Forums > General Industry > Should I put these things in my resume?

Model

Royal Eclipse

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I have had a couple of bad experiences with modeling scams/modeling schools. I have learned from my mistakes and I certainly have learned alot about this industry which is why I do research before making any decision.

I have gone to I.M.T.A  and spent over 5000 dollars on a convention which did not help my career and I have spent money on photos from the infamous "modeling" school Barbizon. I did not know anything about these things.

the only thing I would say is that even though those places did scam me, I have a series of photographs which are actually quite well done and I also know how to runway walk, and I have a comp card. I have learned alot from the industry by going to I.M.T.A.

Should I use these barbizon things. Should I be using the comp card they made for me, all the photographs, and put I.M.T.A in my resume or should I throw all these things away? Are they going to lowe my chances of getting an agent/jobs?

Jul 29 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

1. Models don't have resumes.

2.  Model agents don't care about resumes.

3.  In the event that you feel the need to put a resume together (did Barbizon tell you to?), leave all that stuff off.  It certainly won't help you.

Jul 29 06 06:00 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I think having a resume in any case would make you look more professional.  I prefer to not look professional, so I have no idea what one would put on a modeling resume and cannot give you advice.
What is I.M.T.A?

Jul 29 06 06:04 pm Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The only times I've really used a resume is when I was being interviewed and they wanted a quick synopsis of what I've already done. Since Barbizon and the other didn't really help you do anything, I'm not sure what telling someone about it would do.

Jul 29 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
I think having a resume in any case would make you look more professional.

A model's portfolio is her resume.  Words don't count, only pictures.  Professional models do not use resumes.

(Yes, I know that some "promotional modeling" companies want resumes.  That's because they are hiring performers, not models.  Actors have resumes, and something like an actor's resume is what a promotions company wants.)

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
What is I.M.T.A?

http://www.imta.com/

Jul 29 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

TXPhotog wrote:
A model's portfolio is her resume.

That's what I tried to put in bold letters, until the site froze on me.

Jul 29 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Fadeline wrote:
I have had a couple of bad experiences with modeling scams/modeling schools. I have learned from my mistakes and I certainly have learned alot about this industry which is why I do research before making any decision.

I have gone to I.M.T.A  and spent over 5000 dollars on a convention which did not help my career and I have spent money on photos from the infamous "modeling" school Barbizon. I did not know anything about these things.

the only thing I would say is that even though those places did scam me, I have a series of photographs which are actually quite well done and I also know how to runway walk, and I have a comp card. I have learned alot from the industry by going to I.M.T.A.

Should I use these barbizon things. Should I be using the comp card they made for me, all the photographs, and put I.M.T.A in my resume or should I throw all these things away? Are they going to lowe my chances of getting an agent/jobs?

IMO a  formal resume is only good for if you are a actress/model. You put down what plays /roles you have done, acting abilites,acting schools you have attended , trained with , ect .Your photo portfolio together with your comp card IS your resume

Jul 29 06 06:30 pm Link

Model

Royal Eclipse

Miami Beach, Florida, US

well i didn't really mean "resume" in that sense but i guess it came across like that but I am just wondering if I should bother telling people about that stuff if they ask me if I have had any modeling experience. I usually say yes and list i.m.t.a but now I am not sure.

Jul 29 06 06:43 pm Link

Model

Royal Eclipse

Miami Beach, Florida, US

well i didn't really mean "resume" in that sense but i guess it came across like that (now that i reread that. i did say it like that) but I am just wondering if I should bother telling people about that stuff if they ask me if I have had any modeling experience. I usually say yes and list i.m.t.a but now I am not sure.

Jul 29 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Simply put.
If someone wants to hire you and ask for a resume.
Are you going to listen to the advice above and tell the person hiring you that they are foolish?

Model Resume?
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=6366

How to write a resume?(separate title to make search easier)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=6900

Jul 30 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Fadeline wrote:
well i didn't really mean "resume" in that sense but i guess it came across like that (now that i reread that. i did say it like that) but I am just wondering if I should bother telling people about that stuff if they ask me if I have had any modeling experience. I usually say yes and list i.m.t.a but now I am not sure.

no... for models its a question of credits not training or 'experience' -- unless its spokesmodelling work.

Marksora wrote:
Simply put.
If someone wants to hire you and ask for a resume.
Are you going to listen to the advice above and tell the person hiring you that they are foolish?

well said. it is a good notion to keep a credit sheet available. yes, some people do care about credits -- for one thing is helps show that you can show up for a shoot and do the job. no if you have an agency you don't/shouldn't need to worry about this for modelling.

