Forums > General Industry > Ethics and the photographer

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

There is a ongoing thread about a well known New York photographer
that to me brings up some intresting issues.  Lets say a model approaches you for a paid shoot.  She likes your style and you are
mostly a fashion style shooter.  She's pretty but she's 5'5" tall and
has more of a glamour figure.  Do you take her money and shoot her
the best you can in your style?   Do you explain that your style of photography isn't one that may help her.  Is it your responsiblity at any
level to explain anything?  Lets try it from another angle.  Lets say you
are looking for models to pay you and you advertise.  Models contact
you for shoots who you think might have a limited chance at best to
be signed by a agency.  Do you take their money and say nothing?
Are you obligated to tell them their market?  I of course am not speaking
of photographers who may mislead or misrepresent themselves.

Jul 25 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I have been there before.. I really dont like paid tests.. First off I think is a lot of work ( specially mental ) for the money you get. And second, I have a problem taking money from a girl who I m sure has no chance, or at least will have a hard hard time

My studio partner has been trying to convince me.. that it doesnt matter if they never make it, u are not charging them for a dream.. you are charging them for your time and your team's time. To give her the best images of her you can give her.

That kinda makes it more acceptable, but I still dont like them! I rather make money off companies.

Jul 25 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Well, to get the thread going...

I'm not a fashion shooter or someone who is making a living off of photography.  So my answers might be skewed because of that.

But if I was a fashion shooter and a model with a glamour look wanted to get some fashion looks, then the first thing I'd do is get them to read over the newmodel FAQ.  I think folks need to be educated first, and then if they insist upon proceeding in a way that isn't necessarily logical, well that's their choice.  But I believe in informed consent.

To me there is a fine line in example #2 between someone wanting to make money off of portfolios vs. being the model photographer equivalent of a puppy farm.

I really think that in some ways it's sad that the best thing lots of women can aspire to is to be just like Tyra.  And I think that because the emphasis in our culture is so strongly focused on externals such as looks, money, material success, celebrity status that it's not surprising so many young girl and women want to be a model---especially a high fashion model.

For example #2, again, informed consent.  Girls/women who know the facts and reality of what they're embarking on but who still insist upon paying someone for shots, well, that's their choice.

The good news in both of these examples is that hopefully they'd have some awesome shots of themselves to look back upon, later in life, and secondly, maybe they can be converted into an awesome art model/muse.    ; )

Jul 25 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

She asked for your photography services not your career counseling advice.  Take the money, shoot what she wants and go on about your day.  If she asks "Do you think I have a chance at high fashion/ haute couture?" Then answer honestly,but I see no reason to turn down paying work just because you don't think that she fit for a particular type of modeling.

Jul 25 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Never kill anyone's dream !

Jul 25 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

How are you killing their dream by honestly discussing options?  Especially if you are a photographer making their living in the area, wouldn't it makes sense to share with the model a slice of reality?

Jul 26 06 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

I see it like this.

If the girl says "I want you to shoot me some fashion shots to take to an agency because I want to be a model". You shoot and charge.

If she says, "Do you think I have what it takes to be fashion model?" then you tell her what you think, but let her decide if she wants the shots.

In the first, she wants your services, not your advice. In the seconds she wants both. I have found that when someone asks me to do a job they generally dont want my opinion they want my skills. (Tourist: How do I get to the station, Yokle: Well you dont want to start from here!)

Now if she asks for the shoot and there is no way you can do it, then you cant offer your services so you should not shoot.

Or maybe you need a disclamer (sp?)
"I will only shoot models if I find that they meet my requirements of what I understand to be current marketability in the industry."

Jul 26 06 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

KM von Seidl wrote:

How are you killing their dream by honestly discussing options?  Especially if you are a photographer making their living in the area, wouldn't it makes sense to share with the model a slice of reality?

Most people take advice that reinforces their self image and desires.
When faced with opposite advice they usually call the adviser a pompous ass and ignore them.

Jul 26 06 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Fluffytek wrote:

Most people take advice that reinforces their self image and desires.
When faced with opposite advice they usually call the adviser a pompous ass and ignore them.

