Forums > General Industry > Tell me about the San Diego model market

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've got a business trip to San Diego next weekend and I'm arriving a day early to hopefully put together a shoot...so I've been looking up models through MM and OMP that I think would work well with my style. I've contacted 20-25 since last week and only received 1 reply - which is WAY below the norm, even for me!

Is there something I should know about San Diego models? My wife, who is originally from SoCal, made a comment, but I won't repeat it as to not offend!

So what's up??

Jul 28 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Bro, I've lived here all my life (42 years) and your wife's comment and your experience thus far are right on track. (A few exceptions, and they are GREAT people.)

Go ahead, what did the wifey say? She's right.

I mean, what can you say about a place where $650,000 gets you a one bedroom tear-down on a small lot with a crappy chain link fence who's only selling point is that it's on a on a one-way street so it's easier to see the drive-bys coming?

It's like the area has been flooded with people who think they've "arrived" when the overpriced condo is now adequately adorned with a chrome and glass end table, a Nagle print and a damn pastel pot with dried twigs on the landing.

That's the mentality these days and that's what you're dealing with.

Yes, I'm fucking pissed because it didn't used to be this way and it breaks my heart to see it.

Jul 28 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

LOL - wow...OK.

Her comment was simply that girls in S.D. are really snooty/snobby and that I probably won't get many replies.  So far, she's right (that I haven't gotten replies--of course I don't know if any of them are snobby!).

But of the 25 I contacted, 5 still haven't read their emails--so there's still hope! The 1 that did reply has just disappeared after saying she wanted to do a shoot.  I have a feeling most I emailed were/are college students and might be back home for the summer, too.

That's OK. I can shoot pics of the marina, beach, etc. I'm sure I can find *something* to do on a summer day in San Diego. smile

Jul 28 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Active Lifestyle Photo

Laguna Niguel, California, US

Yeah I sure don't get many replies from female talent here... I'm near SD.

Jul 28 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

REPhotography

I havent had any problems with models, but from the looks of it, we shoot 2 completely different styles...  As for being snobby, I live in pacific beach, a couple blocks from the beach, and the only snobby ones I see are usually out of towners...and the ones from la jolla but thats a different story.  Have fun while your here, and if want to know a few good places to go, let me know.

-Rob

Jul 28 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I totally agree so would move a little farther north to South OC.

More babes with less 'tudes! big_smile

Jul 28 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't shoot TFP/CD, but if that's what you're offering - I'm not surprised you havn't gotten any results.  "Hey girls - I'll be in your town for a few days and I'm looking for a local model to have some fun with.  Fortunately, I'll have my camera with me.   If you don't have a place, we can shoot in my hotel room."

Offer pay and things might be different.

If that's the case, I have 40 models who could be interested.

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/Models.html

Good luck

-Glenn

Jul 29 06 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I don't offer pay because I usually do work that is a bit different than what most people shoot (not straight glamour)...giving models a chance to have something different in their ports than another bikini shot, or studio shot in front of a black backdrop, etc. 

The funny thing is about 90% of the profiles I read said they do TFCD and want to try soe new shots, they're a new model and need to build their port, etc.

Yeah, right.

Jul 29 06 09:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I've been in San Diego my entire life, I moved around a bit but for the most part I was born and raised here.  Models are selective here because they can be.  We are only a short drive to LA and LA is overflowing with great photographers.  The way to succeed here is to go through the agencies to find models.....If you go in with your book and they like it they will give you models to shoot with, more than you need. 

Also, it is too expensive to live here and not work full time for most people...you won't find a stable of models without a day job and they can't take off most day jobs without compensation....as someone mentioned, housing is 4 times what it is in a lot of the country and you just wont find as many hobbiests in this market.

Jul 29 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Bonita Photography

Bonita, California, US

The models in SD are GREAT!  Kevin

Jul 29 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Le

I don't know which area everyone's describing, sounds like a far away place to me. I've been doing photo about 2,3 years parttime in SD (2,3 months full time?) So far, I don't have problem looking for "volunteers" to work with. In fact, I refused lots because of my limited time and others who expect more than what I can happily provide in a TFP/TFCD.

One thing I agree with people is SD is very expensive to live--I'm still renting a room which is both my bedroom and photolab, LOL. The high cost of living is why I keep my fulltime job :-)

Jul 31 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Bonita Photography

Bonita, California, US

Chris Le wrote:
I don't know which area everyone's describing, sounds like a far away place to me.

Ditto

Aug 01 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
I've got a business trip to San Diego next weekend and I'm arriving a day early to hopefully put together a shoot...so I've been looking up models through MM and OMP that I think would work well with my style. I've contacted 20-25 since last week and only received 1 reply - which is WAY below the norm, even for me!

Is there something I should know about San Diego models? My wife, who is originally from SoCal, made a comment, but I won't repeat it as to not offend!

So what's up??

I used to live there. GREAT model market. BUT -- there are a high percentage of college girls on places like MM and OMP, and most of them are currently back home for summer break. My guess is that is the main reason you're getting poor response.

Also, there are a lot of photographers there, so if you're trying to do TFP, the models are pretty jaded. Why shoot with a guy from out of town who nobody knows, when there are lots of photographers who you can get local recommendations about?

Offer $50/hr or $75/shoot, and I'll bet some will come out of the woodwork for you.

Aug 01 06 07:23 am Link