Forums > General Industry > I understand the value of inkjets!

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I just lost a hard drive with about 5 years of experimental imagery on it. Most of the images were junk and won't be missed. Probably the reason they weren't back up. However, there were a few images I will truly miss and regret having not backed them up. I did make a final display inkjet print of one of the images. I now value it more than any other print I have made and as much as the prints I have received as gifts or purchased for my collection. So now the debate revolving around digital versus analog and wet process versus inkjet is over for me. I know the true value is in the picture you can hold in your hand or mount on a wall. When faced with the loss I suffered, source is a non issue. I still have my beautiful print.

Jul 22 06 08:26 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I want it.

Jul 22 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lapis wrote:
I want it.

I know!

Jul 22 06 08:44 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yes, I need to get some prints of my work. I am sadly very behind on this, and it is a serious issue. You, however, actually have a very nice top of the line inkjet. Maybe we will have to work "time for helping me print stuff on your inkjet....."

Jul 22 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lapis wrote:
Yes, I need to get some prints of my work. I am sadly very behind on this, and it is a serious issue. You, however, actually have a very nice top of the line inkjet. Maybe we will have to work "time for helping me print stuff on your inkjet....."

As long as I don't have to write a check or send a 1099 I'm all over it.

Jul 22 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

As long as I don't have to write a check or send a 1099 I'm all over it.

You guys are up early, lol!

Rich

Jul 22 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

I just lost a hard drive with about 5 years of experimental imagery on it. Most of the images were junk and won't be missed. Probably the reason they weren't back up. However, there were a few images I will truly miss and regret having not backed them up. I did make a final display inkjet print of one of the images. I now value it more than any other print I have made and as much as the prints I have received as gifts or purchased for my collection. So now the debate revolving around digital versus analog and wet process versus inkjet is over for me. I know the true value is in the picture you can hold in your hand or mount on a wall. When faced with the loss I suffered, source is a non issue. I still have my beautiful print.

This is good inspiration fro me to get off my lazy ass and print my stuff...
Sorry for the loss though, I've been there...

Jul 22 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lapis wrote:

Will I finally see you today??
I hope so!  wink

Jul 22 06 09:31 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Unfortunately no, but I am sure that working with Bob will prove very inspiring for you. I am having someone rent out my place as a studio and I am going to be providing MUA and wardrobe styling services as well. I may even be able to snap a few pics if I am lucky.

Jul 22 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Moskop

Chicago, Illinois, US

How exactly is the hard drive "lost?"  I have managed to recover data from several drives over the years that sure seemed at first to be dead.

Jul 22 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

J Bennett Photography

Paramus, New Jersey, US

What about your hard drive?  what happened to it?  is it still spinning?  Ive been able to recover data from a poooched system drive by setting it up as a slave and copying the data off from it.

This is also a good time to consider some good scheduled backup software. 
Im using acronis true image home.

Jul 22 06 10:27 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think he was told it would cost around 40G to recover the work, so since it is personal stuff and not commercial stuff, he does not have the ability to access it now. But that is only what I gathered from him.

Jul 22 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

The drive is a LaCie 500GB big drive. It has 2 250MB drives inside that are striped into one partition. One went down losing all info. Lapis is correct on one quote I received to retrieve the info on it. Most of the other quotes ranged from $10K to $20K. It's simply not worth it, The last place I sent it to for a quote hasn't returned my calls. I fear it's gone forever. Say LaCie!

Jul 22 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

There are some places with 750 flat fees. I'll try and recall the links tomorrow.

Jul 23 06 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

this should really be 'the value of backups', lol.

I never understood why people dont print their stuff. Web display is such crap compared to a print, especially larger ones mounted and framed. I never meet clients without a printed book, as that is where the real quality of my work (and my lab, lol) shines.

in the rare occurance that I do TFP, I always offer prints. Then again, I own a piece of a lab that prints up to 30 inch wide paper (not inkjet), on a wide variety of photographic paper, so its easier for me, and of course cheaper that most others.

I encourage all of you to print, mat and frame. Get your pride on your walls and share with your friends. I've been thinking of offering special 'mm pricing' to people here, although that might come with the 'pain in the ass' price tag. lol

best,
Stu

Jul 23 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

One serious caveat -- a couple years ago, I updated my portfolio -- printed about 100 11x14 prints. I took them to an interview on the opposite coast, and just stuck the box of prints in the overhead compartment on the plane.

When I got home, the prints were covered with little tiny spots where the ink had been worn off by the airplane's vibrating dust between the prints. The prints were trash.

This never would have happened with conventional photo prints.

Ink jet prints that don't have a protective coating sprayed on either by the printer or by you after printing, are extremely fragile compared to traditional photo prints. Hopefully you and those reading this won't learn this the hard way, like I did.

Regards,
Paul

Jul 23 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

C'mon, get with the program!!!

The 'champagne and caviar' photographers would NEVER refer to an inkjet print!   Refer to it as a Giclee!!!

Sheesh!

Jul 23 06 10:36 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

megafunk wrote:
There are some places with 750 flat fees. I'll try and recall the links tomorrow.

I have heard that price.
Also quoted 10 dollers per Gig for a 80 gig drive making it $800.
As far as I know recovery can be done to retrieve most things,  not so much or everything which can cost a large amount.

