Forums > General Industry > Another no-show

Photographer

Martin Hazine

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I had two models scheduled for separate shoots, one Saturday and on Sunday (today), both have not shown up and not bothered to even made an attempt to contact me.  I would rather hear a model say she didn't feel comfortable with nudes or just didn't feel like going than to sit and wait for another no-show.

Jul 23 06 04:04 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Time Warner cable no-showed me and told me they came but no one answered the door

my bedroom (which i was in) is the first door on the right when you enter. those bastards didn't come

instead of making excuses they could have called me, damn those no shows!!!

Jul 23 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

MartinH wrote:
I had two models scheduled for separate shoots, one Saturday and on Sunday (today), both have not shown up and not bothered to even made an attempt to contact me.  I would rather hear a model say she didn't feel comfortable with nudes or just didn't feel like going than to sit and wait for another no-show.

At first I thought there was something in the Arizona water ... but ... well ... I guess there's a certain universality to it when ya come right down to it ...

Jul 23 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

seekphotography

Anaheim, California, US

did they contact you to shoot or did you contact them?

if they contacted you, make them pay a $$ deposit that is refunded after the shoot ... if you contacted them, then that's the breaks ..

Jul 23 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Martin Hazine

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Seek Photography wrote:
did they contact you to shoot or did you contact them?

if they contacted you, make them pay a $$ deposit that is refunded after the shoot ... if you contacted them, then that's the breaks ..

I added an acknowledgement on their OMP portfolio with the "Desire to Work With" option.  They contacted me and I confirmed the time and date on Wednesday with a "awesome can't wait" response and they just didn't show up.

The frustrating thing is that in the last 5 weeks, I was supposed to have 3 photoshoots.  Two girls rescheduled then didn't show up at all (with one apologizing because she forgot and then not rescheduling) and the other just didn't show up.  I never had this much trouble when I had paid shoots. 

I just wish the weather was better so I could just forget shooting models for a while and just shoot buildings or something.   TFCD costs me a fortune in wasted time.

Jul 23 06 05:39 pm Link

Model

_J E S S I C A_

Huntington Beach, California, US

MartinH wrote:

Now this is an interesting post.  But it would be 20 thousand times more helpful and meaningful if you said WHO the model is.  Otherwise this is just like a personal rant...it goes in one ear and out the other.  In this "Model Mayhem" world we are all connected to each other by who we work with, weather that be TFP or paid jobs.  It is unfair that someone showed such carelessness for your time.  A courtesy call would have been great but she didn't even give you that-I find that to be EXTREMELY disrespectful and unprofessional. Hmmmm…………

A very dear (photographer) friend of mine does TFP on a very VERY limited basis.  When he does however, he first has the model meet him @ HIS place a week before the scheduled shoot.  He does this to see if the model is committed and serious about working with him.  He never goes out of his way to meet a model...that sadly ends up in being stood up @ the  coffee shop down the street.  I think this is a pretty logical and professional way to go about setting up TFP shoots....Because there is nothing worse than working with someone who doesn't really want to work with you and does not appreciate your art, what you do, OR your time.

-J

Jul 23 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Martin Hazine

Phoenix, Arizona, US

oOoJESSICAoOo wrote:
Now this is an interesting post.  But it would be 20 thousand times more helpful and meaningful if you said WHO the model is.  Otherwise this is just like a personal rant...

Honestly, it was a bit of a rant on my part, but you bring up a good point.  One of the models contacted me through an ad I placed on craiglist, so I'm not sure if I should put their name on here.  The other models are from MM and OMP so I figure they already have their name out there.  So here it is:

Anonymous Model: I won't say the name, but she has a photo of her and a cut-out of orlando bloom in her myspace photo - rescheduled because she was having car problems and then a no show and no contact afterwards.

Avila: OMP#254973 - No Show (today) and so far no explanation

Raven: MM#145509 - Couldn't make it to the first scheduled time, but cancelled the day of, because of a family emergency, we rescheduled, then she was a No Show, but I rec'd an email a day after the scheduled shoot saying she forgot.  I was thinking about rescheduling, but at this point its not worth it.

