Forums > General Industry > quick question about the overseas scams

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I know we've talked about it here before, but I can't think of a title keyword to search for it (besides scams and a million will come up)...it's just a quick question though:

You know those scams that are always overseas, and they have this high paying job for you, and they are going to send you a check to cover your flight and per diem, etc....

how do they get the money? The check eventually bounces, and your account is hit. But how do the scammers get the money they are seeking? What's the next step after you cash the check?

Just curious. My friend got one, I've gotten a few, and it made me wonder how it works. I know how other check cashing scams work...they call it processing or something, and it bounces, but you have already sent them their percentage.

But how do they manage it with models?

Thanks guys!

Angel

Jul 31 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

NIGERIAN 419 SCAM

Many variations, but the version you're inquiring about is this:

Scammer sends victim a (fake) cashiers check for large amount of money.

Victim cashes check.

Victim sends 'refund' via Western Union (which is untraceable and unrefundable).

A few days or weeks later, (fake) cashiers check is returned to victim, and funds from victims account is returned to bank.

Jul 31 06 01:35 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

ok don't close it...

Jul 31 06 01:39 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

SayCheeZ! wrote:
NIGERIAN 419 SCAM

Many variations, but the version you're inquiring about is this:

Scammer sends victim a (fake) cashiers check for large amount of money.

Victim cashes check.

Victim sends 'refund' via Western Union (which is untraceable and unrefundable).

A few days or weeks later, (fake) cashiers check is returned to victim, and funds from victims account is returned to bank.

I understand that. I recently heard of a "your processing charity donations" or some crap like that. Western Union refused to participate. Wasn't me..just someone I know.

But how does it work with "agency" sending model a check to "cover travel." What would be their reason to send money back to "agency" if it's for a plane ticket?

I looked up that scam. I understand those. But I don't know how they get the models to send them money. What refund??? They claim it's for plane and per diem....

Jul 31 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoBob

San Antonio, Texas, US

The original check they send you is for WAY over the amount agreed to...you have to refund them some back or send the difference 'to thier agent'. 

Bob

Jul 31 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Similar Nigerian 419 scams involving models that are traveling include (but are not limited) to the following:

* Classic scam previously mentioned where Agency pays model or photographer large sum of money via fake check,  refund from unused funds are returned to scammer via Western Union.  A few weeks later the fake check is returned to customer and the funds returned to the bank.

* Talent Agency will pay for all expenses (including airlines) but model must submit money to be used as insurance that the model will appear.  No job ever happens, no travel arrangements ever were made, but the money that the model deposited is gone forever.

* Talent agency will send funds to your bank account.  Model provides personal bank account information .  Bank account is cleaned out by scammer.

* model must purchase an International Modeling License.

The scams are not just for models and photographers.  All the scammer needs to do is change a few words and the scam will apply to practically any other business.

"Dear Truck Driver,

We are moving our facility from Laos, Nigeria to Flatout, Kansas.   We would like you to deliver the office furniture from the port of entry to our facility in Kansas.  We understand that it will only cost $17,000 for your services, but we already had the cashiers check made out for $20,000 which you should receive shortly.  Cash the check and use it for your expenses, but please return the $3,000 balance to us via Western Union as soon as possible."

Have fun with scammers, visit www.419eater.com

Jul 31 06 02:25 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

SayCheeZ! wrote:
Similar Nigerian 419 scams involving models that are traveling include (but are not limited) to the following:

* Classic scam previously mentioned where Agency pays model or photographer large sum of money via fake check,  refund from unused funds are returned to scammer via Western Union.  A few weeks later the fake check is returned to customer and the funds returned to the bank.

* Talent Agency will pay for all expenses (including airlines) but model must submit money to be used as insurance that the model will appear.  No job ever happens, no travel arrangements ever were made, but the money that the model deposited is gone forever.

* Talent agency will send funds to your bank account.  Model provides personal bank account information .  Bank account is cleaned out by scammer.

* model must purchase an International Modeling License.

Have fun with scammers, visit www.419eater.com

Thank you! That covers it all.

Now, if the board doesn't want another scam thread, the moderators can close this.

Thank you SayCheeZ!! smile

Jul 31 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Here is a more sinister scam... actually reported...

Scamster funds model's trip... cheques clear and the money is really there

Do a photo shoot in "YYY" [first destination]

Scamster says they have a job for the model in "XXX" [a place in another country]

Travels to "XXX" with model(s)

Takes their passport and other papers [airline tickets] supposedly to clear immigration and customs.

Takes model(s) into town

Scamster gets his "investment" back by selling them to human traffickers or pimps - they no longer have any papers or tickets to use to get away.

YES, it has really happened!

Studio36

Jul 31 06 02:41 pm Link