Forums > General Industry > What not to say on a photo shoot.

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

Ive learnt over the years that its best to keep your mouth shut on jobs.
Clients dont ant your upinion if your a model
They just want to get the shot, thats why they booked you.
So for many years now, Ive just turned up. stood in front of the camera and gone home.
Job done !!

Jul 25 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

miss z

San Francisco, California, US

*OFFTOPIC, well sort of*  hahaha!!  I am enjoying these lines very very much.

Jul 25 06 02:05 am Link

Model

Sara Danielle

My very first EVER shoot the photog said~~~ "Your ass is soo hot I just want to grab it!"

Got my things and LEFT!!!!! SCARY!!!! He was and still a GWC and is still on MM!!!!!

( this wasn't a mis rep by me but thought it was good for this thread.)

Jul 25 06 02:12 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

to AD... just sit there and hold the freakin page layout up to the monitor... makin it fit is YOUR job not mine

edit... meant what i said. the dude was literally holding a ruler up to the screen to see how the image would fit his layout

*sigh

Jul 25 06 02:15 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

"just ignore that huge erection in my pants, that happens at all my shoots"

Jul 25 06 02:17 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Lapis wrote:
"just ignore that huge erection in my pants, that happens at all my shoots"

shhhhhhhhh damn you give away all my secrets!!! geesh!!!!!!!!!

Jul 25 06 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Keith Carey Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

When doing real estate headshots with a real stiff... "OK, now look at me like you really give a shit about what I'm saying" That didn't go over well...

Jul 25 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Steve Cain

Irvine, California, US

UdoR wrote:

I hate the word "tats"... and I know many people in the bodymod community do so as well.

Are you English? Although I do think that's inappropriate too. Wait a sec, you're talkin' "toos" smile

Jul 25 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

A bikini is by definition a 2-piece swimsuit, ergo the monokini...
BTW, how do guys go in public in one of those tiny things? I'm not particularly big and if I try to go out in a speedo or something like it I will be sticking out of the swimsuit all day...

Anjel Britt wrote:
hey orange
;-)
i think that they are simply what we in Uk call 'a normal swim suit for a guy '
- like a speedo.
bikini underwear and bikini swimwear is available for guys
its teeeny
unlike the voluminous trunks, almost to the knees, that are in vogue in the  USA

Jul 25 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

"No.. it's just a roll of quarters"

Me: "Is that a spider in your hair?"
Model runs around screaming, flailing about.
Me: "Not on your head!"
Model: "You @ss hole!" 
Me: "I meant your back!"
Model: "Shut up and take the damn picture" almost in tears and laughing.

Response to a casting call: "Sorry.. can't use you.. you're too ugly"  (Model is stunning and has a sense of humor.  Latest in my port).

Jul 25 06 04:08 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

When I was posing for a fellow student for her figure study stuff. . .

"Can you make it bigger?"

Ouch

Jul 25 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Chip Morton wrote:
When I was posing for a fellow student for her figure study stuff. . .

"Can you make it bigger?"

Ouch

The correct response (and the one you never think of until too late),
"That's YOUR job!"

Jul 25 06 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

I was shooting a fashion shot in Boston near one of the fountains. It was a rather windy day and I see that the wind is blowing some of the water spray to the side.

She was obviously zoning at the moment because I asked her, "Are you getting wet?" and she responds....

"Huh?  What?  I mean...escuse me!? Looking at me horrified so I start pointing at the fountain next her spraying water.  She then says....

"Oh!, oops, sorry.  I thought you meant...."   yeah, I knew what you thought.

Jul 25 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

I use to work for a major department store.One of the models was doing a pantie shot she comes out look at my big camel toe.I wanted to say something but had to keep my mouth shut all the corpert rules..It was a very nice camel toe had to say.

Jul 25 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

I did a nude shot of this girl other day.I wet her chest down way it was lite had a shine to it.The model says i am not even going to say what that looks like.I said oh come on.She said looks like someone took a jizz on me and rubbed it in.I was like damn stop that your killing me.

Jul 25 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

"corpert rules"? Seems there are a lot of words missing from here because it doesn't make sense...

Just Shoot Me Photograp wrote:
I use to work for a major department store.One of the models was doing a pantie shot she comes out look at my big camel toe.I wanted to say something but had to keep my mouth shut all the corpert rules..It was a very nice camel toe had to say.

Jul 25 06 01:52 pm Link

Model

Karina Kerr

Dunwoody, Georgia, US

StMarc wrote:
"Holy Crap, are those things real?"

Okay, I've never said it, but I was *really really* tempted to one time. I also had a line I used to use which I said the first time by accident, but thought it was so funny I said it all the time on purpose after that. In my old studio we had this really, really nice couch that was really comfortable. Even when models were just shooting headshots or whatever, they always gravitated to the couch. One time I said to one who was looking at it longingly:

'Go ahead. Sooner or later all the models end up on the couch."

Then, right on the beat:

"That didn't sound very good, did it?"

*we both crack up.*

M

now THAT is funny smile lmao!

