Forums > General Industry > Okay, I wanna learn. Any help out there?

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

Some say my photos are great others say they are average and a couple say they suck. I'm beginning to think maybe they aren't all the great after all. Maybe it is because I look at them so long.

Where do I learn what makes a good model photo? I see some on here that are supposed to be my high paid photographgers that have women supposedly flocking to them for photos and shell out big $$$$. But when I look at their ports I'm thinking.....well I guess I just don't get what's all that different about them.

What am I missing?

Jul 22 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

There's a huge variety of talent or lack of talent. And there's a wide ranges of tastes and know how - so you'll get both good and useless critique. In a way the forums are sometimes not that good a place - sometimes.

It looks like you have a good grasp of camera technique - if most of your shots, on the average are like what you posted here. You've progressed past the camera operations and getting light on the model. Now you need more work on lighting and model interaction.

For the technically good and great lighting look at some of the best:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=43601
http://www.musecube.com/AnthonyCramer/

Also these two have very established styles and an eye for pulling everything together.

Jul 22 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

I really liked two of your pictures, the one with the girl smiling and the one with the two girls together. I`m not a professional critic, but I`m pretty particular when it comes to pictures I post, and if those two pictures were of me, I`d post them.

Good luck to you!

Jul 22 06 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ferradas

San Jose, California, US

It just takes practice man, keep at it, your pictures are good, you'll learn as you go.

Jul 23 06 12:02 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

you say what makes a good model photo...
what category of shot? what audience?

if you want pointers, they would be very different depending on many variables.

Jul 23 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Billy Pegram

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hi Doug

After reading your thread...here is my two cents worth.  You have a good control of light...which is a must...and you have some ok/pretty models.  Where I think you need to look at your work is from a different perspective.  Your style  shows the model maybe a little about their personality but it is about her.  That comes across a portrait not at the next level which is were I think you want to go.  Trying shooting with a special point of reference...cool photo techinque...a unique message etc.  If you look at the really great photographers on this site you will see that the model is an accessory to the message... or the clothing or the photo technique.  I think you will like you work much more by stepping back and asking "what am I showing to the viewer" in each photo...

Billy

Jul 23 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

John Ricard photography

New York, New York, US

Photoman754 wrote:
Where do I learn what makes a good model photo?

One technique you may want to try is to copy the work of photographers you like.  Try to imitate their shots in terms of lighting, composition, framing, posing, etc.

I know that's going to send out red flags from some of the photographer's here but I'm not talking about copy photographs to make money. I'm talking about copying photographs to get a feeling for what makes a good image.

It's the same thing the Beatles and the Rolling Stones did when they first started.  They played OTHER bands' songs note for note.  Eventually they developed their own (very) unique sound.  You will too.

Jul 23 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photoman754 wrote:
Some say my photos are great others say they are average and a couple say they suck. I'm beginning to think maybe they aren't all the great after all. Maybe it is because I look at them so long.

That happens to all of us. It's a professional hazard.

Where do I learn what makes a good model photo? I see some on here that are supposed to be my high paid photographgers that have women supposedly flocking to them for photos and shell out big $$$$. But when I look at their ports I'm thinking.....well I guess I just don't get what's all that different about them.

There are two basic parts to being able to produce a good photograph. My approach to this is a little different than some people's idea of the basic elements of being a good photographer. ("There are two kinds of people in the world... those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don't.")

1) Did the photograph turn out the way you wanted it to?

2) Is what you wanted to accomplish worth accomplishing?

The first part sounds subjective, but isn't. The second part sounds objective, but isn't. Under this way of thinking, a Henri Cartier-Bresson or a Bruno Bernard might be no better, and no worse, than a Terry Richardson.

First, can you make the camera do what you want? I mean really do what you want, as in, shadows here, highlights there, depth of field controlled and focal plane on target, no more and no less noise than you desire, frame and perspective arranged with control and not subject to random compositional elements? If you can, then the answer to #1 will be, "Yes." If not, it will be, "Sometimes." Example:

https://www.datahero.com/stmarc/modelprv/zombiemadness/images/1845_binding_bw.jpg

This is part of a series of photographs of a horror concept. The lighting is extremely flat, the shadows are extremely harsh, and it's not that sharp. The blacks are lost. However, it's exactly what I wanted to produce. I knew what I'd get when I pressed the shutter and I was right. Therefore, under the first part of the test, this is a good photograph. It's a totally objective test and one which is easy to apply if you are willing to be honest. (Let's be truthful, we've all gotten pictures out of a camera which we were stunned to get, and which are *not* exactly what we were aiming for. Those ones don't count.)

Now, the question of whether what I wanted was worth having now arises. (The eternal question, generally speaking.) The picture, as I said, has extremely flat lighting, harsh shadows, and the tonality range isn't great. It's not as sharp as it might be and it's somewhat noisy. Technically, some people would say it was inadequate.

But it's a picture of a vampire subjugating a zombie in an abandoned basement. (If you don't care for such things in the first place, the question of its worth becomes *very* easy to answer, I readily admit.) To my way of thinking, the listed "flaws" enhance the esthetic vision of the picture. It's a harsh picture of a tragic and evil subject. There is no right answer to this part of the question, only individual ones. *That* fact is what can make a Terry Richardson a world-famous photographer. (I don't care for him myself but he is far more successful than I will ever be: you can't argue with success when it comes to subjective analysis.)

I myself often have the same reaction you do to seeing images by big-name photographers: "What's the big deal?" In my case, arrogant as it may sound, it's often more like, "That picture is not good enough to be on the cover of that magazine." That's because the editors or whoever are applying the second part of the equation: they have a personal vision that the picture needs to fit into. To *them,* that's a cover picture even though technically, it has serious problems. I don't really have an answer for you, it beats the Hell out of me as well. But you're not alone, if that's any help.

M

Jul 23 06 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=43601
http://www.musecube.com/AnthonyCramer/

I think the problem with all of your pictures is their predictability. Same pose, same look and same feel. It is probably the single most common fault of the photographers on MM. If you view the two examples Leonard gave you, your problem area screams at you... HEY YOU!!! TAKE A CHANCE AND DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT WITH THE MODEL!!!  We all suffer from this to a certain degree and I'm sure the referenced photographers would be the first to admit they run into the problem themselves. You have a handle on light and exposure and all that good stuff, it's time to move on and grow a little. Take some chances, it's only fil.... pixels.

Jul 23 06 10:19 am Link