That's their perogative.  But at least you have shared your experience in the industry rather than just taken the dough.

Jul 26 06 03:49 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I think it's rather uncomplicated.

When I am being approached for a portfolio shoot, I simply ask what the images are for, and if the goal is completely unrealistic, because of specific body limitations I do give my opinion and suggestion...

... and if the model still wants me to shoot, I'll give her my very best!

Jul 26 06 03:52 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

You don't need to, the World will.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jul 26 06 03:56 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

What's wrong with waking someone up?

Dreaming alone won't accomplish anything outside of the dreamworld!

Jul 26 06 04:01 am Link

Model

Christine

Personally, I would appreciate the honesty because it would give me direction and I wouldn't be paying for the wrong kind of shoot, as beautiful as the pics may turn out.  But that would also be free advice, and you may lose the money you would get.  And if you tell her she's not a fashion model she might get offended or something, which would be a waste of effort.  I guess it depends on the person.

Jul 26 06 04:05 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Christine Summers wrote:
Personally, I would appreciate the honesty because it would give me direction and I wouldn't be paying for the wrong kind of shoot, as beautiful as the pics may turn out.  But that would also be free advice, and you may lose the money you would get.  And if you tell her she's not a fashion model she might get offended or something, which would be a waste of effort.  I guess it depends on the person.

... which would also mean that the model doesn't have what it takes to survive the industry (yet?!).

Pretty much every fashionmodel, even high fashion are being rejected at soo many casting calls... everytime another girl is picked... they weren't.

This means: "We don't want you, we want HER!"

It's just how it is.

Jul 26 06 04:10 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Fluffytek wrote:
I see it like this.

If the girl says "I want you to shoot me some fashion shots to take to an agency because I want to be a model". You shoot and charge.

If she says, "Do you think I have what it takes to be fashion model?" then you tell her what you think, but let her decide if she wants the shots.

In the first, she wants your services, not your advice. In the seconds she wants both. I have found that when someone asks me to do a job they generally dont want my opinion they want my skills. (Tourist: How do I get to the station, Yokle: Well you dont want to start from here!)

Now if she asks for the shoot and there is no way you can do it, then you cant offer your services so you should not shoot.

Or maybe you need a disclamer (sp?)
"I will only shoot models if I find that they meet my requirements of what I understand to be current marketability in the industry."

Okay, in reading Tony's scenario I took it to mean that the assumption was that 1) you are an actual fashion photographer, not someone who thinks that shooting people in clothes = fashion and 2) that you are familiar, competent, working  in the arena.

And a 5'5" girl with a glamour body walks through your door.  Okay, so how harmful is it, when finding out what kind of work she wants and why (i.e. tailoring the shoot to her needs), that you share with her how you see her look based on your trained experience.   You don't have to be a drama queen and run a disclaimer, "I won't shoot you unless you're a sure thing," but you're simply sharing part of your skills set and knowledge base with another human.  How hard is that?

Or is getting money in your fist no matter what, the bigger picture for some of you?

Jul 26 06 04:11 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

You guys would have discouraged Beverly Johnson, the first plus sized model, the first model daring to be different.
Let them try , life is experienced; not all pleasant.

I once took a 4-11 model to a model factory - the school where everyone can be Tyra Banks - at least they had the frankness to tell her to try acting!

Jul 26 06 04:19 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

You guys would have discouraged Beverly Johnson, the first plus sized model, the first model daring to be different.

Do you have Beverly's stats handy?

Jul 26 06 04:23 am Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

karma.

ahhh yes.  the 5'3" girl who wants to do runway and high fashion (like the girls in vogue!)

typical conversation i have either through email or on the phone:

hi, i need to put together a portfolio... do you do TFP?

ummm ... not at the moment, no.

oh okay.  i was with barbizon and i wasn't really happy with them.  so i need to re-shoot my portfolio so i can go to the other agencies.

how tall are you? (wondering.. when did barbizon become an agency?)