Go with the flat fee and recover what you can.

10k to 40k sounds like someone who will make sure even the most damaged sections are recovered.

Jul 23 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

MHana wrote:

I have heard that price.
Also quoted 10 dollers per Gig for a 80 gig drive making it $800.
As far as I know recovery can be done to retrieve most things,  not so much or everything which can cost a large amount.

Go with the flat fee and recover what you can.

10k to 40k sounds like someone who will make sure even the most damaged sections are recovered.

I told the guy at $40K that I was having surgery on my eyes and the total bill would be half of what he was quoting to retrieve data, he laughed and said that was understandable because retrieval is more like brain surgery.  sad

Jul 23 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
C'mon, get with the program!!!

The 'champagne and caviar' photographers would NEVER refer to an inkjet print!   Refer to it as a Giclee!!!

Sheesh!

LMFAO
careful you'll turn this thread into a "They're different...Really they are...DANG IT listen to me...someone once told me they are different and I believe 'em!!!"

pffft

Jul 23 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

http://www.ecodatarecovery.com/?gclid=C … GAod7CbgFw
http://www.gillware.com/
http://www.diskdoctors.com/?source=googleppc

Shoot> save to HD> burn to optical or other backup media> rest of your day continues.

Jul 23 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

megafunk wrote:
http://www.ecodatarecovery.com/?gclid=CMTl2IyikYUCFQE9GAod7CbgFw
http://www.gillware.com/
http://www.diskdoctors.com/?source=googleppc

Shoot> save to HD> burn to optical or other backup media> rest of your day continues.

Ditto above advice:

First thimg I do when I get home from a shoot is copy everything from the CF cards to the hard drive.  Second thing I do is burn a CD set or DVD of everything shot that day--good, bad or otherwise.  That becomes my archived set of digital negatives.  Only after the archive set is burned, do I start messing around with the images.

Oh yeah, verify that you can open the files on your archived CD before reformatting your CF cards.

Jul 23 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

HAte to be another "hindsight is 20-20" person, but NO BACK UPS??? Good grief, Mr. Randall! Are you insane?? Blank DVDs are dirt cheap, and hold 4.5-9 gigs each. You shoot, you come home, put the images on your hd, burn at least one dvd back up (and if I was a commercial photographer like you I'd burn three), verify them all and then reformat your card. I can't relax until I've done that.
Oh, and hard drives should NOT be expected to last 5 years. If you have an old one, make regular backups of the whole thing with dvds. This also keeps your old images being put on newer discs (since dvds don't last forever either). In this day and age, there's no excuse for losing more than one photoshoot to media failure.
Your tragedy isn't about digital vs film, though. If your negs were all in a safe that took water damage and ruined them, I would point out that digital "originals" can be replicated endlessly and kept in various locations, in a manner that film can't. (internegatives and prints are not originals, of course, and they're expensive to make)

Jul 23 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I know it would take a lot of time, but can't you just rescan the negs if your drive is truly dead?

Jul 23 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Miles Chandler wrote:
HAte to be another "hindsight is 20-20" person, but NO BACK UPS??? Good grief, Mr. Randall! Are you insane?? Blank DVDs are dirt cheap, and hold 4.5-9 gigs each. You shoot, you come home, put the images on your hd, burn at least one dvd back up (and if I was a commercial photographer like you I'd burn three), verify them all and then reformat your card. I can't relax until I've done that.
Oh, and hard drives should NOT be expected to last 5 years. If you have an old one, make regular backups of the whole thing with dvds. This also keeps your old images being put on newer discs (since dvds don't last forever either). In this day and age, there's no excuse for losing more than one photoshoot to media failure.
Your tragedy isn't about digital vs film, though. If your negs were all in a safe that took water damage and ruined them, I would point out that digital "originals" can be replicated endlessly and kept in various locations, in a manner that film can't. (internegatives and prints are not originals, of course, and they're expensive to make)

I generate about 30 to 75 GB of info a week depending on client load and type of work. DVD's take forever but I do back up client jobs and important info on a daily basis plus I have several LaCie 1TB raid 5 drives as a safety net while working live. The OP stated that most of what I lost was junk, however there were a few items I would liked to have saved. My comment for me puts an end to the arguement of the worth of an inkjet print. I will cherish the print I do have regardless of it's origin. Thats all I was trying to say.

Jul 23 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I generate about 30 to 75 GB of info a week depending on client load and type of work. DVD's take forever but I do back up client jobs and important info on a daily basis plus I have several LaCie 1TB raid 5 drives as a safety net while working live. The OP stated that most of what I lost was junk, however there were a few items I would liked to have saved. My comment for me puts an end to the arguement of the worth of an inkjet print. I will cherish the print I do have regardless of it's origin. Thats all I was trying to say.

Ah- sorry. I didn't realize when you said "most of the contents were junk' that it was a separate matter from your daily image archiving. Your system sounds great, actually!
I don't know how far you've gone towards inspecting that old hd for recoverability, but some cheap online programs can handle the easier caes, as others have said. You can d/l them online, let them search and show you a filelist of what they've found, and then decide to buy the software key so you can recover them. I once did this, went through several programs' free testing and finally found one that found my data (not pics). Much cheaper than $750, if it works (let alone $40K!)

Jul 23 06 09:10 pm Link