Forums > General Industry > Photoshop or not to Photoshop that is the question

Photographer

Photo Girl Raquel

Canby, Minnesota, US

There is a photographer I know that swears the only way anyone is ever taken seriously in the high fashion world is if you pretty much use only unsharp mask and something called curve in PS. Other than that thats all one should ever use...Are there any published photogs out there who could tell me if this is true or not. I can understand that if your original image is crap, and you have to manipulate it to get it to look like something then you probably need to practice more, but really, Isn't it true that PS and computer manipulation is where things ae headed more and more?

Aug 01 06 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

those ads that you see in vogue have had more done than unsharp mask and curves.

Aug 01 06 02:59 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

And real photographers only ever use f/5.6.

Aug 01 06 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Photo Girl Raquel wrote:
Isn't it true that PS and computer manipulation is where things ae headed more and more?

Yes.

Aug 01 06 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

Photoshop is a MASSIVE program that is infinite in its capabilities.  It, and its add-ons, gives the digital artist an immeasurable amount of ways to achieve what they want to achieve, and there are many ways to accomplish the same result. 

I'm not sure what point your photographer friend was trying to make.  My guess is what he was trying to say was that the original photography should be as close to perfect as possible, and that photos *should not* need to rely on extensive Photoshopping to be presentable.  If that was his point, however crudely or oversimplified it was stated, there is validity to that argument - and something every photographer should strive for.

For most images, the objective is make the photo look like nothing has been “fixed” on it.  No one should be able to ‘see’ or ‘tell’ that it’s been Photoshopped. And “that” takes a lot of skill. What tools or methods a skilled artist uses to achieve that result is largely irrelevant.

But even the most "perfect" photo can usually be made "more" perfect in Photoshop.  The camera is "limited" in what it can do, and professional cameras have special settings that record additional information for further enhancement or "completion" in Photoshop.  Photoshopping can also be considered the "polishing" of and already well taken photo, or a life saver for photos that have problems.

-Glenn

Aug 01 06 03:30 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

Photo Girl Raquel wrote:
There is a photographer I know that swears the only way anyone is ever taken seriously in the high fashion world is if you pretty much use only unsharp mask and something called curve in PS. Other than that thats all one should ever use...Are there any published photogs out there who could tell me if this is true or not. I can understand that if your original image is crap, and you have to manipulate it to get it to look like something then you probably need to practice more, but really, Isn't it true that PS and computer manipulation is where things ae headed more and more?

I use photoshop extensively, but only to do things which enhance an image in natural ways which could be done with film image editing anyway (it would just take much longer and not look quite as good). I try not to do anything other than RAW file processing, levels adjustments, curves adjestments, some contrast adjustment, occasional dodging and burning, and minimal blemish/spot retouching, then of course resizing and unsharp mask for printing. I do this on every image I use, but it doesn't drastically change the image. So called "creative filters" and "artistic uses" of photoshop are fine as applied to graphic arts, graphic design, etc. but they have nopart in true photography in my opinion.

Ryan Entwistle - Photographer
re: photography

Aug 01 06 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

If the photo can be enhanced by using Photoshop, people will do so. And they should. And there is nothing wrong with it. Some people won't use it because they don't understand it well enough. You should always take the best picture you can, but maybe that is not enough. Will you live with one stray hair in an otherwise perfect shot if you don't have to?

Aug 01 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Nobody who isn't a really really damn fine retoucher should use more than that...

Aug 01 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Joe Alcantar

Beaumont, California, US

Both

Aug 01 06 09:01 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

there are young ones out there about to graduate and they all know the basics of traditional photography, plus photoshop plus all other illustration and editing softwares plus 3D & design.

if you are not old and ready to retire you all have to improve every friggin day else the young open minded talents will run all over you.

Aug 01 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

I think to be taken seriously as a photographer today, you had better have a working knowledge of all the tools available. Photoshop is certainly one of those tools.

And with that said ... if the thought is you need to get it right in the camera first; then, I have to agree. Getting it right is always better than trying to fix it in post processing.

Aug 01 06 09:35 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Say it ain't so.....

Aug 01 06 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Photo Girl Raquel wrote:
Photoshop or not to Photoshop that is the question

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of the outrageous healing brush?

Aug 01 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Dang I wish I had known that it would have saved me tons of money on fast glass... lol.

I guess I better stop down more often ;^)

Aug 01 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Carl Snider

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Not sure if you got the note, but "THERE IS ONLY ONE CORRECT WAY TO CREATE AN IMAGE!"

Just ask anyone, they'll tell you how!

Cheers,
C

Aug 01 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

it could be argued that it's the same for stock photography. the idea is that the photographer should mess as little as possible with the shot since there other professionals in the chain who can do a better job. Professional color correction and retouching for example.

There are no hard and fast rules though... some photgraphers are known for the post work others are not. What do you like? Pursue that!

