Forums > General Industry > Can you believe Tyra Banks retired?

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Tyra Banks did her last catwalk ever at the Victoria Secret fashion show.  She said her mom always said get out of modeling before it gets you. She said her mom had given up alot for her and she didn't have a life.  She said now mamma its time for you to have your life back.

Jul 25 06 02:32 pm Link

Model

Sonya Marie

Tucson, Arizona, US

who knows it may just be a Michael Jordan, Jay-Z type retirement...hahaha.

Jul 25 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

It's about time.

Studio36

Jul 25 06 02:43 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

CrazyPreshus wrote:
who knows it may just be a Michael Jordan, Jay-Z type retirement...hahaha.

I think she is for real!!!

Jul 25 06 02:44 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Old news much?

Jul 25 06 02:57 pm Link

Model

Chivonne

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

KitaPanda wrote:
Old news much?

That's what I was thinking.

Jul 25 06 03:01 pm Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

I think she just got tired of not eating and decided to retire.  She looks healthier on her new show (go'head and EAT that chicken, girl!)

Jul 25 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Pearls wrote:
Tyra Banks did her last catwalk ever at the Victoria Secret fashion show.  She said her mom always said get out of modeling before it gets you. She said her mom had given up alot for her and she didn't have a life.  She said now mamma its time for you to have your life back.

It was time for Tyra to get out...her mom was smart. 

Tyra is past the modeling prime now and she's had her course of a successful modeling career.  And besides...her now measurements would have limited the jobs she was once used to.  Christy Turlington did the same thing...and we still think she's fabulous and sophisticated.

Look how pathetic Cindy Crawford is...who would want to go down the "played-out" path?  But Cindy's a whole other forum I could go on about...

Naomi is pushing the "played-out" status as well.  When will she ever get a new hairstyle?

PLUS...you will always be in higher demand when you announce retirement.  Everyone wants what they can't have...I think Giselle retired on 4 different occassions...just to get a higher salary.

Jul 25 06 05:30 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

ModelInstinctive wrote:
And besides...her now measurements would have limited the jobs she was once used to.

What would those be? I'm curious how much she's "let herself go" now that she's no longer modeling.

ModelInstinctive wrote:
Look how pathetic Cindy Crawford is...who would want to go down the "played-out" path?  But Cindy's a whole other forum I could go on about...

I wanna know what you have to say about Cindy. I thought she retired at 30--how did she become played out?

Jul 25 06 05:39 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Tyra announced her measurements on her show.  I feel like a doofus because I can't remember them off the top of my head.  But they were very "normal person" measurements.  Not "fashion model" measurements.  Something like 34DD-28-41, I think.  I remember thinking "wow!, those are great measurements.  Wonder what she was when she wasn't eating cheeseburgers!"

Jul 25 06 05:50 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

KatieK wrote:
Tyra announced her measurements on her show.  I feel like a doofus because I can't remember them off the top of my head.  But they were very "normal person" measurements.  Not "fashion model" measurements.  Something like 34DD-28-41, I think.  I remember thinking "wow!, those are great measurements.  Wonder what she was when she wasn't eating cheeseburgers!"

Wow--that's curvy! It's hard to imagine she was ever model thin (34 or 35 inch hips).

Jul 25 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

ModelInstinctive wrote:
And besides...her now measurements would have limited the jobs she was once used to.

What would those be? I'm curious how much she's "let herself go" now that she's no longer modeling.

I wanna know what you have to say about Cindy. I thought she retired at 30--how did she become played out?

I never said Tyra "let herself go..."  She simply doesn't fit into the couture sizes anymore.  I'm a little older than you...and I remember Tyra long before ANTM...circa 1991.

Jul 25 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

[

KatieK wrote:

Weight gain is a part of getting older...

I wouldn't be surprised if Tyra's original measurements were somewhere around 34 A/B-24-35...I'm just guessing, as she would of needed to fit into couture.

Jul 25 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

David Oscar Flores

Los Angeles, California, US

THANK GOODNESS!

Jul 25 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

Wow--that's curvy! It's hard to imagine she was ever model thin (34 or 35 inch hips).

That's why you model when you're young...

Jul 25 06 06:09 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

ModelInstinctive wrote:

I never said Tyra "let herself go..."  She simply doesn't fit into the couture sizes anymore.  I'm a little older than you...and I remember Tyra long before ANTM...circa 1991.

I wasn't quoting you. I was just putting the term in quotation marks to indicate a somewhat ironic usage on my part. And in fact, I do remember Tyra in 1991--one Elle spread in particular.

Jul 25 06 06:11 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

She retired at the beginning of like 06 this is OLD news lol

Jul 25 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

randy wolf

Seattle, Washington, US

fuq dat fat ho!

Jul 25 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

I wasn't quoting you. I was just putting the term in quotation marks to indicate a somewhat ironic usage on my part. And in fact, I do remember Tyra in 1991--one Elle spread in particular.

Tyra was quite skinny...which is why her head looked so big...

Jul 25 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Ahzure wrote:
I think she just got tired of not eating and decided to retire.  She looks healthier on her new show (go'head and EAT that chicken, girl!)

