Forums > General Industry > why dont togs post piccies of theirselves?

Photographer

Steve_D

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

I might be naive here but I thought this thread was about why photographers (or togs for our Cousins across The Pond) don't post pics (piccies for the Cousins)...

NOT about why the Queen's English and American English have evolved into two different ways of speaking.

My answer to the ORIGINAL question:  because most "togs" look better behind the camera.

Suggestion:  If you're going to work with a tog ask him/her to email you a pic of themself.

Jul 28 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Markus Richter wrote:

For me, a not native english speaker, American English sounds like a modificated Irish?
Because rolling the "r" is similar to Irish. Am I wrong?

"Modificated" sounds scary! Especially if it's Irish.

Jul 28 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Markus Richter wrote:

Huh? Where is my dictionary!!!

I have good friends in both countries. Funny is, when you both talk about values, politics or like here, about languages you always start fighting. Why is that? You share almost the same values, you have a "similar" language, you do almost the same politics, you go to wars together etc...

be nice and share love  smile

It's a 240 year tradition.

Jul 28 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Lens N Light wrote:
It's a 240 year tradition.

Its the oldest one they have in their culture smile

No, seriously, I love Americans. Especially with Ketchup on. smile

Jul 28 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

REPhotography

San Diego, California, US

I dont have a photo of myself because I dont think what I look like has any direct impact on my photography.  Not to mention, I have spent good money on my equipment, and to break all those lenses would be a crying shame...

Jul 28 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Ridwan

Sterling, Virginia, US

I always wanted another photographer do do some crazy photos with me...

Representing my personality...

Just to do it.. But thats me... and im crazy...

Jul 28 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Fluffytek wrote:
Like Children.

Lets take an example. The Sistine Chapel (Rome, where the pope lives) was built in 1483 and it still there now. It was decorated in 1508 my Michelangelo and depicts nude forms.

If it had been built in the whitehouse, Bush would have paited over that tasless naked crap.

Down the road from me is Ely Cathedral was built in 1109.

Thus we have history and culture, you do not. You are children.

You had Maggot Thatcher ( a female Ronald Raygun) and your leader took you into Iraq.  You can't be all that brilliant.

Jul 28 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

https://www.ownedirl.com/Old-1950sHeadache.jpg

Jul 28 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Why would I waste an image slot/bandwidth/filespace on something which is totally irrelevant to my talent and ability? I have a picture of myself which I mail to models who want to know what I look like if we're meeting someplace. Other than that, I don't know why anybody would care.

M

Jul 28 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

angel midnight wrote:
i find it quite frustrating that i dont know who wants to shoot with me...

i dont have a problem with what the tog looks like at all but i think that a lot of people would wanna know what the tog looks like.

anyone else agree???

angel

x

I dont get why what I look like has any matter ? Im not the one in the picture. =\ I never got this... The fact that a person looks a certain way, has no influence on his skills or experience as a photographer?

Jul 28 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Jon Tiffin wrote:

And exactly how does the world look at us Americans?

Generous, compassionate, free loving capitalistic badass democrocy installation war machine that'll fuck your junk but good should step outta line,....North Korea, Iran, you reading this you fuckity fucks!!

The Queen's people can't help themselves, I mean c'mon, they refer to a box of smokes as fags!!

What Jon said DOES NOT represent the same feelings or ideas as most americans, just some of the loud ones.

So do not throw all of us who live on this side.. in the same basket of beliefs as him! smile

Jul 28 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Jul 28 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Jon Tiffin wrote:

And exactly how does the world look at us Americans?

Generous, compassionate, free loving capitalistic badass democrocy installation war machine that'll fuck your junk but good should step outta line,....North Korea, Iran, you reading this you fuckity fucks!!

The Queen's people can't help themselves, I mean c'mon, they refer to a box of smokes as fags!!

Faggot refers to a bundle of sticks suitable for burning.  A shortened version, fags, makes sense in describing cigarettes.

Is English your first language?

Jul 28 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Talele

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think it's just natural curiosity to wonder what someone else looks like.  :-)

And I am my (current) avatar.

Jul 28 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Darren Green wrote:
Do you know the difference between Americans and a pot of Yogurt?

Well if you leave a pot of yogurt in the wilderness for 200 years you get culture!

Hmm ... I'm trying to figure out why that's not funny..

Jul 28 06 01:09 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Lens N Light wrote:
Tog - that's Brit for photographer, I think...?

I have never heard that abbreviation in Britain,
or anywhere

but It helps to see them before meeting - I agree

Jul 28 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

Jul 28 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

How does the rest of the world see Americans?

Fluffytek wrote:
Like Children. . . .
we have history and culture, you do not. You are children.

Hmmm Internationally? Very dangerous, armed, paranoid, hate filled children ... who do it recognise that, care mostly about themselves to the exclusion of all others, and are not interested learning to improve - at times...

Jul 28 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

angel midnight wrote:

i dont have a problem with what the tog looks like at all but i think that a lot of people would wanna know what the tog looks like.

anyone else agree???

angel

x

We don't want to scare you!

Jul 28 06 05:47 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

To the OP, sorry, but yeah, "tog" is considered a condenscending slur 'round these here parts.