Aug 01 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Frankly, what I see in the top women's fashion magazines CANT be created through the click of the shutter. It simply CANT. One of the fastest growing industries in the past few years is in the area of retouching. Many magazines have their own retouchers on staff........
Photoshop has replaced the darkroom, those who had exceptional darkroom skills did well, those who have exceptional retouching skills will most likely be more successful than those who don't.
Know what you want as the final outcome, THEN shoot to that end.

Aug 01 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

A good photo will stand on it's own

A crappy photo no matter how much PhotoShop is used will still be a crappy photo.....

I use PS on almost a daily basis.....and a bit of sharpness and levels adjusment is all I need.....but doing commercial shoots and building ads.....PS is absolutely needed.....

I would be unrealistic to think that all those major magazine covers didn't have some adjustments made to them.....even before PS.....they were being retouched by hand....

Aug 01 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Jeff Marsh wrote:
Frankly, what I see in the top women's fashion magazines CANT be created through the click of the shutter. It simply CANT. One of the fastest growing industries in the past few years is in the area of retouching. Many magazines have their own retouchers on staff........
Photoshop has replaced the darkroom, those who had exceptional darkroom skills did well, those who have exceptional retouching skills will most likely be more successful than those who don't.
Know what you want as the final outcome, THEN shoot to that end.

I agree completely. Magazines have retouchers as well ad agencies and design houses. Personally, I don't shoot for the best image out of camera I shoot for the best image going into photoshop.

Aug 01 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Photoshop is lame..

Only losers who can't use a camera would use it..

Aug 01 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Does anyone ever wonder if way back when, there was a roomful of photographers discussing Hurrell and Ansel about what hacks they were for not getting in right in the camera.

Aug 01 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Ansel "McGyver" Adams could shoot a masterpiece with a toothpick, a dixie cup, and a piece of chewing gum..

Hurrel WAS a hack.. Everyone knows people actually WERE black and white back then.. All he had to do was get the camera pointed and hope the spotlights didn't catch anyone on fire!

Aug 01 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Do not worry about P.S. in the near future there is  going to be computer generated models no more live woman. All is needed is a good person at the newest computer generated image soft wear and poof theres a model; doing anything he or she wants her to to by the click of a key, the movies are doing it mags are soon to be on that band wagon too.no need for photographers or models.
Its the digital age,you like digital so much and glad you no longer have to use film, heres the joke digital is going to over take real peopl ,so no longer is picture taking nessesary , enjoy your digital cameras, soon they will be a thing used for hobbies n vacation photos.

Aug 01 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Koray wrote:
there are young ones out there about to graduate and they all know the basics of traditional photography, plus photoshop plus all other illustration and editing softwares plus 3D & design.

if you are not old and ready to retire you all have to improve every friggin day else the young open minded talents will run all over you.

Spot on!

Still unknown was the point the photographer who said what he did to the OP was trying to make.

Seems like just some chest-pounding bravado: real photographers don't use Photoshop - We don't need no stinkin Photoshop! - well, maybe just a little curve adjustment, and a little sharpening here and there......

Yeah, right!

-Glenn

Aug 01 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

So much for F/4 sad I'm never gonna remember all these rules!

Aug 01 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

Personally, being a more casual photographer I don't like retouching more than maybe fixing the contrast, lighting, and texture. I dodge whenever I need to (and whenever the ocassional and annoying telephone pole shows up in the background), but generally I like to keep photos hands off. Just my own style I guess, but if I wanted to go into high fashion magazine photography I'd have to do more than that because expectations these days of the perfect woman exceeds what's created in nature.

Aug 01 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

photographybyfrank wrote:
Do not worry about P.S. in the near future there is  going to be computer generated models no more live woman. All is needed is a good person at the newest computer generated image soft wear and poof theres a model; doing anything he or she wants her to to by the click of a key, the movies are doing it mags are soon to be on that band wagon too.no need for photographers or models.
Its the digital age,you like digital so much and glad you no longer have to use film, heres the joke digital is going to over take real peopl ,so no longer is picture taking nessesary , enjoy your digital cameras, soon they will be a thing used for hobbies n vacation photos.

Does this mean there won't be any more "Nude but don't do nude" threads? smile

Aug 01 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Photo Girl Raquel wrote:

Photoshop is just a tool. It is not a shortcut any more than dodging & burning and traditional darkroom techniques were cheating. Yes, for image manipulation, PS is the present and future whether ones future includes film or digital.

But it's not about using PS because you need further practice taking photos or getting the shot. It's a means to an end. I'm a photographer and also work in advertising and all images in ads, whether it be product shots or models are enhanced (notice I didn't say manipulated lol) in many ways. A photog can take the best photo in the world but the client can decide they want the product or model shot with a beach background. Then change their mind and decide it should be a warehouse look (extreme example). That requires many levels of enhancement to the image that had nothing to do with the quality of the original shot.

But of course there is the airbrushing we all know of. Have you seen Jessica Simpson without it lol?

