Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
TFP shoot

Jul 30 05 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jing

New York, New York, US

most of the work I put up for viewing is TFP. Actually alot of people feel that they get better work from TFP than from their commercial work, which is usually a dilution of your original style.

Jul 30 05 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by Leila: 
I'm not sure how many models have experienced this but I've had one TFP shoot that ended up being a complete waste of time. The potographer contacted me though OMP and the work on there page looked pretty good. Good lighting, good composition, and creative. So I went to the shoot and right away I knew it wasn't going to be good. Appearently this photographer was new (which is fine, everyone has to learn somewhere) but they didn't even know how to use their camera or lighting! The photographer kept having to ask other photographers in the studio to make things work. Half the time I was there was just me standing around wating for things to be set up or the photographer going off to ask for help. If your going to call yourself a photographer at least have some idea of what your doing. So anyway all the photos came out looking like shit and were of no use to me. I feel like I got ripped off. To me the whole point of tfp is so both people can benifit and add images to there portfolio. I would never have wanted these pics in my portfolio. This was pretty upsetting and has made me wary of working with new photographers again.

Don`t let one bad experience stop you from working with other new photographers. What you could have done is said well this is not working out as planned. Can we do this at another time?
As for being ripped off, it was a TFP/TFCD shoot. You would only be ripped off if the shots were really good and you never got any of them. From what it sounds like neither you or the photographer got any good shots. No rip off from what I can see.
I suggest meeting the photographers in person to look at their actual portfolio in person.

Jul 31 05 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by area291: 

Posted by Leila: 
To me the whole point of tfp is so both people can benifit and add images to there portfolio.

Seriously, is that what you expect?  It is afterall, Time For Practice.

A solid portfolio is built from actual work, not a get-together barter session.

Some of the best shoots can be TFP/TFCD basis type shoots. There is no rule that says your portfolio has to be from shoots that you made money from. A portfolio simply shows the quality of your work, not how much you made from it.

Jul 31 05 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Jul 31 05 03:13 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Posted by Glamour Boulevard: 
There is no rule that says your portfolio has to be from shoots that you made money from. A portfolio simply shows the quality of your work, not how much you made from it.

Where was this mention of money you reference?

Urban,
Hardliner?  Perhaps.  Realist?  Yes.

Jul 31 05 09:22 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

If I wanted to be a commercial model. I wouldn't waste my time with TFP shooters who have never looked at the comps at an agency.

So many guys are proud of their TFP shots that have no use in a commercial model portfolio.

It's a good way to trap models into the internet game though...

Jul 31 05 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I'm not knocking you for it (or her for that matter) but were the images that she posted anything remotely similiar to what you guys ended up doing?

I ask because I'm mostly a natural light shooter. The one time that I was lucky enough to use an indoor studio w/ the strobes & stuff, for the life of me, I could not get the strobes to work when I wanted them to. After a half hour of struggling w/ it, I gave up & switched to ambiant (aka the "hot") lights. At least in my case, neither myself nor the model considered it a total loss since "after I gave up", we had many images that we both liked.

Jul 31 05 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Simply put I think people need to learn how to make money from their TFP shoots. I have shot all kinds of TFP stuff that I earn and have earned a GREAT living from. And many of those shoots have led to bigger; paying gigs.

But I've heard stories from models and photogs about PAID shoots where nothing useable came from them which is kind of scary.

But even at that there is a lesson. Of what not to do in future shoots and such. And you guys use models to test equipment on? Hell I thought that's what cats were for?

Jul 31 05 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
But even at that there is a lesson. Of what not to do in future shoots and such. And you guys use models to test equipment on? Hell I thought that's what cats were for?

You ever try & direct a cat to move. They just look at you like you're a wierdo & go back to sleep. :-)

Jul 31 05 07:15 pm Link

Model

MegMar

Washington, District of Columbia, US

geesh, thats happened to me atleast twice -- TFP is such a waste of time for models .. maybe the first 2-3 months of your career you need it, or until you are a REALLY good poser -- but TFP is bs

Jul 31 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

A TFP shoot can be viewed as a collaberative training session.  Models and photogs can both try new ideas or concepts and see what they like.  Many times I'll use a TFCD shoot to try lighting setups I've never tried before...something I wouldn't want to do on a paid gig.  Of course the model is told of this beforehand.  Some things work, some don't....same with some of the model's ideas.
I think new photogs should be listed as such, but the bottom line comes down to this-no offense, but you get what you pay for.

