Forums > General Industry > You'll want to beat me up...

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

I know, I know... You have probably have heard it before.  But I have looked at the past postings topics concerning Model releases and I found nothing that pertains to my particular case.

I have never had this problem, and no model have ever asked me for a model release, except the last.  She trusted me, and she let it slide.  But I really like to make my models confortable, be prepared and proffessional, and have my models to feel comfortable coming back.  I have never had an awkward moment, and we always part in good terms.

I am a painter, so my photographs are strictly for reference, I usually use digital or slide film for the pictures and the pictures are never used online or printed except for the one print I will need to paint from.

I don't want opinions as to "should I use the release forms?", I can figure that out.

I would like to know:

1.) From models: What would you like to see in a form for such a gig?  I don't always take pictures.

2.) Does any one have a template for an appropiate release form for this type of work that I could use or modify?

-Serg

Jul 28 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What I don't understand is why a model would want a release.  From the model's standpoint, the best release is none at all.

Jul 28 06 07:42 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:
What I don't understand is why a model would want a release.  From the model's standpoint, the best release is none at all.

What he said.

I'd find it very odd indeed if a painter asked me for a release.

Jul 28 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

I'm glad Roger said it first, because I don't understand either. Are you wanting to have releases on hand soley to appear more "professional"?

Jul 28 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

theda wrote:

What he said.

I'd find it very odd indeed if a painter asked me for a release.

I couls think of situations where he would need a release.

Jul 28 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I imagine what is wanted here is not a release.. But a promisary note from you that your work is only going to be used for the production of painted/drawn artwork..

A lot of people coming into this think releases are about controlling what the photographer can do since the first type of release they see is TFP.. Which is limiting to both parties..

Jul 28 06 07:53 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

Thank you everyone.  I AGREE!  I hadn't felt the need for a release.  I don't think I really need a release.  But I really don't mind giving one since I have nothing to lose, so why not?

I just wanted to have them in file incase that issue comes up.

Jul 28 06 08:18 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

Oh, and I have never asked for a release myself.  That would dumb on my part and I think it would even cast more doubt upon myself.

Jul 28 06 08:23 pm Link