5'3"

sorry sweetie... you're not going to make it in fashion... maybe you should do acting instead?

but Dean Johnson is 5'6"

but you're not Dean Johnson.

but i've been modeling since i was 13... i did runway at the local mall

ummm the east side villa mall isn't part of fashion week...

but everyone says i should be a model

yes, your family and friends have been quite supportive (read: they have to say you're pretty)

i will pay your rate

you will be wasting my time and yours... i could refer you to a headshot photographer...wait, how old are you again?

NICE

even if you shoot the girl... the problem doesn't stop there... cause she takes the photos to the agencies... and they will wonder who the hell in their right mind would shoot this girl and encourage her to pursue a career in fashion... which reflects poorly upon you because now you look like someone who took advantage of this girl for 3 or 400 or however many dollars.  then the girl will blame you (cause it's never her being too short, too old, too etc...) because your work didn't get her signed.

of course, there are other versions. 

so if we as photographers (who do know what it takes for models to make it in the fashion industry) don't take responsibility, who will?  after all, we are the ones who are producing the images for our market.  has nothing to do with looking for the "sure thing" who will get signed with a major agency.  and plus size does not mean 200 lbs.  and i don't care what anyone says, there is no such thing as petite modeling.  i wouldn't take someone's money because i would feel bad about turning her down.

okay, nevermind modeling.  how about singing?  would you fuel someone's dream of becoming the next christina aguilera if they can't hold a tune to save their life? 

karma.

or she can just be an internet glammer superstar.

Jul 26 06 04:29 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

UdoR wrote:

Do you have Beverly's stats handy?

I meant that in 1972 she would have been discouraged as "not the type"

Jul 26 06 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shooting a short girl in fashion styling that SHE requested (without asking for YOUR input on whether or not she should try to do fashion modeling) isn't "encouraging" her to become a fashion model.

That's like saying that Wal Mart shouldn't sell bats to 400 lb men because they'll never make it as a pro ball player.

If she asks give your honest opinion, if the conversation meanders around to the subject of whether or not she'll be a successful fashion model, give your honest opinion.  But if she requests the shoot and never asks for your opinion, keep it to yourself.

Jul 26 06 04:41 am Link

Photographer

theglorybox

London, England, United Kingdom

I've not had much experience of paid work (need to correct that though) but if a model approached me to do a shoot I would do it and I'd do the best I can. If she asks for my opinion I would be honest about it, but I would also say I'm not the best person to judge. (I'm not in touch with current trends on fashion and glamour).

But on the flip side I've had models approach me to work for my fetish website (through which I produce limited edition prints), and I see they have no fetish modelling experience I do feel obiliged highlight what is expected of them as I don't want to waste my time or there's. If they still want to work for us then I'll go for it.

Jul 26 06 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Last I checked I was running a Digtal Media and Photgraphy Studio. No where does it say I am a talent scout or a consultant.

Want to book a shoot, then I do my damn best to produce images that are clean and at least in focus.

I am not selling the dream, but I am certainly a link in the chain. There is more to the pursuit of a dream than simply getting to the end of the line. Every shoot is a small event in life that will latr become a great memory and something to share. Even if the MODEL never made it in the business.

Jul 26 06 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Ransom J wrote:
Shooting a short girl in fashion styling that SHE requested (without asking for YOUR input on whether or not she should try to do fashion modeling) isn't "encouraging" her to become a fashion model.

That's like saying that Wal Mart shouldn't sell bats to 400 lb men because they'll never make it as a pro ball player.

If she asks give your honest opinion, if the conversation meanders around to the subject of whether or not she'll be a successful fashion model, give your honest opinion.  But if she requests the shoot and never asks for your opinion, keep it to yourself.

there is a difference between wanting to be shot in a fashion style and believing that you will be a fashion model.  i am referring to the latter, which is actually more prevalent than the former.

but as someone mentioned, simply shooting a girl in clothing does not make a fashion photograph, just like dressing a 400lb man in a baseball uniform doesn't make him a baseball player.  however, more often than not, the 400 lb man doesn't have delusions of becoming the next jose canseco.  he just wants to go to the batting cage.

but we are discussing ethics, not shooting style.

so -- let's say a girl wants to get some surgery done and approaches a doctor.  she doesn't ask him for his opinion nor does she care for it, but just wants to pay outright for the procedure.  wouldn't it be unethical for the doctor to just keep it to himself and pocket the money?

but why are you already washing your hands clean of the situation if you didn't have any qualms about it to begin with?