Jul 31 05 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by Megan Marie: 
geesh, thats happened to me atleast twice -- TFP is such a waste of time for models .. maybe the first 2-3 months of your career you need it, or until you are a REALLY good poser -- but TFP is bs

Not necessarily true. Tear sheets don't always come in fast enough to keep your book up to date. A stagnant portfolio fails to gain renewed interest.

Usage rights usually restrict photos from the model's portfolio until it becomes a tear sheet. Some paid shoots may never become a tear sheet (gallery art for instance).

As a model gains experience, I would advise to be more selective about TFPs.

Aug 01 05 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

If I wanted to be a commercial model. I wouldn't waste my time with TFP shooters who have never looked at the comps at an agency.

I mean no slight here, to anyone, but let's not forget that this site and the other (much inferior but similar in appeal) ones like it are primarily comprised of "models" who are under 5'6" and don't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever even meeting a commercial model much less becoming one...

That being said, the whole "internet modeling" glamour model thing has taken off quite well.  Modern glamour has taken on a life of it's own and can pay reasonably well for some models who may never do anything but pose for web sites, calendars, promotions, and amateur photographers.

That type of work has always been looked down upon, and I'll admit to holding some of those feelings myself...but it's hard to deny as popular as these sites have become and the market (albeit a primarily false one) that's opened up from it is quite large.

Some models and photographers both in this new market have done quite well (and some even make their primary living at it) having never shot a "real" model as an agency would see it.  Many of them have never had their work critiqued by anthing other than popular opinion or OMP showcases, have never worked with a designer or stylist, and probablly never will. 

The old school photographers would say this isn't modeling, but personally I'm starting to put a lot more stock in the validity of the market.  I still don't LIKE it, but at least I'm starting to feel some real influence from it.

My largest remaining problem is with the overall underdeveloped comprehension of the internet modeling crowd.  There are FAR, FAR too many 5'6" tall 36" waist girls on here and those other sites who think if they get the right pictures and the right person sees them they're going to be on the next cover of Vogue...Sadly enough, there are enough photographers who think shooting Maxim style shots of those same girls will eventually get them paid professional work for magazines.  That simply isn't how it works and no matter how hard you try and explain that, there's simply too many people out there telling these people otherwise.  Not out of malice usually, out of ignorance...

My bone with this isn't some elitist attitude as I'm sure will suspect, it's with the history of modeling and the opportunities it creates for those of less than stellar morals...Sure, scams have always existed, and always will...but I see people now turning into scammers who don't even realize they're doing it...and that's a VERY disturbing trend in my mind.

Oh well, despite the disclaimer I'm sure I'll get flamed and several people with no real talent will tell me how wrong I am and further my convictions, but I've said my peace...again.

Andy Hamilton

Aug 01 05 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

J.K. Perez, Sr. wrote:

Word to the beginning photographers, always treat your first set of shoots as if you were going to do a presentation with some high level corporate executive**. Have your equipment set up and ready to go. Have a plan of shots and settings written on a worksheet. Also, it doesn't hurt to go over your worksheet with the model you're working with.

** Artists amongst us can just imagine that God is watching.

Jul 22 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

I was going to look at Leila's portfolio but got this message:
"MM #4240 is not a current member."

Jul 22 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jonathan D Holloway

Dallas, Texas, US

Bill Gunter wrote:
I was going to look at Leila's portfolio but got this message:
"MM #4240 is not a current member."

Most likely because someone dug into the depths of forumdom and woke a year old thread.

Jul 22 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Myke Newman

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Tfp is sometime hit or miss, no matter if you are model or photographer. Learn from the experience and move forward.

Jul 22 06 10:38 pm Link