Forums > General Industry > How do you feel...

Photographer

Casper Munoz

Fresno, California, US

When youre surfing MM and you notice that other photographers basically reproduce a photoshoot you have done?

Jul 23 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just to look at things from a different perspective, ask yourself what images you're doing that havent been done before. For example, on your port you mention wanting to do a future project involving caution tape. I gotta tell you, there's gotta be a least 200 of those done in some format. So remember the old adage about imitation being the most sincere form of flattery. I've learned so much from using the net in my two and a half years it's rediculous. I won't began to say I don't get ideas about posing, lighting and use of props from others. If you're gonna sample, sample from the great ones. Look up people here like Bruce T, Fotorat, Eddie Bauer, Shaun Alexander etc etc. All have something they bring to the table. Just my .02 cents...

Jul 23 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Casper Munoz wrote:
When youre surfing MM and you notice that other photographers basically reproduce a photoshoot you have done?

We are not talking about an exact duplicate, right? It's true of any art that if someone copys an idea of yours, then accept it as flattery and compliment.

There are photographers who write books about glamour lighting, equipment, and working with the models. Gary Bernstein is one of my favorites!  You will find drawing of the lighting set up, with details of how he shot it, along with the picture.  So unless you hired the same model, used the same camera, background, lighting, etc. ... you are not going to get an exact replica of the previous images!

Jul 23 06 03:40 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Casper Munoz wrote:

Weird as I found a pic today that is pretty much an exact copy of a shot I did with a photographer a while ago.
Right down to the positioning..
The only real difference was the fact she was blonde and had different undies on.

There are I suppose only so many positions and ideas in the universe to try out and after a while they will be done again and again.

Jul 23 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Since I'm not competing with any other photographer, it doesn't bother me.  If someone wants to replicate my insanity, well, they'll probably get what they deserve.

Jul 23 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

“Good artists borrow. Great artists steal.” ---Picasso

Jul 23 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Jul 23 06 10:20 pm Link