Forums > General Industry > It's not the no-show that bothers me

Photographer

Martin Hazine

Phoenix, Arizona, US

When a model is really late or just doesn't show what bothers me most is not calling and letting me know.  If I had notice a model can't make it or got cold feet I could arrange something else, instead, I wait for a model that may or may not show.  TFP shoots is turning out to be more expensive than paid shoots because atleast with paid shoots models tend to show up more and I don't have 3 weekends in a row with no-shows and no new photographs (not  even counting all the shoot setup for nothing)

Just needed to vent a little.

Jul 22 06 05:33 pm Link

Model

Nola Neko

Webb City, Missouri, US

*hugz*
I'd show up. I like your work

Jul 22 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Martin Hazine

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Cosette wrote:
*hugz*
I'd show up. I like your work

If only you were in Arizona

Jul 22 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

One more reason to not do TFP's.  The models put no value on it because you put no value on your work or your time.  Test shoots (I'm from the old school, that's what we called them) should be something special you do for yourself that is planned out.  Try only testing with models that you've worked with before and that you know will give you what you want in front of the camera.  Or at least make them meet with you first, if they show up to meet with you and discuss the shoot, I'd think they'd be more likely to show up and DO the shoot.  As far as not calling when they are running late, that is just a lack of manners.  Models, above all, can't be late for paying gigs.  Agencies will drop them so fast if they are.  Sorry you've been so frustrated, you sound like a nice guy!

Jul 26 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Amy J Jones Photography wrote:
One more reason to not do TFP's.  The models put no value on it because you put no value on your work or your time.  Test shoots (I'm from the old school, that's what we called them) should be something special you do for yourself that is planned out.  Try only testing with models that you've worked with before and that you know will give you what you want in front of the camera.  Or at least make them meet with you first, if they show up to meet with you and discuss the shoot, I'd think they'd be more likely to show up and DO the shoot.  As far as not calling when they are running late, that is just a lack of manners.  Models, above all, can't be late for paying gigs.  Agencies will drop them so fast if they are.  Sorry you've been so frustrated, you sound like a nice guy!

That's irrelevant. There have been photographers on here who offered paid assignments with quality work and models did a whodini on them.

I've beeen fortunate, but I also have had models that was supposed to meet me for a get together on a project and never heard anything from them even after I called and left a message on their machine. When I don't get a reply I don't bother because I'm looking at this person as a potential flake. I look for the next model to complete what I'm looking for.

Jul 26 06 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Senna Photography

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Amy J Jones Photography wrote:

But meeting models also are becoming no-call no-shows. Most think that they agree to a TFP and then a paid shoot comes along they can just forget the TFP and do the paid shoot. Well if they are professional they would at least call the TFP and let them know what going on.

Jul 26 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Thomas 3

Denver, Colorado, US

I found models cancelled on me when I was doing TFPs, and I was a beginning photographer. Now, I can't remember the last time a model didn't show up. Why? I pay them more than they will get from someone else. Not a lot more, but enough that they are grateful for the job. Also, I'm very clear about what they should expect from the shoot. Also, I call to confirm repeatedly in the week leading up to the shoot. Also, as my work has improved, models have become more excited to work with me.

Generally, with enough experience I think you can tell in advance which models are likely to flake. They act younger than their age. They don't return calls or emails promptly. Just don't schedule anything with anyone who comes across as unprofessional. Scheduling a meet in advance is a test that would work, but I think you can tell without doing that.

Jul 26 06 09:44 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

MartinH wrote:
When a model is really late or just doesn't show what bothers me most is not calling and letting me know.  If I had notice a model can't make it or got cold feet I could arrange something else, instead, I wait for a model that may or may not show.  TFP shoots is turning out to be more expensive than paid shoots because atleast with paid shoots models tend to show up more and I don't have 3 weekends in a row with no-shows and no new photographs (not  even counting all the shoot setup for nothing)

Just needed to vent a little.

You do understand that your thread title it "it's not the no-show that bothers me" and your post is about how much you are bothered by no-shows, right?

Jul 26 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

You do understand that your thread title it "it's not the no-show that bothers me" and your post is about how much you are bothered by no-shows, right?

But he also clarified what bothers him and not the no show. I agree with this, if a model doesn't call or email the photographer that is more annoying than a model calling. Even if the model lies, which still isn't cool, I'd take that over a no show. But I also would want that model to call me at least 2 days in advance. But we all know that in a imperfect world, this isn't going to happen. And no I'm not talking about the models where something actually did happen, but the ones who don't.

I had a model who called me during my schools season wanting to shoot. Couldn't do it, because I was already shooting, but I also wasn't too anxious to shoot with the model because we had a meeting for something totally different, she never followed up with the call, so instead of assuming that it was something else, I called to see what was going on so that we can take care of business. She tells me that she was waiting for me to call her back. WTF? Hold up, let's rewind this tape. You came to me because I had something that I can offer you, you didn't bring with you the materials which was a bad begining, we decided to reschedual so that you bring what is needed. That means you call me. That's a sign right there to never, never, never, never ever, mess with this type.

Jul 26 06 10:28 pm Link