Forums > General Industry > New 2 Modeling Need HELP with poses and facial exs

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

I am new to modeling.  I need some pointers with poses and facial exspressions.  I had one photographer say I smile to big.  I mean what does that mean.  Thats how I smile.  Please help.  Thanks

Jul 26 06 04:13 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

pointer #1: practice in the mirror

it takes experience to know what works for you

Jul 26 06 04:17 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

*Isabel Aurora* wrote:
pointer #1: practice in the mirror

it takes experience to know what works for you

Thanks never thought about that

Jul 26 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Los Angeles, California, US

Pearls, practicing in a mirror is -great- idea.
BUT: practice WHAT exactly?
1) get some -good- fashion magazines
2) pick out pictures you really like
3) separate into TWO stacks ... a) facial expressions,   b) poses
4) take the expressions ones (note: different KINDS of smiles, as well as non-smiling ones)
    stand in front of the mirror. try to duplicate the expressions. close your eyes. "feel" the
    muscles of your face as they make that expression.
    with your eyes STILL closed: wipe off that expression gently with your hands.
    remember how your face-muscles "felt" and try to duplicate that "feeling".
    open your eyes and see how close your expressions is to the magazine look!
    try it again. try it again.
5) use each expression-look and do #4 again.
6) use each POSE and do #4 (except to "shake your body", instead of "wipe off expression!)

takes time, but can work wonders with your repetoir of expressions and poses!!!

good luck to you,
harry

Jul 26 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Pearls wrote:
I am new to modeling.  I need some pointers with poses and facial exspressions.  I had one photographer say I smile to big.  I mean what does that mean.  Thats how I smile.  Please help.  Thanks

I applaud you asking for help, especially with your expressions. I just hate it when models have the same stare in all or most of their pictures.

Jul 26 06 04:48 pm Link

Model

Monika Maple

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Easy facial expression:
- 1/2 smile and think of someone you love (to give the sparkle in your eye)
- wisper A,E,I,O,U for different mouth looks, also lightly blow air out of your mouth works
Any easy way to work different facial expressions, is to think of different situations in life that have affected your emotions.  Think of the small details. 
For example, if I want to look thoughtful, I think of psychology (my passion) and analaze someone who I met recent.  If I want to look sad, I think about the hard time my brother is going threw in school with bullies and how that is making him feel about himself.  If I want to look cheerful, I think of my cat jumping into my bed and crawling under my covers and how he keeps pushing me til he finds a good spot. 

As far as posing your body goes, practice, practice, practice.  You have to learn how your own body moves and works infront of the camera.  What feels good, may not look good.  Your own body will have angles and poses that work best for it.  I look best standing, some people look best sitting (which I dont).

Jul 26 06 04:58 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Thanks I just added a new pic of me smiling is this smiling to big?  Thanks for all the information so far smile

Jul 26 06 05:18 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

smile

Jul 26 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ye Olde Photographer

San Juan, San Juan-Laventville, Trinidad and Tobago

Pearls wrote:

Congratulations on posting an excellent question. All the advice that went before is good. They gave me some new ideas to pass on to models.

In addition to looking at magazines you can look at paintings and statues of people and try to think of what makes the ones you like look good. Take a figure-drawing class if you have the time. You may not  learn to draw very well but you'd get a better sense of why some poses look better than others. 

Here is a good web site http://www.artrenewal.com/

Jul 26 06 05:40 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Fuzzybear Photography wrote:

Congratulations on posting an excellent question. All the advice that went before is good. They gave me some new ideas to pass on to models.

In addition to looking at magazines you can look at paintings and statues of people and try to think of what makes the ones you like look good. Take a figure-drawing class if you have the time. You may not  learn to draw very well but you'd get a better sense of why some poses look better than others. 

Here is a good web site http://www.artrenewal.com/

Thanks the link is great smile

Jul 26 06 05:45 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

I have two photo shoots sunday so i guess i better start practicing what you guys have told me!!!

Jul 26 06 08:31 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

Harry Young wrote:
Pearls, practicing in a mirror is -great- idea.
BUT: practice WHAT exactly?
4) take the expressions ones (note: different KINDS of smiles, as well as non-smiling ones)
    stand in front of the mirror. try to duplicate the expressions. close your eyes. "feel" the
    muscles of your face as they make that expression.
    with your eyes STILL closed: wipe off that expression gently with your hands.
    remember how your face-muscles "felt" and try to duplicate that "feeling".
    open your eyes and see how close your expressions is to the magazine look!
    try it again. try it again.

takes time, but can work wonders with your repetoir of expressions and poses!!!

good luck to you,
harry

OMG that is right on point, I practice that all the time!!!

Also, try thinking of an emotion and try to express it MAINLY with your eyes. I know it sound weird... ie. think of happy = do it only with the eyes. Mess around with the different emotions BUT ALWAYS remimber your muscles position.

:::Coco:::
http://www.GetCoco.NET coming soon!

Jul 27 06 02:03 am Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Coco from Houston wrote:

OMG that is right on point, I practice that all the time!!!

Also, try thinking of an emotion and try to express it MAINLY with your eyes. I know it sound weird... ie. think of happy = do it only with the eyes. Mess around with the different emotions BUT ALWAYS remimber your muscles position.

:::Coco:::
http://www.GetCoco.NET coming soon!

thanks

Jul 27 06 12:10 pm Link