Forums > General Industry > If your gut instinct tells you to cancel a shoot..

Photographer

Sketch47

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

...you should cancel!

btw:  This is my third attempt to post this hopefully helpful message.

Good reasons to cancel a shoot:

I was looking forward to working with a model recently-(this was a paid shoot).  I sent messages going over shoot locations (to include jpeg images of those locations to give the model a sense of atmosphere prior to shooting). My messages discussed themes and ideas, fashions I was hoping to shoot.  I also provided the model (and makeup artist) lodging with the intention that the model be ready to begin our shoot early.  And I indicated I'd be requiring her signature on a standard adult model release.

Things to pay attention to before you follow through with your paid shoot:

1.  Messages where you've asked questions of the model but the model's responses are sketchy...and questions remain unanswered.  ie:  fashions that the model can bring that would be helpful, the fact that you use a model release, and that you want to start EARLY when shooting outdoors.
(I've found that models can be so busy they don't bother looking at images you send that may help them get a sense of location/atmosphere).

2.  If a model tells you she really likes your work.  (Caution here)...I'm learning quickly...it may be that the model wants the money much more than investing a little time and energy  (if she is truly interested in getting exceptional photos) in order to understand your creative intentions.  Again, be wary of models who seem to be too busy to give you the time you require.  It may just be the money they are after.

3.  I mentioned to the model that I am not a professional photographer.  I probably take a little more time than a professional to get really good shots.  I would usually use a tripod for example (indoors) if lighting were not good.  We had no time for this.  I should have cancelled...I was shooting just to be shooting.  Not a comfortable way to work!

4.  If a model indicates she has to cut her time with you shoot due to family issues or emergencies...(in my case I didn't find out until the last minute)..you should cancel or certainly reschedule. Let her know that an hour won't be nearly be enough time to get the best images.   If the model is able to give 100%, I will also.  The resulting images will reflect both the models interest and time....and my own.  In the case of this shoot...there are some good images (useful), but I'm sure there would have been exceptional images...and more images of use to me.

5.   I realize models can be very busy people, especially those in demand.  In the future, I will be very reluctant to work with models where I sense they are not really interested in getting the best images possible...where I sense it is only the money they are interested in.  Creativity (at least for me) shouldn't be based on the buck).  Just my honest opinion.

In conclusion, in the future, I won't hesitate to cancel a shoot...even at the last minute if a model begins citing negatives and things she won't do...when I've had the courtest to do all I can to insure a successful shoot.  I'll know insincerity....and disinterest when I see (sense) it.

Jul 23 06 10:37 pm Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

That's good to know.  Since I am a newbie I find myself doing some of that stuff but it's not because I'm sketchy, just my lack of experience!

Jul 23 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

double post.

Jul 23 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

If your gut instinct tells you to cancel a shoot..

..go to the bathroom..

If it STILL tells you to cancel afterwards.. At least you know it's not a case of bad chili..

Jul 23 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

mmm...bad chili.

Wow-way to alienate your limited pool of talent.  You have the most wonderful gift, self-estem as a photographer. Wish I had some....

Jul 23 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

WG Rowland wrote:
If your gut instinct tells you to cancel a shoot..

..go to the bathroom..

If it STILL tells you to cancel afterwards.. At least you know it's not a case of bad chili..

If it were bad chili I would very much want to cancel the shoot.

Going by your gut instincts is usually sound advice, particlarly so when it makes the the hairs on the back of your neck stand up

Jul 23 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

Plan It Well.....Don't Beg....If a model Truly Likes your work she will do everything to shoot with Ya and make the appointment !!!!......If They say something has come up, understand and move one...Push It and You will get a cancellation and a Bad Attitude....

Manny D.

Jul 23 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

How long does it take to gain the insight and wisdom to know if its worth going with the gut.  I have had'em but I just rack it up to being, I qoute Mr.T,"on the Jazz"  (Nerves)

Jul 23 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Bullhead Photography wrote:

If it were bad chili I would very much want to cancel the shoot.

Going by your gut instincts is usually sound advice, particlarly so when it makes the the hairs on the back of your neck stand up

Agreed (man the jokes are falling flat tonight..)

I've actually cancelled one based not only private emails but public postings that came along later as well that all added up to a bad vibe..  Even if it turns out to be wrong.. If you're not comfortable, you're not going to shoot well anyway..

Was NOT knocking the OP's point.. Just a little ha ha on a sunday.

Jul 23 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sketch47

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Thanks for all of your notes.  The model I worked so briefly with..has done exceptional work.  I think she is used to a fast pace...and I'm more comfortable with a bit more time.  On a positive note, the model was honest about her rates...I thought they were hourly...she indicated they were flat rates.

I think shoots are far more fun...and the work that results is much better if there is that....*creative connection*.  For example, Ashley Rae is a photographer's dream (she is a Colorado model and she models for artists (Loveland Academy).  You can sense her interest in the creative energy right away.  She has done beautiful work..and I sense she ALWAYS takes the time...for her photographers.  While I'm sure she enjoys the paid shoots...she is just a very good example of a model who I believe has more of a concern for the images that result.

Yes, the more specific I can be in the future...the better.  I fault myself to a degree.  But the model still has to show some interest in my messages and the information I'm conveying.  My messages can be a bit long-winded...trying to cover themes/ideas as well as I can.  Models traveling can schedule a lot of shoots.  I will tend to make sure (in the future) that I will be working with a model who isn't backed up with shoots prior to the one we've scheduled.

btw:  I'm relatively new to MM.  GREAT website!!!  I'm really looking forward to working with more models.   I'll try to be a better communicator my self...when it comes to expressing my thoughts....planning a shoot etc.
---Michael

Jul 23 06 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

Thanks for spilling your guts...

Jul 23 06 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I usually get a much better vibe during a phone call. Many models don't read materials you send to them, so don't count on that! (or even the description in a  job posting/casting call, for that matter... https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=52585 )

Jul 24 06 12:27 am Link