Jul 26 06 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sean Armenta wrote:

there is a difference between wanting to be shot in a fashion style and believing that you will be a fashion model.  i am referring to the latter, which is actually more prevalent than the former.

but as someone mentioned, simply shooting a girl in clothing does not make a fashion photograph, just like dressing a 400lb man in a baseball uniform doesn't make him a baseball player.  however, more often than not, the 400 lb man doesn't have delusions of becoming the next jose canseco.  he just wants to go to the batting cage.

but we are discussing ethics, not shooting style.

so -- let's say a girl wants to get some surgery done and approaches a doctor.  she doesn't ask him for his opinion nor does she care for it, but just wants to pay outright for the procedure.  wouldn't it be unethical for the doctor to just keep it to himself and pocket the money?

but why are you already washing your hands clean of the situation if you didn't have any qualms about it to begin with?

We are photographers, not doctors, our work doesn't risk life or limb so we aren't held to the same ethical standard.  In all reality, our work caters to the most base  of our selfish desires (vanity) WITHOUT the health risk of surgery or the like.  A photograph of ANY kind is unecessary (people don't NEED them, they WANT them), so any time ANYBODY is commanding your services they are doing so without NEEDING them.  So the question of ethics  in comparrision to a Doctor who can injure, render sick/ lame or even kill a patient by giving them something unecessary isn't applicable. Therefore  I see the parallel you are trying to make but don't find them analogous enough to have any merit.

Ethics wise it's STILL not a problem.  Again is wal mart ethically wrong for offering baseball bats to any delusional overweight armchair McGwire?  I should say not.  Wal Mart doesn't care if you want to swing for the big leagues or if you're swatting a few with your son for some bonding time, fact is they have bats for sale and if you want one you can buy one.

And what am I washing my hands of?  You lost me with that statement.

Jul 26 06 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

kill their dog instead.

Jul 26 06 05:21 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Ransom J wrote:

We are photographers, not doctors, our work doesn't risk life or limb so we aren't held to the same ethical standard.  In all reality, our work caters to the most base  of our selfish desires (vanity) WITHOUT the health risk of surgery or the like.  A photograph of ANY kind is unecessary (people don't NEED them, they WANT them), so any time ANYBODY is commanding your services they are doing so without NEEDING them.  So the question of ethics  in comparrision to a Doctor who can injure, render sick/ lame or even kill a patient by giving them something unecessary isn't applicable. Therefore  I see the parallel you are trying to make but don't find them analogous enough to have any merit.

Ethics wise it's STILL not a problem.  Again is wal mart ethically wrong for offering baseball bats to any delusional overweight armchair McGwire?  I should say not.  Wal Mart doesn't care if you want to swing for the big leagues or if you're swatting a few with your son for some bonding time, fact is they have bats for sale and if you want one you can buy one.

And what am I washing my hands of?  You lost me with that statement.

This is why I would trust Sean Armenta with money, life & wife before ever I would trust you Ransom.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jul 26 06 05:29 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JAY carreon wrote:

This is why I would trust Sean Armenta with money, life & wife before ever I would trust you Ransom.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Well being that I don't know you from a hole in the wall I think that's probably for the best smile

Jul 26 06 05:30 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

Ransom J wrote:

Well being that I don't know you from a hole in the wall I think that's probably for the best smile

Well Ransom let me fill you in a little bit......Jay is a great, decent, honest, ethical, moral man with a heart of gold and any person who knows Jay is lucky to call him a friend!

All the best,
Britt

Jul 26 06 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brittney Harrington wrote:

Well Ransom let me fill you in a little bit......Jay is a great, decent, honest, ethical, moral man with a heart of gold and any person who knows Jay is lucky to call him a friend!

