Forums > General Industry > The industry of faking it..

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

This is inspired by 6 or 7 threads, and some of the theme of all of MM in general.. But it always boggles my mind so I wanted to get it in one place..

Pretty vs Beautiful..
Unreal retouching..
and so on and so on...

People how many of you have forgotten and, more scarily, how many of you never realized at all..  Beauty is all about faking it!

The stylists complain about the unreality of photoshop, when every bit of powder applied, eyeliner added, hair teased, bra adjusted, heels put on, shoulder pads added and removed, etc. ad nauseum is all FAKING IT..

Models argue over who the true beauty is Anjelina or Jennifer, and then we all snicker when some paparazzi snags a photo of the real them..

Even the photogs seem to lose the point that beauty is not a thing.. It's a creation, a sham, an deceit (or a conceit)..  And all we do is bend light, blend shadow, and delete reams of failed shots that point out that our goal is NOT THE REAL WORLD!

Where the hell is Doug Henning when you need him?

Sorry..  I just ate too much silliness over the past few days and it needed to come out somewhere..

Jul 25 06 11:35 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

I never fake it..........

Oh wait, you're talking about beauty. Never mind. LOL

Jul 25 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Wade Henderson

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Beauty is also very subjective.

Edit: Make that extremely subjective.

Jul 25 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I totally agree. The girl you see in that amazing photograph does not exist.

It's all an illusion.

Jul 25 06 11:38 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

WG Rowland wrote:
Sorry..  I just ate too much silliness over the past few days and it needed to come out somewhere..

Nope not silly at all you have to remember that this became an industry as soon as electricity was brought into the homes...

Besides society has expectations that are unrealistic, reminds me of a feeding frenzy of piranhas. smile

Jul 25 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

WG Rowland wrote:
People how many of you have forgotten and, more scarily, how many of you never realized at all..  Beauty is all about faking it!

I disagree!

I have met a lot of gorgeous women... and I am talking without makeup, just beautiful skin and hair and simply awsome features... then a skilled makeup artist comes and enhances some of those features... and the gorgeous woman turns stunning!

You have a lot of average or below average, or simply pretty women who use cosmetics to make them "more beautiful"... or simply kinda faking it and this is were you are correct.

But to say that "Beauty is all about faking it!" is an untrue statement... in my own opinion and experience at least.

Jul 25 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

WG Rowland wrote:
This is inspired by 6 or 7 threads, and some of the theme of all of MM in general.. But it always boggles my mind so I wanted to get it in one place..

Pretty vs Beautiful..
Unreal retouching..
and so on and so on...

The stylists complain about the unreality of photoshop, when every bit of powder applied, eyeliner added, hair teased, bra adjusted, heels put on, shoulder pads added and removed, etc. ad nauseum is all FAKING IT..

Models argue over who the true beauty is Anjelina or Jennifer, and then we all snicker when some paparazzi snags a photo of the real them..

Even the photogs seem to lose the point that beauty is not a thing.. It's a creation, a sham, an deceit (or a conceit)..  And all we do is bend light, blend shadow, and delete reams of failed shots that point out that our goal is NOT THE REAL WORLD!

Where the hell is Doug Henning when you need him?

I think a really good analogy for all of this is the music business. There are tons of bands and artists touring out there right now who can barely string two notes together, much less do it on key. God forbid they should actually write actual lyrics or music themselves. But people enjoy them, and buy tickets to see them, and who am I to judge what somebody else likes.

I personally like the real thing -- a guy or girl with a guitar that can get up there and mesmerize me with emotional impact coupled with actual ability. Or a jazz trio improvising on the edge, or a pianist giving a fresh interpretation of Bach. That's what gets ME off. Rappers whining about their bitches while a drum machine grinds away, or bitches whining on top of a prerecorded track about how their man ain't never gonna get it -- well, it just doesn't mean much to me. But it IS still music, and if people wanna pay to hear it, well, good for them.

