Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How you deal with clients who refuse to pay

Photographer

Frankphotogallery

New York, New York, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Tell them to cease and desist from using your images until they can pay you.

If they are using them in their catalog, then they must stop distributing them until you are paid.

Have a lawyer notify them . . . . don't contact them yourself anymore.

Sounds like they are moments away from going out of business . . . but that is no excuse for using your images without paying.

KM

Interesting.  I think the photographer or whoever holds the copyright would have to do this.  Even if that's the case, a letter from the MUA's lawyer might freak them out for a day or 2.  Worth it just to mess with them either way.  I also agree with the don't contact them yourself anymore.

Sep 02 10 12:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

I 100% agree with going the small claims court route .... also out of curiosity do you know if anyone else involved in the shoot got paid (photographer, model etc)?

Sep 02 10 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Wright Photography

Lawndale, California, US

That stinks.
On my contracts, I require a deposit to hold appointment, not refundable, and require payment before I shoot, the day of the session. Then I deliver the images after the check clears.
You as a makeup artist should require payment on day of session before you break out your brushes.

Sep 02 10 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Rob Wright Photography wrote:
That stinks.
On my contracts, I require a deposit to hold appointment, not refundable, and require payment before I shoot, the day of the session. Then I deliver the images after the check clears.
You as a makeup artist should require payment on day of session before you break out your brushes.

And how does that work for editorial shooting? The standard in the industry is payment 30-90 days AFTER publication.

Sep 02 10 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I was going to suggest kicking someone's ass, but I like the barter system as suggested by someone earlier.

Pick some very basic designs, and use them to get some promotional work shot...

Once you get the shots that you need, SELL THEM.

Sep 02 10 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Wright Photography

Lawndale, California, US

My contract with product and editorial shooting strictly states that if payment is not made, within whatever time frame that is agreed upon and is in writing in the contract, that 35% will be added to the payment for each week it is not received. If it is more than 2 weeks after the agreed upon date, court.

Sep 02 10 06:59 pm Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes, I completely agree with all of this.

Send them an email simply stating that you will pursue legal action if you are not paid the remaining amount by next week. also mention that you will take failure to respond as noncompliance and will be submitted to your attorney. (in case they try to ignore you)

Works everytime.

Jordan Liberty wrote:
+1

You provided services and you need to be paid for them. Demand payment or threaten taking legal action. If they didn't have the money, they shouldn't have hired you. They're basically stealing from you. Don't be nice, but don't be mean. Be FIRM and assertive.

Sep 02 10 07:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Callaway Beauty

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I always like to ask for half up front and do a contract!!!!!!Agree to getting paid the other half on the day of the services. No makeup touches faces until I get paid!! I have been thru a similar situation in the past! Its not fun and I know how terrible you feel. Sometimes I felt like I didnt want to sound money hungry but after getting burnt, it made me realize that its simply business. That means business first!  People will try to take your kindness for your weakness but you have to have that backbone and take a stand!!!   

It sounds like you need an attorney, smallclaimscourt, or the dresses like the other folk on this thread suggested!!!

Hope it all works out for ya!

~SMOOCHES~

Sep 02 10 10:15 pm Link