Forums > General Industry > Magazine submissions

Model

Adrienne Nixon

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Can anyone explain the magazine submission process to me? I'd like to submit photos to a few magazines by summer's end, and would like to know more about what that actually entails. Thanks!

Jul 22 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

It's really different from magazine to magazine.  Most titles have very specific requirements as how they take submissions and your best bet is to figure out the titles you're interested in, take a look at their websites, and just follow the instructions to the letter.

As a magazine editor myself, the one piece of advice I can offer is if the title you're interested in allows you to send actual prints, then fork over the money and do it.  I get so many e-mails and letters per day that if I have to pop in a CD or open an e-mail attachment I typically don't bother.  I know that sounds terrible but its simply a time issue and I've spoken with several other photo editors who do the same thing.

On the other hand, if I get a letter, open it up, and there are actual printed photos staring right back at me I'm far more likely to give it a serious look.  A lot of photographers have printed catalouges of their work made up which is very useful and I not only look at those very carefully but tend to keep them on file a lot longer too.

Jul 22 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Azlana Dark wrote:
Can anyone explain the magazine submission process to me? I'd like to submit photos to a few magazines by summer's end, and would like to know more about what that actually entails. Thanks!

AS A PHOTOGRAPHER...
The first rule is to find the PRECISE need and fill it... with ONLY CAREFULLY SELECTED and SPECIFICALLY TARGETED publications.

Submitting material on spec [often that is viewed as merely random unsolicited submissions by photo editors - and just as quickly thrown in the trash] won't cut it... just as Andrew says...

Andrew Kaiser wrote:
I get so many e-mails and letters per day that if I have to pop in a CD or open an e-mail attachment I typically don't bother.  I know that sounds terrible but its simply a time issue and I've spoken with several other photo editors who do the same thing.

Dealing with editors on that basis is akin to trying to teach a pig to sing: you waste your time; and only succeed in irritating the pig.

When you consider a submission it is not something that YOU think should be published but what the publication wants... indeed you have to make them think that they can't do without it.

One of the places to start is with:
2005 Photographers Market (Photographer's Market) (Paperback)

and also

The Photographer's Market Guide to Photo Submission and Portfolio Formats (Paperback) 

Those two pubs will also help a model target their efforts. I find it of interest, though, that your profile also says that you are an actress and model but NOT a photographer. THAT is going to be a problem if you are talking about submissions of photographs for publication [if you don't legally control the rights] rather than submitting to solicit modelling work.

The last advice is that whatever you send, prints or CD/DVD, don't plan on getting it back. That is the cost to you of doing the business.

Studio36

Jul 22 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Scott O Bryan Photo

Annapolis, Maryland, US

As a magazine editor myself, the one piece of advice I can offer is if the title you're interested in allows you to send actual prints, then fork over the money and do it.  I get so many e-mails and letters per day that if I have to pop in a CD or open an e-mail attachment I typically don't bother.  I know that sounds terrible but its simply a time issue and I've spoken with several other photo editors who do the same thing.

On the other hand, if I get a letter, open it up, and there are actual printed photos staring right back at me I'm far more likely to give it a serious look.  A lot of photographers have printed catalouges of their work made up which is very useful and I not only look at those very carefully but tend to keep them on file a lot longer too.

Andrew
    Reading this post makes glad I sent in prints to Playboy instead of emailing them. A couple bartender friends of mine just submitted pics for the 2006 sexist bartender contest so we will see what happens smile

Jul 22 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The first thing to do is figure out which magazines accept models nationally.  Most do not.  Playboy or Maxim will accept truly exceptional models wherever they are; but for the most part, you need to be submitting to magazines near you.

It also helps to understand where the models for the magazines come from.  Vogue will take models from anywhere in the world - but they do it almost exclusively through agencies (or, much less frequently, from recommendations from photographers or designers that they work with).  Sending such magazines pictures is not likely to be successful.

Jul 22 06 02:29 pm Link