Forums > General Industry > How important is MM.....

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

....to pro photographers and  models?

I read some profiles that have credentials out the wazoo, charge $100's of dollars for shoots, traveling all over the world, booked up through October so I am wondering why do they bother with MM to try to get business?

I guess it seems if they are that good, I wonder why they need to go on the internet on a free site to get work.

Jul 27 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I am not on here to get work, since I have my steady clients and get additional work by referrals only.

I am on here because it's a great community and it's fun to shoot the crap with colleagues and other members of the industry.

Many of my real life colleagues are on here and I've met new people as well.

It's not all about generating the bucks, you know!

Jul 27 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

UdoR wrote:
I am on here because it's a great community and it's fun to shoot the crap with colleagues and other members of the industry.

Pretty much the same for me, well, OK, I admit it.  I am here to argue with Ty.

Jul 27 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Moskop

Chicago, Illinois, US

The answer is simple- I am not here to get work at all.  I am here just to have a little fun- maybe find a couple of interesting models to shoot with along the way.

Jul 27 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm just here for the Bud Light.

Jul 27 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

I heard there was free booze and chow... Oh, and it's fun to talk to those in the field, pro or amature from around the world..

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I'm not a pro photographer or a model, but I love the site, the people on it, the entertaining forums and whatnot.  Plus I've met a lot of people, made some good friends, improved my shooting abilities, learned a lot about photography, gotten to improve my portfolio.. it's been a valuable tool for me.   I probably wouldn't have shot nearly as many different people or actually have people asking me to shoot them if it hadn't been for MM.

smile

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

I love my MM smile

Jul 27 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Oh damn, forgot the most important reason...

To meet the famed Bennies!!!  Is there really any other reason???  big_smile

Jul 27 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Moskop

Chicago, Illinois, US

I see basically 5 types of people here, (and this applies to models and photographers) ranging from high-end pros to green amateurs.

1) Camera club members- started in the late forties, early fifties.  Here to have fun.  Think Betty Page.

2) Aspiring shooters- looking to do experimental or portfolio building work.

3) Paid testing shooters- model pays photographer to shoot portfolio work.

4) Fine art and stock shooters- photographers pay models in order to get the release to sell the photographs.

5) Established working pro- Here to have fun.

Did I leave anybody out?

I'm not making any moral judgements here, but within each catagory you can have the good, bad and ugly.

Jul 27 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Cost of internet service to access MM:                        $15 per month.
Cost of computer to access internet:                           $600
Ability to view rants from BCG and pics of KG:             Priceless!

For times like this, there's MasterCard!

Jul 27 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Ailgif Studios

Portland, Arkansas, US

I like it because it gives me an opportunity to talk with other photographers across the country and outside my borders. It also lets me meet models that are willing to work together to help build each others portfolio.

Plus it gives me a chance to see what others are doing and learn from their experience as well.

I was recently inspired by an image I saw and it's encouraged me to step out of the studio to shoot in a set design..

Jul 27 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

All are great responses. I too enjoy the few people I have met and the very few models I have shot.

I guess one of my main reason to join was to get some models to help me build my port as I was have trouble getting local models. Hmmm...in fact I am still having trouble getting some models that I would like to shoot especially some that will help me with artistic nudes.

Any ideas how I can get a couple of models to do a shoot like that? Guess I haven't found the correct way to ask yet or is it all about $$$$$$$?

Jul 27 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Photoman754 wrote:
Hmmm...in fact I am still having trouble getting some models that I would like to shoot especially some that will help me with artistic nudes.

Any ideas how I can get a couple of models to do a shoot like that? Guess I haven't found the correct way to ask yet or is it all about $$$$$$$?

Sorry, can't help you there.

I wouldn't know how to get models wanting to pose nude for me, unless I pay, since there is nothing in my portfolio that would entice a model to say... "Wow... I LOVE UdoR's artistic nudes, I must have those kind in my portfolio!"

I think the rule of thumb is, if you want to have models pose nude for you for free, they need an incentive.

Good luck

UdoR

Jul 27 06 11:23 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I get zero work from here so no.

It is fun when Benny is around though.... wink

Jul 27 06 11:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

T

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Networking and marketing stradegy !!!!!!!!!!!!

