Forums > General Industry > Beware of this SCAMMER!

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Now that my ordeal with this jokester is over, I feel like I should spread the word about this guy!

His name is Terry Taylor.  He claims he runs a promotions/entertainment business.  His scam is that he hires models/photographers/stylists/videographers to do crate promotional work for this syndicated, Nascar-related TV show that his is working on.

I worked a print shoot and at the end of it, he's running around, patting his pockets...guess what, no check, no payment.

It's taken months to collect my payment.  He would call full of excuses, but the fact of the matter is that he never intended to pay.

He is a federal felon for this scam.  He was indicted in 2001 and sentenced to 5 years in prison.  He was charged with scamming over 200 motorcycle dealerships in over 20 states, 52 videographer/photographers, Sports Illustrated, TV Guide and Playboy Enterprises.  All of this info is public record.

The photographer who worked on the shoot never gave him the photos, so his scam didn't completely work.  He would take the photos to the dealerships, get sponsorship money and run off with all of it.

SO BEWARE, TERRY TAYLOR IS A FRAUD!

Jul 25 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

This type of person is why models and hair/makeup people should be booked through agencies and not take jobs online from people they don't know.  I've seen this type of thing over and over again.  Agencies I work with check out a photographer or client thoroughly before even allowing them to book their talent.  A contract is signed and the agencies reserve the right to ask for partial payment upfront for first time clients.  Even if they skip out on the balance of the invoice it's so much easier to get your payment with a signed contact and an agency backing you up.  I'm sorry this happened to you.  Some people really are "artists" when it comes to conning people.

Jul 25 06 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Myke Newman

Memphis, Tennessee, US

That's Jacked UP! thanx 4 tha info.

Jul 25 06 07:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Amy J Jones Photography wrote:
This type of person is why models and hair/makeup people should be booked through agencies and not take jobs online from people they don't know.  I've seen this type of thing over and over again.  Agencies I work with check out a photographer or client thoroughly before even allowing them to book their talent.  A contract is signed and the agencies reserve the right to ask for partial payment upfront for first time clients.  Even if they skip out on the balance of the invoice it's so much easier to get your payment with a signed contact and an agency backing you up.  I'm sorry this happened to you.  Some people really are "artists" when it comes to conning people.

You are absolutely correct, this guy is a true artist...it's easy to believe that he's a bumbling, wussy idiot!

The photographer did get a deposit, I believe, maybe the slime weasled out of that....and I was contacted by the photographer.  I definitely blame myself for NOT getting the money upfront.  I totally operate with contracts because of previous incidents like this.  This was just pure stupidity on my part. 

I was with an agency years ago, but they just sent me out on assisting jobs where I'd steam clothes all day.  I did that for months and find (in general) that I do get better jobs on my own...except I am an artist and a mediocre business-woman (at best).  But you always have room to learn, right?

I just wanted to alert the world about this "piece of work"...especially since he scammed in multiple states.

Jul 27 06 03:58 pm Link