Forums > General Industry > when ppl request photos?

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Alright, I get a lot of requests from fans of my work if i take "commissions".  They will prepose a shoot idea or exact photo and ask me how much it would cost for this.

Does anyone get this? I shoot my own work most of the time so i do have the ability to take commissions--but i never know how to charge for this kind of thing.Suggestions would be appreciated!

Jul 21 06 11:02 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Kassandra wrote:
Alright, I get a lot of requests from fans of my work if i take "commissions".  They will prepose a shoot idea or exact photo and ask me how much it would cost for this.

Does anyone get this? I shoot my own work most of the time so i do have the ability to take commissions--but i never know how to charge for this kind of thing.Suggestions would be appreciated!

Wow!  You're so freakin' cool!
Okay.. I have no idea.  I say you should just make something up.  Whatever sounds like a good price to you is perfect.

Jul 21 06 11:38 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

Wow!  You're so freakin' cool!
Okay.. I have no idea.  I say you should just make something up.  Whatever sounds like a good price to you is perfect.

*cough* yeah i kind of do that now.. i was just looking for somethng to give me a general idea of whats a more normal pricing. I have a habbit of undercutting myself when it comes to prices(ie: with my commission art and my photo retouching) LoL

Jul 21 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Now you need to start your own agency and be the total all-in-one package!! Try setting an hourly estimate on your end - how long will the assignment take to complete? Take into account the intended use. Be fair to yourself on your rate, you are offering an exclusive after all. If you have to buy anything for the assignment (to model in), take a deposit first. If you get any takers, judge for your self if it is worth it to you. If you get no takers or only a very few, lower your price or move on.

Jul 21 06 11:54 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Michael Longeneker wrote:
Now you need to start your own agency and be the total all-in-one package!! Try setting an hourly estimate on your end - how long will the assignment take to complete? Take into account the intended use. Be fair to yourself on your rate, you are offering an exclusive after all. If you have to buy anything for the assignment (to model in), take a deposit first. If you get any takers, judge for your self if it is worth it to you. If you get no takers or only a very few, lower your price or move on.

Well i never advertised that i take photo commissions but WOOSH, they kind of pop up now and agian and i dont have a base price idea of how to move it on a scale.

So far i kinda think i take any costs (ie,like usiad,things u may need to buy) and when i think about the hourly rate n what not i still dont know a number to start fussing around with. 50, 15, etc

Jul 22 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Let's say you taking pictures of your self is worth $25 per hour and a shoot takes from start to finish 5 hours plus you bought some requested what-not like a lollipop. So, time to go buy it plus the price. $150-175 to shoot something. Is it worth it to you? I am pricing a bit low even though I think you are quite fabulous because you are not a polished professional yet. Now, if you started with that price and suddenly had more jobs than you can do, raise the price. If nobody throws down, I think I'd probably skip the whole deal rather than lower the price. You shoud make at least $25 an hour until the market proves otherwise. In other words, you may have to "give it away" a couple of times to get a feel for the market. Or, sell the photo project package on ebay! I love ebay and make lots of money. Then, the public gets to set your price and it might be much higher than you could hope.

Jul 22 06 01:03 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Michael Longeneker wrote:
Let's say you taking pictures of your self is worth $25 per hour and a shoot takes from start to finish 5 hours plus you bought some requested what-not like a lollipop. So, time to go buy it plus the price. $150-175 to shoot something. Is it worth it to you? I am pricing a bit low even though I think you are quite fabulous because you are not a polished professional yet. Now, if you started with that price and suddenly had more jobs than you can do, raise the price. If nobody throws down, I think I'd probably skip the whole deal rather than lower the price. You shoud make at least $25 an hour until the market proves otherwise. In other words, you may have to "give it away" a couple of times to get a feel for the market. Or, sell the photo project package on ebay! I love ebay and make lots of money. Then, the public gets to set your price and it might be much higher than you could hope.

0_0 wow i kind of..feel stupid. Iv been charging MUCH less then your example ! Although i have to say its a little comferting. I do try and keep in mind that models can overprice themselves, and sell themselves cheap. its a hard thing to find that happy world balance. *scritchs at head* i supose the fact im doing alllll of it for hte commissions i could probly charge a bit more than if i was just modeling. Ill have to give a try to the new price range

Jul 22 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Kassandra wrote:

This also depends on how perverted the customer is, and how deep his pockets are. Maybe he will pay more if you include a used piece of chewing gum in a zip lock bag taped to the back of the photo.

Jul 22 06 01:16 am Link