Jul 25 06 01:57 pm Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

LMAO.
Awhile ago i went on a roadtrip photoshoot with 2 photographers and 3 models. One of the models let me borrow her skirt (which i was in love with) and me and the photographer were getting ready to shoot.
I whisper to the other model "OMG, im so excited"

They both turn and stare as i tried to explain....i didnt mean it THAT way wink

Jul 25 06 02:24 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

wasnt quite something i said, more like something i did, got to a great shoot for a magazine, went to say hello when i shook the photogs hand and let out the biggest belch ever.....luckily he thought it was hysterical and actually had to sit down he was laughing so hard.....now when i shoot with him he refers to me as uber belch

Jul 25 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

I was shooting nudes indoors and it got seriously hot under the lights.  I offered her something to drink and she asked if I had any apple juice that wasn't too sweet.  All I had were these juice box things that my son is addicted to, grabbed her one out of the fridge, and after she'd had a few sips of it I asked...

"So, how does your juice box taste?"

Hilarity ensued.

Jul 25 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Somewhere in Time Studi

Winter Haven, Florida, US

oldguysrule wrote:

shhhhhhhhh damn you give away all my secrets!!! geesh!!!!!!!!!

How about...." Damn, I thought my boner would hold up my pants, but guess what!!"

On a different note, how many times have you had to tell a model to close her legs?? How do you say that in a nice way??

Jul 25 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

On a shoot without a MUA:

Me (looking at model's face):  So, I think you should go ahead and do your make-up.

Model:  I already put on make-up!  What are you saying?

Me: Oh, nothing.

Jul 25 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Photografika

Utica, Michigan, US

Ok, so this wasn't on a shoot but about one. The night before it my wife and I were out to dinner and she suddenly changes topics and says:

"So are you going to take this guy down in the basement and shoot him?"

Got the strangest looks from the people in the next booth, but we both had a good laugh about it.

Jul 25 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

"can you see my tampon string?"

...well that wasn't going to be the focus of the picture, but NOW it is! big_smile

Jul 25 06 04:43 pm Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

Starview Studio wrote:
Ok, so this wasn't on a shoot but about one. The night before it my wife and I were out to dinner and she suddenly changes topics and says:

"So are you going to take this guy down in the basement and shoot him?"

Got the strangest looks from the people in the next booth, but we both had a good laugh about it.

LMFAO!!!
when i first joined this site, someone emailed me with the subject "I WANT TO SHOOT YOU"
thats all his email said.
i was so freaked out at first.

Jul 25 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Rieves Photography

Avon Lake, Ohio, US

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
"No.. it's just a roll of quarters"

Me: "Is that a spider in your hair?"
Model runs around screaming, flailing about.
Me: "Not on your head!"
Model: "You @ss hole!" 
Me: "I meant your back!"
Model: "Shut up and take the damn picture" almost in tears and laughing.

Response to a casting call: "Sorry.. can't use you.. you're too ugly"  (Model is stunning and has a sense of humor.  Latest in my port).

I gotta remember the spider remark. That's a great ice breaker. smile

Jul 25 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

EA Photographics

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
"corpert rules"? Seems there are a lot of words missing from here because it doesn't make sense...

Um, I believe he meant CORPORATE rules....  smile

Jul 25 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:

Models could say anything they wanted but we could not.

Jul 25 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Well.....

These situations aren't anything I said, but are what the model said to me - and either could have been the sterotypical GWC moment. Both happened back in my film days:

I was shooting nude figure in studio. I'm up on a ladder, the model's lying on the floor, my assistant hands me the camera. I fire off a frame, wind, fire another frame, wind.....something's not right. I look a bit closer and realize - there's no film in the camera! I looked at the model and said "Ummm....there's no film in the camera." She looks bewildered, then starts laughing - not at the fact the camera's not loaded, but the look on my face. She said, and I quote: "You looked like a dog about to get a bath..." It was a simple mistake - my assistant thought I loaded the camera; I thought she had loaded the camera.

Another time, I was shooting nudes with the Holga. The model was a pro, and had never done nude work but liked my work well enough she modeled for me on the condition of anonymity. I knew this model's fashion and commercial work, so this was something I took as a great compliment. However, I didn't take the time to explain to her what the Holga was. When she saw it, a puzzled look came across her face. I raised the camera and pressed the shutter; for those of you not familiar with the Holga, the shutter makes a funny "springy-boing" noise. Then winding the film makes a cheap plastic grinding noise.

It was for this reason that I saved my Holga work with nudes for the end of the studio sessions: she stared at the camera, then looked at me and burst into laughter. "Oh my God.....are you serious????" she asked as she scurried back into her robe....

Jul 25 06 05:31 pm Link

Model

BingeAndPurge

Mount Vernon, Washington, US

From last night:

Me: (Referenceing a pose)  "Like this?"
Photographer:  "Yeah.  Okay, now...  suck."

Meaning straighten up and suck in my stomach. 

Oh, and me to the other model who was holding the fan:  "Come on, blow me."

Jul 26 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Havoc Brand

Crown Point, Indiana, US

while shooting at model on a hot day, in a tree lined area covered in bugs...

Photog - "You should go rub off in my car"

Model - "I haven't had to rub off in years"

She had a straight face the whole time, until I turned bright red... Then she bust out laughing... I explained I have OFF bug spray in the car...

Jul 27 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

can I use your underwear to clean my lens ?

Jul 27 06 12:06 pm Link