All the best,
Britt

I don't doubt it smile

Jul 26 06 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Kenneth Velazquez - MGP

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

I am probably way off base here but here is my two cents;

What is the Photographers Code Of Ethics?  Here on Model Mayhem, we have many diverse "Models".  Should Model Mayhem screen potential "Models" based on their opinion of a what a certain type of Model should look like?  As a Photographer, our job is to produce images.  We strive for quality but sometimes we don't hit the mark.  Does that make us any less a Photographer.  As a Photographer I am continually learning. 
     I used to be a Music Engineer.  Many people came to record that had no business being there.  Once they received their final product they realized it.  Ethically, should I have told them first based on my own biased opinion?  Should I let them spend their money somewhere else with someone who would sell them a dream?
     Everyday we turn on the Radio and we complain about what is being played based on our perception of what "Music" should sound like.  "Rap Sucks!".  "Disco Sucks!".  "Classical Sucks!".  "Country Sucks!".  Yet and still they were and still popular with the masses.  If we never open our minds and our vision, we would never experience the spice of life...VARIETY!
     Can every Photographer that claims to be so "Ethical", after reviewing their own work, honestly say that EVERY MODEL they photographed had all they needed to be the next TOP MODEL?  Of course not.  Her boobs were too big, her nose too crooked, her teeth were messed up.  So why did you photograph her?  Because in some way or another, she had some redeeming quality or beauty that YOU liked, yet she honestly was NOT Top Model Material.  If we only took photos of those with Top Model potential (opinion) then most of us would not have any work.  Should only the "Barbie" figured women be photographed?
     I have so much more to say but I have to run out.

Jul 26 06 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Do you take her money and shoot her
the best you can in your style?   Do you explain that your style of photography isn't one that may help her.  Is it your responsiblity at any
level to explain anything?

If you had an apparel client who was currently selling tons of garments to Sears and wants to dump a ton on money into marketing and hire you for fashion images so that they can move into Neiman-Marcus, are you going to turn them down because because you don't think they quality or style of their garments is what Neiman-Marcus is looking for?   Do you have the background in fashion and marketing to know in one or two meetings how and individual or company will fare in the market or how hard they will pursue their goal.  Furthermore, if the market determains that they will not acheive their ultimate goal are you sure that fashion images will not have other benefits even in the market they are currently in?

I believe that the obligation in that situation is to: first take the best shots you are able to, and second offer advice if the model is interested in hearing it.

Jul 26 06 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
Okay, in reading Tony's scenario I took it to mean that the assumption was that 1) you are an actual fashion photographer, not someone who thinks that shooting people in clothes = fashion and 2) that you are familiar, competent, working  in the arena.

That seems like a good assumption to make for the sake of discussion, but in this particular "real world" it isn't a valid one.  A high percentage of the photographers here (and on any other model listing site) do "model portfolio" work, and are happy to shoot "fashion pictures" for portfolios.  Few of them are capable of producing pictures that fashion agencies or clients would actually use.

If someone is not ethical enough (or knowledgeable enough) to know and say that they aren't capable of delivering what is requested, the chances of them being ethical or knowledgeable enough to give competent advice to a model isn't very great either.  This seems to me to be a conversation in a bubble, hermetically sealed off from reality.

Jul 26 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Seems I've seen all this discussed before......

I can say we are here to provide a service....do the best we can....and get paid......if someone asks me if they can make it as a fashion model and they are 4'11" and 155lbs.....

No! you can't.....sorry if it's not what they wanted to hear but then again I'm not their mommy telling them they are "pretty"......

And if they are 5'11"....stunning gorgeous.....Maybe...it's all up to how much you want it......for the same reason....I'm not their mommy......

Van Cliburn one of the world's greatest concert pianists was asked by a fawning female fan how she could become as good as he was on the piano....his one word answer was....practice......short, honest and to the point

A philosophy I try to follow daily....

Jul 26 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Scott Meyer

Cincinnati, Iowa, US

I personally dont shoot a lot of model ports and haven't been faced with this problem yet.

I would think that if someone told me they wanted to be a fashion model and they were only 5' 2" I would have to be honest and tell them I doubt they would get any work, but I would also tell them there are a lot of other opportunities in the commercial market for models your size and maybe you should look into going with an agency that is geared more towards that market.

I dont mean to bash anyone, but I will say that its really easy to take the high road on this issue when your not earning a living from your photography.