So -- long way of saying -- I agree -- there is no such thing as the real world -- it's all "real," it's just that some of it is "realer." In the end there's what each of us likes, and what each of us is willing to support financially. The rest is just passing judgement.

Paul

Jul 25 06 11:49 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Mmm

ain't nothing like the real thing baby

Jul 25 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

UdoR wrote:

I disagree!

I have met a lot of gorgeous women... and I am talking without makeup, just beautiful skin and hair and simply awsome features... then a skilled makeup artist comes and enhances some of those features... and the gorgeous woman turns stunning!

You have a lot of average or below average, or simply pretty women who use cosmetics to make them "more beautiful"... or simply kinda faking it and this is were you are correct.

But to say that "Beauty is all about faking it!" is an untrue statement... in my own opinion and experience at least.

UdoR we agree more than you think..  First off I'm not knocking anyone..  Or even the idea that some people are more physically attractive than others (although this is a very subjective thing..)..  My point is I find it shocking to see so many people who get caught up in the idea that a beautiful person is a beautiful person 24/7..  Especially HERE of all places! 

Quoting you:

"I have met a lot of gorgeous women... ... ...then a skilled makeup artist comes and enhances some of those features... and the gorgeous woman turns stunning!"

Point is even the gorgeous women go through the same series of enhancements, augmentations, and glams created by a whole industry of professionals before making that "stunning" image.

And even the gorgeous people will have bad pictures.. Bad days.. Bad moods..  And bad pictures..

Otherwise we'd all be idiots with phone cams, because what else would you ever need?  (And I think you'll agree with me there..)

My point is it's a team effort.  The more talent, effort, and god's grace (or whatever you want to call natural prettiness) you put into it, maybe the more you get out (although I've seen plenty of examples that break that mold and do it beautifully..)

My point is I find it shocking that even people who do this all the time get caught up in the idea that the end result is something a person carries around with them all the time..  That's.....  Well, it's just silly..

Jul 25 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

T R Willmitch

Normal, Illinois, US

Hi,

All the camera dimly captures is what it sees.  But never forget that each of these models is a real person -- a living, breathing individual attempting to express some aspect of who he or she is.

The real challenge for any thoughtful photographer is to choose the right model and then coax the camera past the surface… to reveal the unique beauty of the individual model.  The proper focal-length lens; careful lighting; makeup, hair, and clothing; proper sets; and Photoshop retouching -- these are just tools to that end.

Is this faking it?  No, it is looking beneath the surface and revealing a deeper truth.

Take care,
Tom

Jul 25 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Anjel Britt wrote:
Mmm

ain't nothing like the real thing baby

You're ignoring me.. Remember?

Jul 25 06 11:58 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

bang bang photo wrote:
I think a really good analogy for all of this is the music business. There are tons of bands and artists touring out there right now who can barely string two notes together, much less do it on key. God forbid they should actually write actual lyrics or music themselves. But people enjoy them, and buy tickets to see them, and who am I to judge what somebody else likes.

Paul

Studio Artists are the new generation, pro tools does wonders..I won't even get into the fact that "most" of these main stream artists can't write their own lyrics because that is not new in the music biz.

I know what you mean but there are still some artists that can perform live and knock my socks off. Not many though.

Jul 25 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

San Francisco, California, US

i think there is a strange paradox. when it was film, we did everything to make the picture look flawless,  such as if you are shooting a tabasco bottle, perfect label, no fingerprints, etc etc etc,  we try to light it to make it look like the exact ideal. but when it is purely digital we do things to bring in flaws to make it look more real.

Somewhere between these two is a subjective point, that seems to differ depending on what side you started on.

One down side to the digital age and photography, i think that amazing lighting, scenes, and in camera stuff these days sadly gets mistaken for a digital effect in post.  i shot a picture in the clear waters of the Philippines once, there were dark storm clouds all over but there was a beam of light hitting the shallow ocean and making the water glow, it was amazing but the photo looks like a digital effect. Especially when you look at my work and see all my other digital work, people just assume everything has a digital twist on it, so it goes.