Aug 01 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

re- photography wrote:
So called "creative filters" and "artistic uses" of photoshop are fine as applied to graphic arts, graphic design, etc. but they have nopart in true photography in my opinion.

That's when they are no longer a photograph and are now a picture.  There are no rules for a picture as they are limited only by one's imagination/skill.

Aug 01 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Thornton

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Koray wrote:

Koray,

Koray,

Just because someone has been to school & knows software tools means very little to nothing. If someone has vision & knows how to produce it into a visual then they have what it takes, if not they can know every camera, lens, software, computer and every location and any person with vision can out shoot this person every time. The tools are only as good as the person using them.

Art schools have been grinding out “Photographers” for years now; most of them will never make it. Some of them will do well & yet others will excel and would have even if they never stepped into school.

Also it has been my experience that most students getting out of school do not know jack about production, lighting, model direction, vision or business. The school gives them just enough information to maybe help them decide what they want to shoot.

Steve Thornton
http://www.stevethornton.com/

Aug 01 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Thornton

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Photo Girl Raquel wrote:

I'm not buying this for a moment. Since I have learned PS, I have not shot an image that I did not do something to it in PS.

Steve Thornton

Aug 01 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Cameras are lame...only losers who can't use photoshop use em'.

Aug 01 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

...and on and on and on...

Aug 01 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

there's much more postproduction that goes into commercial photography, and often not at the hands of the original photographer, it's more on the client end...

also, unsharp mask is not really used all that often, high-pass mask layers are~

Aug 01 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Steve Thornton wrote:
I'm not buying this for a moment. Since I have learned PS, I have not shot an image that I did not do something to it in PS.

Steve Thornton

I know photographers who have day rates over 3g and hand over Raws and never touch the files again.

Aug 01 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

In the good old days when darkrooms were wet. I dimmly remember that it was rare for me to make a "straight" print. Yes, there were times, I could make a single exposure and develope the print and was done.

More often than that, parts of the photo had to be adjusted a bit here and there. My old gripe is that it was easier to shape what you needed with hands then than to try to select or draw a mask and get the feathering right in PS now.

We do have more power, but then the more people who can use that power don't have the eye and tend to over do the PS and the photo looks fake or not right. The process is different, the skill and tastes required to do it right haven't changed.

Aug 01 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

re- photography wrote:

I use photoshop extensively, but only to do things which enhance an image in natural ways which could be done with film image editing anyway (it would just take much longer and not look quite as good). I try not to do anything other than RAW file processing, levels adjustments, curves adjestments, some contrast adjustment, occasional dodging and burning, and minimal blemish/spot retouching, then of course resizing and unsharp mask for printing. I do this on every image I use, but it doesn't drastically change the image. So called "creative filters" and "artistic uses" of photoshop are fine as applied to graphic arts, graphic design, etc. but they have nopart in true photography in my opinion.

Ryan Entwistle - Photographer
re: photography

Can you spell Scitex Retouching Stations?

There was a huge spread about digital retouching of photographs in the fashion industry in New York, Paris, Milan and London etc in the New York Times Magazine about 6 years ago. Models with poor complexions are made to look like they have the skin of a 12 year old.

Retouching is extensive in prepress for magazines even if you don't do much because you have standards and artistic and personal ethics.  Look closely at glamour photos from the 1930s and '40s, and Playboy starting 50 years ago. Lots and lots of Spot Tone Dyene on those 8X10 negatives and airbrushing on the prints that went for color separation negatives.

Aug 01 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Glenn Francis wrote:
Photoshop is a MASSIVE program that is infinite in its capabilities.  It, and its add-ons, gives the digital artist an immeasurable amount of ways to achieve what they want to achieve, and there are many ways to accomplish the same result. 

I'm not sure what point your photographer friend was trying to make.  My guess is what he was trying to say was that the original photography should be as close to perfect as possible, and that photos *should not* need to rely on extensive Photoshopping to be presentable.  If that was his point, however crudely or oversimplified it was stated, there is validity to that argument - and something every photographer should strive for.

For most images, the objective is make the photo look like nothing has been “fixed” on it.  No one should be able to ‘see’ or ‘tell’ that it’s been Photoshopped. And “that” takes a lot of skill. What tools or methods a skilled artist uses to achieve that result is largely irrelevant.

But even the most "perfect" photo can usually be made "more" perfect in Photoshop.  The camera is "limited" in what it can do, and professional cameras have special settings that record additional information for further enhancement or "completion" in Photoshop.  Photoshopping can also be considered the "polishing" of and already well taken photo, or a life saver for photos that have problems.

-Glenn

Aug 01 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Girl Raquel

Canby, Minnesota, US

Steve Thornton wrote:

Steve Thornton

Me too, I just think not using it is BOGUS! I know I need to learn to take a better foundational image, but Cmon!

Aug 02 06 12:44 pm Link