Jul 26 06 08:58 am Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

I would not stand in the way of anyone's ambitions.  Danny DeVito does as well as any other Hollywood leading man, although he's quite a bit shorter than most.  Fran Drescher attributes her success to her nasal voice.  Lucile Ball was unnoticed in Hollywood as a natural blonde until she dyed her hair red to help her stand out.  Trends in what people look for in models has changed and will change again.  To suggest that a wannabe model is fated to failure simply because she is short is unkind as well as ignorant.

Jul 26 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Ailgif Studios

Portland, Arkansas, US

I think the great thing about this industry is that it's always changing on the look someone wants.  And what one photographer/agency may see as a bad thing in a model, someone else is going to love it.

And by giving her your best, you're giving her something great...

Our job is to definilty photograph our models in the best light and the best poses for their body type and features.

At least it gives them something to always look back on as a positve experience with you and a great photograph to always remember.

Jul 26 06 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Like many things I think their are no easy answers.  One of you may a excellent
point that if a photographer were to take images of a model that really didn't
fit her look to a agency the agency would wonder why you did them at all.
Some have stated its not a photographers responsiblity to say anything he/she
is not a talent scout and we really have no ideal of what may work in all cases.
There was a post where a father spoke about this issue as he had paid a lot
of money to a photographer for a fashion shoot.  As I recall his point was that
in the end it was his responsibilty as a consumer to know what he or in this
case his child needed.  I think for example of those sales people at various
stores who sell us very expensive products and extended repair products most
customers will never need.  Does the average computer user really need a 100
gig harddrive and a huge amount of ram?  However I as the buyer need to know
what I'm buying and what will fit my needs and purposes.  Sadly many of those
who want to model are under 18 and they really don't have the maturity to
know a con job from reality.  Thats why parents need to find out what the deal
is.  Its why modeling schools still make money and some photographers over
charge as some would say for 'useless' images.  However is it a moral or ethical
failing or is it the way the world works?

Jul 26 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
However is it a moral or ethical
failing or is it the way the world works?

Any reason why it can't be both?

Jul 26 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

TXPhotog wrote:
That seems like a good assumption to make for the sake of discussion, but in this particular "real world" it isn't a valid one.  A high percentage of the photographers here (and on any other model listing site) do "model portfolio" work, and are happy to shoot "fashion pictures" for portfolios.  Few of them are capable of producing pictures that fashion agencies or clients would actually use.

If someone is not ethical enough (or knowledgeable enough) to know and say that they aren't capable of delivering what is requested, the chances of them being ethical or knowledgeable enough to give competent advice to a model isn't very great either.  This seems to me to be a conversation in a bubble, hermetically sealed off from reality.

Yes, I was careful to lay out my assumptions before answering, if you note.

The reason, because only with that skills set and background  I laid out does one proceed the way I suggested.

My assumption is that most of the people on this site  (models MUAs photographers) are either doing or wanting to do their work commercially.  The percentage of amateurs wanting to stay as such is pretty small.   Now, how many of MM will actually actualize their dreams of commercial success, I have no idea, and probably no one really knows.

BUT, what I do suspect, is that when money is involved, ethics get fudged.

I don't think many are going to be critically analyzing whether they have the goods to be taking money from people (i.e. helping them attain their goal).    Why?   Just look at how many photographers are charging for "portfolio" development and then look at their portfolios.

To be accurate, I have no problem with photographers charging.  I've done it.  But it wasn't anything I wasn't capable of doing, nor were there any illusions as to what the work was for. 

Personally, I think that before you start taking peoples $$ you should approach it like any sales venture.  With the approach that you treat someone else how you would like to be treated.   If there was a disaster, and you were a store owner and some person came into the store, holding a flashlight needing "D"batteries, and all you had were "D's" but they were severely out of date and not likely to work really well and you sold those to them, then I think that's lame.

Jul 26 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Well, there was a lot to read, and I can't say I read it all.

But personally, I think it just boils down to whether or not you think you can take good pictures of them. Let an agency sort out what type of modelling they should do.

Jul 26 06 11:27 am Link