Jul 25 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

DJV Photography

Youngstown, New York, US

I agree totally with UdoR.  I have met quite a lot of naturally beautiful women. Problem is most of them are not models.  They have everyday jobs and everyday lives and they do not want to be models.  But I have also met models that look fantastic with lip gloss and nothing else, makeup wise. Truth be told, many women do not take care of their faces (ie; tanning, not moisturizing, not properly cleaning off makeup, etc) so they need the gifts of the trained makeup artist to look their best.  And yes, some women can actually look quite stunning if they wear makeup, but otherwise they look plain jane, but isn't that what we are all in the business of doing?  We take an attractive woman and make them look even more appealing. And for the models, they want to look their best, be it through makeup or photoshop.

Photographer

Bixler Photography

Bay City, Michigan, US

Doug Henning? Whatever happened to that guy?

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Bixler Photography wrote:
Doug Henning? Whatever happened to that guy?

Sadly he died in 2000..

I wasn't a fan.. But he died.. And that's still sad..

Jul 25 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

T R Willmitch wrote:
Hi,

All the camera dimly captures is what it sees.  But never forget that each of these models is a real person -- a living, breathing individual attempting to express some aspect of who he or she is.

The real challenge for any thoughtful photographer is to choose the right model and then coax the camera past the surface… to reveal the unique beauty of the individual model.  The proper focal-length lens; careful lighting; makeup, hair, and clothing; proper sets; and Photoshop retouching -- these are just tools to that end.

Is this faking it?  No, it is looking beneath the surface and revealing a deeper truth.

Take care,
Tom

Is that what it takes? OMG No wonder my photos all suck.
How about the photographer who chooses a model and then convinces her/him to give him the image he wants?

Jul 25 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

DJV Photography wrote:
I agree totally with UdoR.  I have met quite a lot of naturally beautiful women. Problem is most of them are not models.  They have everyday jobs and everyday lives and they do not want to be models.  But I have also met models that look fantastic with lip gloss and nothing else, makeup wise. Truth be told, many women do not take care of their faces (ie; tanning, not moisturizing, not properly cleaning off makeup, etc) so they need the gifts of the trained makeup artist to look their best.  And yes, some women can actually look quite stunning if they wear makeup, but otherwise they look plain jane, but isn't that what we are all in the business of doing?  We take an attractive woman and make them look even more appealing. And for the models, they want to look their best, be it through makeup or photoshop.

Still missing my point.. Even these natural beauties. These perfect 10s..  Tell me you couldn't take a bad picture..

Tell me there isn't a bad angle, a bad outfit, a blink.. Tell me they're perfect 24/7..

Horseshit..

And why?

Even if they are perfect 24/7..  Familiarity degrades beauty..  Why I wouldn't want to live at the beach..  You visit beauty once in a while and it will literally suck the air out of your lungs, put sparkle in your eye, and drop your jaw into a humble bow...

Live there all your life... And it's just another day at the beach..

Jul 25 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Sadly he died in 2000..

I wasn't a fan.. But he died.. And that's still sad..

Aww, come on. . .
How can you NOT be a fan?!

https://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/magicians/doug-henning/10044040.jpg

Jul 25 06 12:15 pm Link

Model

Keeper

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

I agree that beauty is all about faking it, and you know what? I'm A-Ok with that :-)

~Keeper

Jul 25 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

https://www.zeke.com.au/tutorial/airbrush/before.jpg

https://www.zeke.com.au/tutorial/airbrush/after.jpg

Jul 25 06 12:30 pm Link

Model

Brittany H

Beverly Hills, California, US

I think in the world of modeling what is important IS what comes out in photographs.  The purpose is to sell the image or the product and it has to be appealing to the eye or draw the consumer in.  I think tho that some models are naturally beautiful and they look good on or off the pages and others are more fasinating under the makeup and with the skill of a photographer.  So it's not a matter of 'faking' it it's a matter of what works.  I personally prefer the photos that are untouched and without a lot of makeup of myself.  But for a price I will put it on with a spatula! smile  lol!