Jul 30 06 12:22 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Do you understand the point that people hiring often ask for real resumes?
Expecting them to be written in the proper form not just a list of credits.
Two different things.

Yes, it is stupid but it is asked for.
If the first words out of your mouth on a interview is "you sir are clueless about the industry"
then good luck getting hired.

Time to face the facts that most people asking these questions are not nor ever will be with agencies.
No offense, just reality.

Jul 30 06 12:25 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Marksora wrote:
Do you understand the point that people hiring often ask for real resumes?
Expecting them to be written in the proper form not just a list of credits.
Two different things.

Yes, it is stupid but it is asked for.
If the first words out of your mouth on a interview is "you sir are clueless about the industry"
then good luck getting hired.

personally i would say if a client is seriously asking for a resume that would benefit from the mention of barbizon or competitions and we're not talking about spokesmodelling/promos etc etc., then getting hired seems fairly meaningless cause nothing will ever happen for this client. you actually have to have some knowledge or understanding of the industry in which you work to be accepted.
BUT... point is well taken

Jul 30 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Not sure what that had to do with my point.
I have seen jobs requests to shoot for magazines for models, stylists, and for photographer that asked for resumes.

Clients are lacking of knowledge and understanding of the industry all the time.
But they are the clients.
They pay the bills.

Are resumes not needed?
Yes.
But are they asked for?
Yes.

Hey, if you want to tell the perspective client to screw off because they have no clue then good luck.

Many of my cash cows never had a clue even after explaining how it really was to them.
Resumes are adjusted to the marketplace, the experience of the worker, and the job.

For many who ask this question,  having even the slighest experience is better than none.
There are many threads and answers from photographers stating that experience is important.
If 85 out of 100 people say the sky is green,  and they are willing to hire you.
Are you really going to tell them NO?

Resumes are being asked today on small jobs.  The type of job that the people who ask the question are likely to apply for.

Jul 30 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

who berated?
good grief

yes, mark you are right.

Jul 30 06 12:55 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

My comments are meant simply to give a full answer to those that ask.
Not a half answer.
It is the fact that many here think that if a model does not obtain agency status the the model has no worth.  Or is lessor than.

The harsh reality here is that the OP spent 5000 on something that did not help her.

Allow me to edit tomorrow and on that note I should just shut up now.

Thankyou for listening.

Not directed at you but resumes though stupid are becoming a more common request.

Jul 30 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Resumes are for people who count beans......no offense.....but just trying to make the point that in business resumes pretty much will break or make you in seeking employment......been there...

Photographer and models.....their port is their resume.......

You can fudge resumes.......some even outright lie......but in our visual world....either you got it or you don't......forget the resume....

Jul 30 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
You can fudge resumes.......some even outright lie......but in our visual world....either you got it or you don't......forget the resume....

Many of these smaller modeling jobs which really are just promotional jobs, do not even require a go-see.   A photo and resume is mailed in.

So.........

Photoshop?

Jul 30 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Okay, no offense to anyone but time for a reality check.

I am not Steven Miesel or Irving Penn,  noone here is.

If you a model asking this question then you are not Naomi Cambell, or Kate Moss.

Many of us, photographers, the stylist group, models, will never be with an agency and will likely spend more on the business then we will ever make back.

It will take a non agency model a long time to make back $5000 from modeling.

So,
Why should you make a resume?

Because people are asking for them

Because those asking for them are offering jobs at the level that many could possibly get.
These are usually not jobs for ad campaigns or runway shows.
It is being asked from those who do not know about the business.

A resume should be written and available to those who ask.

Now it should be written in a way that will offer your skills as a model, but also written to offer other skills at least in a minor form.   Why?

Because the one who is asking for a resume is not likely to be offering modeling jobs in the industry very much.
The person asking does have a business to run.

There are other jobs in the world that pay besides modeling.
That is how I would write a resume to someone asking for one.
When I noticed a magazine asking for a resume from a photographer,
I sent one in with a link to my work as it was asked.
I made the resume so in the thought that I might work for the magazine on a full time or long term basis.

Simply put.
Resume asked for. 
---Only you can decide to tell the business owner "No, I will not give you a resume".

Who is asking for a resume?

----Though I have witnessed job offers from magazine for photographer asking for resumes.
Normally,  the job is of a lower paying level,  promotional work or small work for a business.
---This is not Italian Vogue asking for a resume here.

How to make a resume?

----Link given above.
It might be wise to write your resume in a way that will get you attention to do something when modeling finishes for you or before it ever starts.

There are better jobs out there besides taking pictures or modeling.