I see the Oprah fat coming!

Jul 25 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

I see the Oprah fat coming!

I like to see a healthy girl!

Jul 25 06 06:17 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ModelInstinctive wrote:
Naomi is pushing the "played-out" status as well.  When will she ever get a new hairstyle?

There's only so much you can do with a weave. Plus she's had it in for so long that her hairline is virtually non-exsistent. That almost happend to me till I finally stopped wearing one.

I think after the Tyra show gets cancels (I like it but the ratings aren't that good) she will go back to modeling.

Anyone know why she's never done an ad campaign? All she's ever done is Victoria secret.

Jul 25 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ANNABELLA wrote:

There's only so much you can do with a weave. Plus she's had it in for so long that her hairline is virtually non-exsistent. That almost happend to me till I finally stopped wearing one.

I think after the Tyra show gets cancels (I like it but the ratings aren't that good) she will go back to modeling.

Anyone know why she's never done an ad campaign? All she's ever done is Victoria secret.

Naomi's weave could be okay if she'd add some layers or something.  She is practically bald on her hairline from the weight of the weaves...pulling her natural hair out.

Tyra has done Versace, Chanel, Cover Girl...as well as others.  I really don't want her show to be cancelled...It's really great, but unfortunately I'm not around during those hours to watch it.

Jul 25 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

global vision

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

i heard a great quote about her one time..."if intellectual prowess had been equated to body temperature for her...she would have frozen to death years ago"....life will go on without her i am quite sure

Jul 25 06 06:27 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

ModelInstinctive wrote:

Naomi's weave could be okay if she'd add some layers or something.  She is practically bald on her hairline from the weight of the weaves...pulling her natural hair out.

Tyra has done Versace, Chanel, Cover Girl...as well as others.  I really don't want her show to be cancelled...It's really great, but unfortunately I'm not around during those hours to watch it.

TVO or DVR

Jul 25 06 06:29 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

I tend to think she will model again at some point. Something about the fact that she made such a big deal about her retirement. She couldn't just move on with her life, she had to make sure everyone knew...

Jul 25 06 06:30 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

yawn

Jul 25 06 06:31 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

ModelInstinctive wrote:

Keeping mum on Cindy, huh?

Jul 25 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Model Sarah wrote:
yawn

Do I see some whiplash action in that avatar? wink

Jul 25 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

Keeping mum on Cindy, huh?

Okay, I'm not going to hijack this thread...if you want me to create a Cindy bashing thread, let me know.

Cindy Crawford is to modeling...as Eva Longoria is to television...WTF?  They aren't anything spectacular...I just don't see what it is...I don't know what all of the hype is about.  If someone could tell me what special quality they evoke, please let me know - as I must be blind.

As far as Cindy goes:  Her lame ass signed a PETA petition in the 1990's, never to wear fur.  When the modeling career starting running dry, as it had been for 15 years, Cindy reneged on her signed commitment to PETA...by posing for "Blackglama", a fur company in 2004(?).  Instead of taking responsibility for her actions, she blamed the PETA petition on her designer friend, Todd Oldham.

It's one thing posing for "Blackglama"...but it's another thing to NOT keep your previous word.  That makes a loser in my eyes.

For god sake, she was a spokesperson for Kay Jewelers...gross!

The bad hair, the fake voice, the hermaphrodite face...do I need to go on?

Jul 25 06 06:51 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

ModelInstinctive wrote:
Okay, I'm not going to hijack this thread...if you want me to create a Cindy bashing thread, let me know.

That was enough to satisfy my curiosity. Back to Tyra...

Jul 25 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

WE NEED MORE WOMEN LIKE HER!

Jul 25 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

That was enough to satisfy my curiosity. Back to Tyra...

But the Cindy Crawford and Eva Longoria bashing thread seems so much more fun! sad

Jul 25 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

KHatch

Utica, New York, US

Pearls wrote:
Tyra Banks did her last catwalk ever at the Victoria Secret fashion show...

Crap. And I was about to pm her for a tfp shoot. big_smile

Jul 25 06 08:40 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

When will janice sit her ass down.

Jul 25 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Pearls wrote:

Oh I was hoping she had retired from TV -she is such a flake ....

Jul 25 06 09:32 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
I tend to think she will model again at some point. Something about the fact that she made such a big deal about her retirement. She couldn't just move on with her life, she had to make sure everyone knew...

I think when your a model/athlete/ etc you have to let everyone know you retiring. Or they'll think that your "played out" and you were forced into quitting.

Jul 25 06 09:33 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

ModelInstinctive wrote:

But the Cindy Crawford and Eva Longoria bashing thread seems so much more fun! sad

Then start it!

Jul 25 06 10:36 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:
When will janice sit her ass down.

Hey. I like Janice. She's got spunk. Ya gotta like that in a woman her age.

Jul 26 06 06:52 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Electra T wrote:
I think when your a model/athlete/ etc you have to let everyone know you retiring. Or they'll think that your "played out" and you were forced into quitting.

Aha.

Jul 26 06 06:54 pm Link