Jul 25 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

zardoz35

North Augusta, South Carolina, US

Black Ricco wrote:
https://www.zeke.com.au/tutorial/airbrush/before.jpg

https://www.zeke.com.au/tutorial/airbrush/after.jpg

I'll take Black Ricco's top photo anyday. At least you know who/what you're dealing with. The bottom one is bull****.

Jul 25 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Keeper wrote:
I agree that beauty is all about faking it, and you know what? I'm A-Ok with that :-)

~Keeper

Good to hear.. Because if there's a moral judgement in this, I don't know what it is..  It's just an observation.. I don't think anyone's good or bad for agreeing or not agreeing..

Jul 25 06 12:42 pm Link

Model

Brittany H

Beverly Hills, California, US

Untouched and no MUA ( did my own makeup).  You can see I don't like to wear alot of it...https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/togosmerced05/beachlaguna244-1.jpg
and the most makeup i've worn on a shoot (with MUA)
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/togosmerced05/63746756-Ti.jpg

point being personally I don't think alot of makeup does it for me...it's all a personal opinion tho I suppose.

Jul 25 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I'll take Black Ricco's top photo anyday.

Just for the record, I had absolutely nothing to do with the photographs I posted. I did not take them, nor did I manipulate them, but I thought they were perfect examples of just one of the areas of manipulation and fakery that goes into the illusion of beauty.

Jul 25 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Britni Hall wrote:
Untouched and no MUA ( did my own makeup).  You can see I don't like to wear alot of it...https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/togosmerced05/beachlaguna244-1.jpg
and the most makeup i've worn on a shoot (with MUA)
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/togosmerced05/63746756-Ti.jpg

point being personally I don't think alot of makeup does it for me...it's all a personal opinion tho I suppose.

Very good examples..  Personally, I think your..... Wow?  Does that work?

But the point is.. Look over the pictures in your port.. Every one's different.. Your avatar is 7 feet tall and has a 2 inch torso.. The pic in your bio shows you straight on with more normal dimensions (and still wow)..  It's not just makeup.. It's all over it.. But tell the truth.. If I were to walk in to your bedroom right now and snap a pic of you hunched over your computer with a camera phone.. Would it go in your port?  Probably not...

It's not just makeup.. Every aspect of what we do is about taking good things and making them look beyond..  Pushing past the envelope of what's normal.. And a big chunk of the industry is about selling the idea that those images are an ideal that can be had 24/7 if you just do or buy whatever it is the ads are selling..

The only thing I'm commenting on is that I find it odd that so many (even inside the industry) seem as if they buy into some or all of that..

Jul 25 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

bang bang photo wrote:

Paul

Isys Entertainment wrote:
Studio Artists are the new generation, pro tools does wonders..I won't even get into the fact that "most" of these main stream artists can't write their own lyrics because that is not new in the music biz.

I know what you mean but there are still some artists that can perform live and knock my socks off. Not many though.

Is Berres Hammond one who can knock your socks off ?

Jul 25 06 01:37 pm Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tony Culture Photoz
Is Berres Hammond one who can [i wrote:

knock your socks off[/i] ?

Berres can knock panties off..lol

Edit: The quote thingy hates me today

Jul 25 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

randy wolf

Seattle, Washington, US

well...not to say that it doesnt matter what we all think, because we are all artists and have our likes and dislikes...BUT, we are also trying to make a living, and in order to sell we have to somewhat conform to what is selling and what the client wants. I think we can all agree that a cosmetic company is not going to want a model with blotchy skin and other natural "imperfections" so, what Im getting at is perhaps a question that Im sure has been brought up before, but Ill ask it again...who is responsible for this fake beauty demand? are we all just pawns in the game? Or is it up to the us to change that perception, if it needs changing at all?
or an other question is, is this fake beauty such a bad thing after all? is it so bad to have an idea of perfection and display it? yes yes, becarefull of all the children who grow to scrub their faces with steel wool and devope eating disorders. or should we? open ended yes..but..fun to watch the opinions fly.