It's free advertisings folks from Florida to Cali to Europe to where ever are now familiar with my work and my name......................PRICELESS smile

La T

Jul 27 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

azdave

Bitter Springs, Arizona, US

I just became a modelmayhem member.I don't yet know what kind of financial value it has.
I get most paying jobs by word of mouth.There are only five Photographers in nothern A.Z. so we all know eachother for the mostpart.
  I had my first mm photo-shoot with Kirsten Reed #154476 that alone was reason enough to join
mm is a nice place to talk to everyone and a good site.

Jul 27 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Moskop

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photoman754 wrote:
All are great responses. I too enjoy the few people I have met and the very few models I have shot.

I guess one of my main reason to join was to get some models to help me build my port as I was have trouble getting local models. Hmmm...in fact I am still having trouble getting some models that I would like to shoot especially some that will help me with artistic nudes.

This is off the track of the original post, but to answer your question about finding nude models- It's a little bit of a Catch-22, but the first thing to do is have some good nudes to show.  Ask your girlfriend or anyone you know won't be offended.  Or take a good self-portrait.  I've taken nudes of male friends with their girlfriends for fun.  The girlfriends love to play art director.

Take the best of these and hang them up.  As people come in to your studio and see them, they will invariably comment.  The ones that like the work- you can feel confident that they won't be offended if you ask them to pose for you.  Sometimes they will say yes, mostly they will say no.  But as you shoot more and better, more people will say yes, until they start asking you.

Jul 27 06 01:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Where is the beer?????
I am here to follow Udo around.
Seriously, it is nice to see what people are doing, make contacts and chit chat with others trying to make it.
I have met some very cool people here.  Take it for what it is and go with the flow.
:-)

Jul 27 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I don't know why i'm here. I guess it's in the hope of finding a MUSE..

Mike

Jul 27 06 07:51 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Photoman754 wrote:

I read some profiles that have credentials out the wazoo, charge $100's of dollars for shoots, traveling all over the world, booked up through October so I am wondering why do they bother with MM to try to get business?

I guess it seems if they are that good, I wonder why they need to go on the internet on a free site to get work.

Those types dont NEED a free site to get work, but extra money never hurt anyone.

Jul 27 06 07:52 pm Link

Model

Ana Paula

This is a place to network. If any model expect to make a living solely with internet bookings they will be homeless. You have to go to real life casting to get real bookings that pay good money. From time to time you book a good gig through the net but it is mostly to test with different people(lots of talented artists here) and to network.

Jul 27 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

Like Ana said, networking.

Other than that, not.

Jul 27 06 07:56 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

its a good place to start, improve and it never ends...lots of inspiration too.
when I first started photoshopping I joined graphic-forums...now I shoot a little so I'm here...

and its fun too big_smile

Jul 27 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Not for getting work....that's for sure......but it does provide entertainment.....and now during the summer TV is all repeats anyway.......and once in a while some good work comes along which stirs my ceativity.....

Jul 27 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

well when MM goes on the fritz at least we get this from tyler
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ssg54/ha.jpg

oh and this too to pass the time
https://www.modelmayhem.com/curveball.swf

Jul 27 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:
Oh damn, forgot the most important reason...

To meet the famed Bennies!!!  Is there really any other reason???  big_smile

ehem.... ehem...... SM lol wink

Jul 27 06 09:36 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Ana Paula wrote:
This is a place to network. If any model expect to make a living solely with internet bookings they will be homeless. You have to go to real life casting to get real bookings that pay good money. From time to time you book a good gig through the net but it is mostly to test with different people(lots of talented artists here) and to network.

I'm not homeless yet, but I'll let you know if I need a couch to crash on.

I have gotten some paid work from MM, but I was initally here to kill time. Now they won't let me leave.

Jul 27 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

theda wrote:
I have gotten some paid work from MM, but I was initally here to kill time. Now they won't let me leave.

Theda, leave?  No way...  smile

Here for fun.  Admiring some great people's work.  Met a few nice people, too.

Jul 27 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Have a cool one on me

https://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn8069/dn8069-1_350.jpg

Jul 28 06 08:08 am Link

Model

club Jeska

Riverside, California, US

Photoman754 wrote:

i am a non agent model and i choose not to be
mm offers me the chance to let more people be aware of who i am
mm also lets me get in touch with people that are trying to do what i am
maybe mm dosent want to make money off of people in the buisness '
why wouldnt we support a free site that helps us reach our goals???????????

Jul 28 06 08:13 am Link