Forums > General Industry > Fashion model dies in car crash.

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

TRENTON, N.J. (July 30) - A young woman who died in a fiery auto crash on the New Jersey Turnpike last weekend has been identified as Heather Bratton, a fashion model from Florida that many predicted was on the cusp of fame.

New Jersey State Police confirmed Sunday that 19-year-old Bratton was the passenger who died at the scene of a three-car collision at about 5 a.m. July 22. A statement on the Web site of her booking agency, Women Management, said she was en route to a flight at Newark International Airport.

Bratton, of Wesley Chapel, Fla., was photographed by noted fashion photographer Steven Meisel for a recent Italian Vogue cover. A dark-eyed brunette whose prominent cheekbones drew comparisons to supermodel Kate Moss, Bratton was poised for greater success, several industry observers had theorized in recent months.

"Heather was a sweet, gentle and thoughtful girl who achieved a remarkable level of success during her first year modeling, which is a credit to her distinct beauty and spirit," according to a Women Management statement. "We were fortunate to work with her."

A phone call to her family's home Sunday morning was not immediately returned. Her stepfather, Tim Kerrigan, told The New York Post for Sunday's editions that Bratton had flown to New York for a July 20 magazine photo shoot.

Stormy weather prevented her return flight the following night. She was en route to the airport in a car-service sedan Saturday morning when the vehicle broke down in the center lane of the turnpike, and was rear-ended by a sport utility vehicle.

State Police last week said the Crown Victoria, in which Bratton was a passenger, was struck by a Toyota RAV4 at southbound Exit 14. It plowed into a Toyota Sienna stopped in front of it that authorities believe had stopped to render aid. The RAV4 and the sedan both caught on fire. Bratton was trapped inside and pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the Crown Victoria, 30-year-old Selim Koskar, of Brooklyn, N.Y., was hospitalized with multiple burns on his entire body. He was still in intensive care Sunday at St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston.

Ramon Sanchez, 23, of Jersey City, suffered broken bones while Bronx, N.Y.-resident Yoa Murry, 44, the Sienna's drive, suffered burns to his leg.

The accident remained under investigation Sunday.

Bratton was born in West Virginia and raised near Tampa, Fla., the Post reported. This summer she appeared on catwalks in Milan and Paris, modeling for Prada, Gucci, Burberry and Chanel.

She was to be buried in South Carolina, the Post reported.

Jul 31 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jul 31 06 03:14 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

wow, that's really sad and unfortunate...young people often have a misconception of immortality and things like this open their eyes and remind them that just because they're 20 something or less, they aren't invincible.

Jul 31 06 03:15 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Susi wrote:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=64692

Sorry! Didn't see that.

Jul 31 06 03:20 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:

Sorry! Didn't see that.

lol...I only posted that cause I noticed it earlier. 

It's definitely sad news.

Jul 31 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Unfortunate. Very unfortunate. RIP.

Jul 31 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't know what to say.

Be careful out there.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Aug 02 06 08:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Meiling

Austin, Texas, US

good morning....my heart pours out to her family.

Aug 02 06 08:17 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

you can leave messages on here website.. she was soo pretty.

https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/Youngyoshi3989/heatherbratton.jpg

it's weird cuz i always think models of her level are so old..but she was a kid.

Aug 02 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Aug 04 06 06:43 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Isn't that sad ?

She was in vogue italia every month this year, but april and she had TWO covers of vogue italia in the first 6 months of this year. wow.

And her life cut short.. as she was blowing up!

Poor family...

And the sad thing is that this happens every hour of every day.. families torn appart... over unexpected and way too early deaths...

sad

Aug 04 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Bohemian

Marion, North Carolina, US

Thank you so much, Electra T for posting this story. I was in my local coffee shop when I happened to notice the newspaper headlines. I had heard of Heather previously, had seen her pics & thought, "Now there's a rising star!" When I saw the newspaper I was blown away. Kinda puts everything in the rest of our lives into perspective, doesn't it? ~R.I.P. Heather.

Aug 04 06 01:00 pm Link

Model

A Yetunde

Miami, Florida, US

Oh my gosh this is heart wrenching.. RIP Heather..

Aug 04 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

tragic .... i wonder whose gonna make the bio film.

Aug 05 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Gerry Hanan

Round Rock, Texas, US

I have never heard of her and don't know her but that doesn't matter - I feel saddened by the news - I hope like my good friend Meiling - that those who remain behind receive the love and comfort that enables them to cope with their loss.  I don't even want to see if she has a profile or and OMP  or Mayhem # because if I see her I know I will cry - I am just emotional that way.  Another model died here in TX over the weekend - if I remember the news article properly - it was someone who used to date / was married to the drummer from "The Who" - I think she was English.

Gah nyte folks

Aug 05 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Thanks for the post Electra.

Aug 05 06 03:51 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Deepest sympathies go out to her family and friends.

Aug 05 06 10:59 am Link