Jul 25 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Go here and check out the paintings, er, photographs of Mariah Carey under celebrity portraits.

I don't think there's anything wrong with enhancements of any kind. The object is to "sell" the illusion. Snobby purists irritate me.

Jul 25 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I think "faking" it might be too strong of a word.....but we definitely are in the "illusion" business.....

My clients don't pay me to photograph "reality".......it's  certain "look"....a "style".....not the real thing which is why they hire me.....to create an illusion that is acceptable to their clients.....or the public in general...

A lot of my work is considered "commercial"......there is no reality to it.....I'm paid to make something or someone "look good".....as to what looking good might be.....that's entirely up to the client........even if our opinions differ...it's their dime.

If you want reality....be a photojournalist......but even there your bias will show through.....but it's closer to the real thing then what we do.....

And if you think what we do is faking it.....you should try food photography for awhile........

Jul 25 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Beautiful presentations and compositions are not fake
Beautiful photos are not fake
Inspiration and passion is not fake
The thrill of doing what we love is not fake
Original thinking and good art is not fake

Kindness and compassion in finding someones beautiful side as a photographer is not fake.

Natural beauty is not fake

This is all beautiful. It comes from the inside out.

I'm damn happy to be alive. That's beautiful too.

Click Hamilton
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

https://k43.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/54768885.2006010918173w.jpg

Jul 26 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

There was a TV movie about the Arthurian myths called "Merlin" a few years ago. In it Merlin has a discussion with Morgan LaFey. He claims that her use of fairy glamour magic is just an illusion.

Morgan replies, "Beauty is always only an illusion."

Jul 27 06 12:04 am Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

I agree with both WG Rowland and Udor.  It is one of those paradoxical things, both are true and yet both exclude one another.

I like things natural, the way they really are.  I find beauty in the natural state of things.  But beauty is am intagible concept that resides only in our heads.

The object of beauty may be real, but the concept of beauty is not.

Jul 27 06 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

I'm just trying to figure out if it matters or if I even care  HHhhmmmm.

Nah, I guess not. Fake or reality doesn't matter. It is how the image makes the viewer feel that matters and that is what needs to be my main focus.

Bill

Jul 27 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Bill Bates wrote:
I'm just trying to figure out if it matters or if I even care  HHhhmmmm.

Nah, I guess not. Fake or reality doesn't matter. It is how the image makes the viewer feel that matters and that is what needs to be my main focus.

Bill

Exactamundo!

Viewers response to an image is not fake at all, therefore the image is not fake.

What if we swap lenses on our cameras or change the ISO for more sensitivity to light than our human eyes can see? Does that alter reality, or is it just a different perspective on reality?

Who ever said our own eyes and brain are the calibration of reality? There is no law of nature that dictates that.

Subjectively, we can think anything is fake.
Objectively, reality exists as it does, regardless of MM threads

:::sip:::

Jul 27 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

WG Rowland wrote:

I'm glad many people don't get it. It's an advantage.

Jul 27 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

zardoz35

North Augusta, South Carolina, US

Hey, it's the United States, where everything can be an illusion!!!!!!! Beauty, truth, morality, trust, ect. are all subject to photoshopping. Just a thought.

Jul 27 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I find it funny.. Click and I argue when we're in total agreement..

There are beautiful moments everywhere.. All around us.. All the time. 

I think his point was that..

My only addition is that these moments don't attach themselves to people, or places, or things.. They're everywhere..  Usually hiding right out in the open.  Our job is to find them, to enhance them, and sometimes to create them out of whole cloth.

Jul 27 06 12:49 pm Link