Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

JAY carreon wrote:

I would make only one exception: I would understand it if the other photographer were a "name" photographer such as Ellen von Unwerth or Rankin.  There would still be hard feelings, though. 

But if the other fellow is more or less on the same portion of their career track as I am in - then I would tell you to stick it up where the sun does not shine.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

It's always the models choice and models should display only their best work regardless of their choice to shoot with amatuer photogs to make a buck.

Jay as a photographer, I agree with your viewpoint.

mike

Aug 01 06 07:17 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

As Jay has pointed out, photographers are human beings and their feelings will probably get hurt from time to time.  Do not base your modeling decisions on that.  It's not necessary to tell someone their work is crappy unless you want to.  Just decline gracefully, and move on to someone whose work inspires you.  Be selective.  Be very selective.

Aug 01 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Kelly Kooper wrote:
...how does someone go about telling a photographer that this is the reason they don't want to do those shots with him/her? I haven't been able to find a nice way....

I agree with other's who have spoken - it's always your choice. 

But as a photographer I'd actually rather have you tell me something like "I'm sorry, but I don't like your style" or "I'll do this, but not this" than not respond to my inquiry at all.  And if you do decide to shoot, I'd just as soon know the boundaries up front (and before hand) as well.

You have standards, stick to them.

Aug 01 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

JAY carreon wrote:

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jay, you have an exceptional and very strong portfolio.  I understand where you might be coming from, but there could easily be a time when a model just doesn't like the work you do (gasp, choke, sputter!)

A long time ago someone once told me that a fragile ego is usually the first thing that's broken.

Aug 01 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I don't think nudity is the issue in this case, I think your comments about the quality of the photographer's work is what's important.  Why let yourself be shot by ANYONE who can't make a good image, regardless of whether or not you keep your clothes on?

(I'd love to shoot you , BTW  wink )

Aug 01 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Stanley

no need to take things personally in this business, and just because a model doesn't want to work with me isn't going to ruin my day or life.

it just means that there's something missing in my formula to being the most wanted photographer of all time.

all that means is that I have to work that much harder to get what I want.  it's rather arrogant to believe that a person is going to want to work with me and not with other people first.

Aug 01 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

First off, I have to say that you only re-emphasize how beautiful Australian women are. Yeah - I have an Aussie crush!

As for your question, I don't think its anyone's business but yours who you shoot what with.  If you like someone's work and want to do a nude TFP shoot, go for it. Other photographers have no right or reason to complain if you won't do that kind of shoot with them. It's your body and you *should* make to make sure the people photographing it are going to present it in the best light possible and not use it for their own sleazy purposes.

Although announcing that you only do nude work with select photographers always sets me on my heels when I see it in a profile...it can set up people to feel not worthy if you reject them. While that may not be a huge deal, I think avoiding potential conflict is best to start with and might be better to not even say that you'll do nudes unless a photographer comes along that you'd work with.

I'm a strong believer in taking things on a case-by-case basis.

Aug 01 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

For me, photography is about making great images - not business.

As the photographer, I shot what I want, when I want and how I want.

The models that I work with agree to my conditions and devote their full energy with mine to get the shots that we both want.  Or we don't shoot - period.  The level of skin exposure is only one element of the shoot.

I don't care what the models do with other photographers anymore than I would want the models to care about what I do with other models.  Who has the time for all that drama of who did what with whom.

Jealousy has not place no place in photography.

Now granted for others of you this is a business, in which case the only thing that matters is the size of the check.

Aug 01 06 11:31 pm Link