These threads may help you:

Do models care what your photographer looks like? (134 posts)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=50230

Does it matter what the photographer looks like ????? (62 posts)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=6730

Do models really care? (47 posts)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=63121

Jul 28 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

kiana's place wrote:

How about you fucking Limeys stop being so demanding from American forums.  I wouldn't go over to England and start demanding you do stuff the American way but apparently you have no problem coming here and demanding Americans bend to the desires of some "queens subject". wink

Ah, I see you've been to the John Bolton school of diplomacy.

She didn't demand anything of us.  She didn't ask you or anyone else to bend to anything... go back and read the OP. She asked a question and used a term that is accepted where she lives.  Where's the problem?

Please... you'll ruin our reputation for being laid back in California  smile

Jul 28 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jul 28 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Kalle Mustonen

Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland

angel midnight wrote:

anyone else agree???

angel

x

Well, I haven't never seen any point to put MY photo into somewhere... I am here (or there) to show my WORK, not myself. Then I noticed that in here ModelMayhem quite many photographers have one photo of themselves in their portfolio. And yep, when I was drunk enough and didn't have anything to do... I shared the narcism and posted my own photo into my portfolio. There it is still, and yet still I don't know why it is in there... maybe I haven't been sober ever since?

Ok, now I know... the good thing though is, that I have made some good friends in here, with whom we change emails quite often. It is nice to see how we look or at least our faces. Ehrmm... or in my case... well hell, I take it back! It is not nice to see after all, when I think about it! big_smile

Jul 28 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

There are no pictures of me.  I've seen to that.

Jul 28 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

The pictures don't come out. Come to think of it, I can't see my reflection in a mirror either!!? What the Fu...

Jul 28 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

What's a "tog" and a "piccie"?

Jul 28 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Then:

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/AlexwhenGuerrero.jpg

Now:

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/RebeccaStewartandAlexWaterhouse-Hay.jpg

Jul 28 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Screaming Light Studios

Las Cruces, New Mexico, US

Though I have very few portraits of myself, I do have a few, taken for the main purpose of posting as avatars or whatnot. 

Ok, and for my husband too, but he gets the "special edits" lol

Jul 28 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

angel midnight wrote:

anyone else agree???

angel

x

No, I don't agree at all.  It is my personal opinion that knowing what I look like...

:::how can I put this delicately?:::

...doesn't make a bit of damn difference.

The photos you need to see are of the one's I've shot.  Not ones of myself.  Do you want to see all the mechanics in a auto shop before you take your car in?  Does that make you feel more comfortable about having your car there?  Personally, I could care less what that mechanics look like, I care only for the reputation of the shop.  Do you feel the inclination to see the cook who prepares your food when you go out to dinner?  Is there some incessant desire to see a professor before signing up for a class?

Knowing what a photographer looks like doesn't help in any way at all when it comes to actually shooting.  The only practical application is seconds before the very first meeting, at which point it helps you do what... find the photographer instead of the photographer finding you?  I have to tell you, the satisfaction derived from that is far over-rated.

I've never posted a photo of myself on my website.  And can't see any reason to do so.  If it prevents a model from working with me... well, I wouldn't want to work with a model that cared more about seeing me first than what I shoot, now would I?

Excuse the rant, I haven't had my dosage of lemonade this afternoon...

Jul 28 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Has society really become that banal & shallow? What difference does it make what a "Photographer" looks like?

Whats important is what their work looks like, perhaps you should try a dating site?

Jul 28 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

I have a self portrait on my profile; a model made me do it, I swear it wasn't my idea, what do you think? (yes the one with the Chinese umbrella)

Ryan Entwistle - Photographer
re: photography

Jul 28 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

jimblast

Dallas, Georgia, US

Mine is in my port and I'm quite proud to say it was taken at WalMart.  No....really.

Jul 28 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Studio One12

Elizabeth City, North Carolina, US

https://www.one12images.com/taylor/VTT21050101.jpg

Aug 03 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Vincent J Tosto

Rochester, New York, US

probably so they can catch your eye with theier talent first ...... i'm guessing.....

Aug 03 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

I think it's natural human curiosity to see a picture of someone you are going to be working with - I actually (previous to seeing this thread) posted a pic that is hosted elsewhere in my profile - thus it doesn't take up one of my profile slots, and it gives anyone curious a chance to see what I look like.

smile  No, it's not necessary, it doesn't matter what I look like, but I don't see the harm.  The internet can be so impersonal anyway - I'm always curious to know what people look like, no matter what the relationship - It gives me a face to put to the words/name etc.

my .02

Back to your bickering.

~S

Aug 03 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

Markus Richter wrote:
...don't you Americans and Britains speak the same language?

smile

Just about as similar as the German that is spoken by you, and the german speakers in namibia. wink

Aug 03 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

GLR3

Dallas, Texas, US

There is a reason we are BEHIND the camera and not IN FRONT. That is also the reason why we are rarely photographed.
best wishes, gus

Aug 03 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

00Philip00

Vass, North Carolina, US

Aug 03 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

Oh now everything is clear.

Aug 03 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

I feel no need to post my picture here.
You only need to go to any US post office to find it.

Aug 03 06 10:56 am Link