Photographer

Brewer35MM

Biddeford, Maine, US

I have one question.
Is there a law that states a photograph can not photograph a person under the age of 18 in a public place without consent from a parent?
No I’m not in trouble and I always get a signed consent form. I’m just curious the law as of today.

Jul 25 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Laws will vary from state to state, but, I highly doubt it.. I've shot a 16 year old without a parent being there, though mom was aware of the shoot, where we were going to shoot and I had spoken with her on several occassions prior.. I think that is the point you need to consider, do the parents know about the shoot..

Before I shoot with anyone under the age of 18 I make sure that their parent/s are aware of the shoot and the direction it's going to go.. I think if you do that, there should be no problems...

Jul 25 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Just a slight clarifiction...

What is a consent form, and who signs it?

Jul 25 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

ATLFigures

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

If there is, it's probably at the local level. If you're really serious about finding the answer a good start would be doing a Google search on your city municipal codes.

Jul 25 06 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

jason ssg

Rockford, Illinois, US

RED Photographic wrote:
Just a slight clarifiction...

What is a consent form, and who signs it?

It's pretty much the same as a model release form, but for anyone under 18 the parent/guardian must sign as well.

Jul 25 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I think a lot has to do with how you use the photo......

I worked as a photojournalist in New Jersey.....and could photograph any age and not need a consent form....IF it was part of the story.....and it was considerd a "newsworthy event".....

Any other use....I absolutely needed a consent form from a parent or legal guardian......

You probably can take photos of minors.......just as you can anyone's photo if you don't use it.....but you still run the risk of having angry parents or cops coming your way......with today's climate.....some might just think you're a child molester stalking their kids.....my advice.....don't point your camera at any kids without prior knowledge and consent....

Jul 25 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

jason ssg wrote:
It's pretty much the same as a model release form, but for anyone under 18 the parent/guardian must sign as well.

I understand now.

Jul 25 06 03:24 pm Link