Forums > General Industry > Managers did they go out of style like flat butts?

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

I want to know who on here has a manger to manage to their modeling (with anything else) career???

AND

Does having a manager make your career easier or do you feel you could do it all by yourself???

Hence: I want to get one but I'm unsure.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

:::Coco:::
GetCoco.NET  coming soon!

Jul 24 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Because this is a scam free zone.  We avoid things like "model managers" aka SLUGGOs...

Jul 24 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

If you do a search of "manager" here in the forums, this topic has been argued/debated/whatever to death.

Jul 24 06 09:45 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

Yes, I've browsed thru some of them but never seen anyone ask or answer if they have one or are they any good (for you).

Jul 24 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Since you seem intent on having the conversation, first define what you mean by "manager" (assuming that it isn't just a cool word, so you think you ought to have one).

Already in this thread one post at least has assumed "Internet manager" is what is meant.  Could be.  Or could be "real manager", which is very different.

Bear in mind that the answer is different in various locations, too.  Even among "real managers", the term tends to mean something very different in New York than California, and different still in Texas.  There are already several threads describing those differences.

So rather than just throw out a term that is so varied in its meanings as to nearly lack meaning, why don't you describe what you want someone to do for you, and why they should want to do it?

Jul 24 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Flat butts were never "in" style.

Where in hell did you come up with that?

Jul 24 06 10:19 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Already in this thread one post at least has assumed "Internet manager" is what is meant.  Could be.  Or could be "real manager", which is very different.

So rather than just throw out a term that is so varied in its meanings as to nearly lack meaning, why don't you describe what you want someone to do for you, and why they should want to do it?

I dont think I would need a so called "internet manager" if had a "real manager". Internet managers for what I've read on a few posts could be anyone you declare that helps you or represent you over the net which I think the term and the meaning is useless...

I want a manager that will help me organize my careers that I have Modeling/Choreography (and dancing) I'm about to add acting (because I am short).
I need help with my website updates when they come,
help with weeding out thru the many jobs that come to me that I may not have the time to write to all or
reply to those who want to work with me with my standards and negotiations.
I need someone to send out my resume pics and etc. to potential clients and
HELP WITH ANYTHING ELSE THAT COMES UP!

I want to get with a modeling/talent agency but it seems like in Houston the 1 "big" one is Page Parkes and they have dozes of talent and It doesn't seeeeem like they work anyone’s talent over others (uh oh I know I'm about to hear it for saying that big_smile)

Jul 24 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You missed an agency, but never mind that.  Same issue.

You also missed the part about "why they should want to do it for you". 

Real managers want to make money.  For a manager to take you on and not also have lots of others, you have to generate enough commission money to make it worth their while.  How many tens of thousands of dollars are you making on these things you want a manager for?

Much of what you have described is an "agent" function, not a "manager" function, although they are also done by "Internet managers" (to the degree they do anything at all.)

Jul 24 06 10:53 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

Black Ricco wrote:
Flat butts were never "in" style.

Where in hell did you come up with that?

Dont act like you didn't know flat booties where ever in style??? Take a quick look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CaZx-RG78Y

Jul 24 06 10:57 pm Link

Model

angela camp

Los Angeles, California, US

Coco from Houston wrote:

Dont act like you didn't know flat booties where ever in style??? Take a quick look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CaZx-RG78Y

LOL,  we've come so far!

Jul 24 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

ZKWC

Malibu, California, US

Coco from Houston wrote:
I want to know who on here has a manger to manage to their modeling (with anything else) career???

AND

Does having a manager make your career easier or do you feel you could do it all by yourself???

Hence: I want to get one but I'm unsure.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

GetCoco.NET  coming soon!

If a "manager" contacts me after I've tried contacting a model... they will have my wrath! I don't deal with managers.

Jul 24 06 11:02 pm Link

Model

angela camp

Los Angeles, California, US

To respond to the OP, I think having a manager is useless if you aren't making lots of money.  Managers usually get 10-15% of your income, if they are acting as an agent as well and have contacts that will get you opportunities then a manager will be useful.  But just to organize your business and schedule, it seems like an unneccessary expenditure.

Getting an agent would be your best bet.  There are more than a couple of agencies in Houston.

Jul 24 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Coco from Houston wrote:

I dont think I would need a so called "internet manager" if had a "real manager". Internet managers for what I've read on a few posts could be anyone you declare that helps you or represent you over the net which I think the term and the meaning is useless...

I want a manager that will help me organize my careers that I have Modeling/Choreography (and dancing) I'm about to add acting (because I am short).
I need help with my website updates when they come,
help with weeding out thru the many jobs that come to me that I may not have the time to write to all or
reply to those who want to work with me with my standards and negotiations.
I need someone to send out my resume pics and etc. to potential clients and
HELP WITH ANYTHING ELSE THAT COMES UP!

I want to get with a modeling/talent agency but it seems like in Houston the 1 "big" one is Page Parkes and they have dozes of talent and It doesn't seeeeem like they work anyone’s talent over others (uh oh I know I'm about to hear it for saying that big_smile)

Coco,
You don’t need a manager you need an assistant.

Jul 24 06 11:12 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

Thank you for your reply Ms. Camp,

The reason I'm asking is because there is a model that I know of (in Houston) that has a manager, that has not the same or more exposure, or following as I. If she is a beginer then her manager must be the 2 in 1 you talking about. OR she was F.O.S.

.... BTW you have great pictures

Jul 24 06 11:19 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Managers are LAME.

They're basically pimps!

Any model with a reasonable combination of intelligence, motivation, and (!!!) sense of self worth is WAY better off on her own.

An assistant might be a different situation, I don't know.

Jul 24 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

Josie Nutter wrote:
Managers are LAME.

An assistant might be a different situation, I don't know.

Let me explain what I mean when I say assistant. I am talking about someone who comes in for an hour or two a day or possibly every other day, depending on workload. This person checks and prescreens messages and e-mails based on a pre-established set of criteria, sends out requests for additional information, regrets to the types of work one is not interested in, handles scheduling, and assembles and sends out resumes and portfolios as requested.

Jul 25 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I don't know about managers but thank GOD that flat butts went out of style!! That shit was lame like tye dye and hypercolor shirts!

Jul 25 06 12:19 am Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

NewBoldPhoto wrote:

Let me explain what I mean when I say assistant. I am talking about someone who comes in for an hour or two a day or possibly every other day, depending on workload. This person checks and prescreens messages and e-mails based on a pre-established set of criteria, sends out requests for additional information, regrets to the types of work one is not interested in, handles scheduling, and assembles and sends out resumes and portfolios as requested.

Okay Okay I'm seeing the difference... I do need that, I want to keep my modeling full time with out it taking all day to read emails, send out needed info, etc. I think I can afford that... i just gotta get someone that is qualified and trustworthy!

thanks, newboldphoto.

Jul 25 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

Coco,
Look close to home. The secretary down the street, the one that just had the baby a month ago, she’s your prime candidate.

Jul 25 06 12:31 am Link