Jul 30 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This seems to have gotten out of hand.

Nobody suggested that anyone asked for a resume should correct the potential employer or insult him.  Nobody suggested that people should not prepare and give resumes if asked.  That would be silly.

Nothing in the OPs post suggested that she was being asked by anyone for a resume.  Rather, she was asking a general question about submissions to agencies and for modeling jobs.

If a person who happens to be a model is trying to get some other kind of job, then of course a resume may be appropriate.  If some person unsophisticated about modeling happens to ask for a resume, and you want the job, of course you give them one.

How could anyone think otherwise?

It has been suggested, by several people, that models do not use resumes to get modeling jobs.  That has nothing to do with "agency" models (although it's also true that models don't use resumes to get into model agencies). Why "agency model" or whether or not someone will become one became an issue in this thread is also a conundrum.

But that's not what was being addressed.

Often people think that they should prepare resumes and submit them to clients and agencies even when not asked.  It is also common for modeling schools to tell their students to prepare resumes or CVs.  They even offer classes on it.  A new model who wants to appear professional when applying to a typical modeling client or agency should know that sending a resume unasked is not appropriate.

They should also know that sending a resume to anyone who is conversant with the modeling industry, which contains modeling school and modeling conventions, will not be looked on with favor.

Why that message is controversial is beyond me.

Jul 30 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Because people are asking for them is not a good reason. For both models and photographers.

All this is, is another case where models and photographers are letting their control be lost, and control of the industry has been slipping away for a long time, and is just further going into the hands of those who know nothing about it.

They need us. So why do we keep bowing down to their bullshit?

Jul 30 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aaron S wrote:
Because people are asking for them is not a good reason. For both models and photographers.

I'm beginning to see Mark's point.

Of course it's a good reason if you want to get hired.  You do what the client asks for, or he will find someone who does.  That's true throughout business, not just photography or modeling.

If you want to pass on jobs like that, fine.

Jul 30 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

TXPhotog wrote:

I'm beginning to see Mark's point.

Of course it's a good reason if you want to get hired.  You do what the client asks for, or he will find someone who does.  That's true throughout business, not just photography or modeling.

If you want to pass on jobs like that, fine.

I will, because I'm not desperate for money, But the problem is many won't.

But, here's the thing, try and think of another industry where the client is fully in control of what he is hiring.

Think of this situation. An advertising agency approaches you because they want you to do an ad. Chances are they came to you because they think your work suits their product. And, the photo is going to be the most important piece of an ad. You are the key element, why should you bend to their will completely?

This isn't saying that you shouldn't make concessions. But the industry as a whole needs to stop letting the client walk all over them.

Jul 30 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

theedge

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Simple Answer,

No! Just pictures... Every Picture Tells A Story...

Jul 30 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aaron S wrote:
Think of this situation. An advertising agency approaches you because they want you to do an ad. Chances are they came to you because they think your work suits their product. And, the photo is going to be the most important piece of an ad. You are the key element, why should you bend to their will completely?

Ok, let's look at that.

They don't normally "come to you" - they send out a request for proposals solicting bids, and you are one of several (or more) candidates.  If they don't find what they want on the first pass through the herd, they widen the search.

Fundamentally, a photographer is chosen to shoot an ad for one of two reasons:

1.  He had (apparently) demonstrated the technical and management ability to do the kind of work they want done, (the vast majority of commercial photographers) or

2.  He has a distinctive style that they want, and they intend to use him to infuse creativity into a very general idea (think David LaChappelle).

In the first case, which is by far the more common, there are almost always a number of people who are capable.  In a strong media city like NYC, or even Atlanta, there are probably hundreds of qualified candidates.  Any one of them could be chosen.  So the job goes to the one (a) who is cheapest, while being credible, or (b) whose presentation most closely approximates what they want, or (c) who is someone they have used before that they know they can count on because he did what the wanted the last time, or (d) who is a friend of the account exec or creative director.  In that first case, the guy whose presentation fails to meet their stated requirements is the least likely to get the job, barring reason (d).

In the second case, it's very unlikely that the client will be unsophisticated about how the industry works, but the photographer has a stronger hand.  He can be more "creative" to some degree - but even then, unless the photographer is one of the few who has extraordinary clout, he will do and be what the client needs him to do and be - just with more creative control over the shoot process.

It's not much different for models (remember, this thread is about models).  For the great majority of jobs there are many acceptable and available candidates.  Telling the client how to go about the client's job (setting selection criteria) isn't a good way to get to the top of the stack of comp cards.

Jul 30 06 01:12 pm Link