Jul 23 06 06:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

From my past experience it is some of the models on OMP and MM that do not show up.  Perhaps they are not as serious as some about pictures etc.

All of the professional models (signed with agency's)  always have shown up when I was doing a shoot with them.

Just an observation and a comment.

I think the key word here is PROFESSIONAL.  Obviously some of the models on here and on OMP are definately not!

Jul 23 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

New rule:
Internet models only work with GWCs
Professional models work with professional photographers.

Jul 23 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Waddington

Combermere, Ontario, Canada

There is something to be said for listing the name of the model so that other photographers can get a flavor for how he/she acts and how professional they are, or aren't.  I am not opposed to a model calling to adjust a date or time but it really pisses me off when you drive to a site, lug equipment and perhaps an assistant only to have a No Show and to learn later that they "slept through the alarm" or they "were out too late and forgot about the shoot" or "their roommate had the calling card and the landlord won't let them make long distance calls".

If this site is to be of serious use we need to treat it as a professional tool and help each other rather than use it as a social tool. 

It should send the message we take our careers seriously as photographers and if the models can't do likewise then perhaps they should go and play in some other area.

Jul 23 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

KLiK Graphics

Spring, Texas, US

Another modeling site, net-model, has a forum for photographers only for model references and one for models only for photograqpher references. Maybe something like that could work here?

Ihad a no sho last summer where I was on the beach ready to shoot before sunrise and the model failed to show. After wasting my precious gas to get to Galveston, not that far but it was at the crack of dawn, I never heard another word from her.

Another one as a no show twice at my studio. I no longer give second chances.

Jul 23 06 07:29 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I thought we decided on the tar-and-feather method of punishment....or was it public flaming?

Jul 23 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Some here touched on it and I'll continue.  If you have been asked for a TFP
shoot ask for a refundable deposit.  If you ask then ask for a call confirming
when they leave to meet you.  Part of the problem is that models often see
no real value in shooting with photographers for TFP.  They think its free so
its worthless.  I'm not speaking for all the models on MM but many here have
no respect for a photographers time and could care less about calling or
cancelling.  So what do you do about it?  You have to act as a pro to be treated
like one.  I don't mean that you should be callous or mean but make sure
that a model knows that if she/he doesn't call and confirm there's no shoot.
Collect a depost whenever possible.  If a model is a no show for whatever reason
even if she calls ask for a deposit and if she refuses well she's a model you
won't shoot.  To me its become a huge joke, photographer after photographer
complaining about this issue but most don't take steps to prevent it.  Stand
up for yourself and your art.

Jul 23 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

oOoJESSICAoOo wrote:
A very dear (photographer) friend of mine does TFP on a very VERY limited basis.  When he does however, he first has the model meet him @ HIS place a week before the scheduled shoot.  He does this to see if the model is committed and serious about working with him.  He never goes out of his way to meet a model...that sadly ends up in being stood up @ the  coffee shop down the street.  I think this is a pretty logical and professional way to go about setting up TFP shoots....Because there is nothing worse than working with someone who doesn't really want to work with you and does not appreciate your art, what you do, OR your time.

-J

First: Very nice port, but you are wrong about one thing...elegance does get noticed..especially when one is as elegant as you smile

The second thing I think you are wrong about is the idea of the meet before the shoot. While there are 6 pages of MM female models within 5 miles of my zip, some that I would work with might be ...say in the IE; and my work is 20 miles from my home in the wrong direction. To meet each model before the shoot in So. Cal. is impractical based on my time constraints and theirs. I can't see it working unless I'm shooting with a local in the LBC, and in that case I'd rather meet at the rental studio and shoot. If I want to throw around ideas and get a feel for the model I'll use the phone. Just my 2 cents, but Ive only had one no-show since starting on MM, but I screen pretty well having been an old network marketer. wink

Jul 23 06 07:57 pm Link