Forums > General Industry > What does non-professional candid photo mean?

Model

Isabelle Du

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi everyone,

I'm new to modeling and as of right now, I'm trying to build up my portfolio to the point where I'm confident it's enough to submit to agencies.  I'm looking around and I understand that agencies typically ask for non-professional candid photos or take polaroid shots of you.  For example, below is an excerpt from one of the agencies' websites:

"Please include three to four non-professional candid photos. Pictures will not be returned. Photographs must include a close up, clear head shot, profile shot, and full body."

Does "candid" mean I'm not wearing any make-up and my hair is down?  I'm sorry if I'm clueless as to what it means but I just had to ask.  Thanks!

Jul 21 06 11:02 am Link

Model

Meghan Mayhem

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Candid means something that's not posed and professional, as in something from a photoshoot....it means more like a casual photo of you hanging out or whatnot....the kind of photo a friend would take as opposed to a photographer.

Jul 21 06 11:07 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

yes, they prefer no make-up. your hair should probably be up in the head shot so that they can clearly see your features. polaroids are best because they know nothing has been photoshopped.

Jul 21 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

No strobes, no hair and make-up artists.  Just a shot of candid everyday shot of you looking like you normally do.  This way photographers, potential clients and MUA can get an idea of what you really look like and what they will be working with....acne, skin tone. hair type, true un-edited eye-color....etc.

Example:  My wife sitting at the counter waiting for our espressos in Sao Paulo Brazil.

https://i.pbase.com/o4/55/589755/1/61358015.AnaPortrait1.jpg

Jul 21 06 01:15 pm Link

Model

Isabelle Du

Los Angeles, California, US

Thank you!  You guys have been more than helpful!

Jul 21 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Isabelle Barrett wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to modeling and as of right now, I'm trying to build up my portfolio to the point where I'm confident it's enough to submit to agencies.  I'm looking around and I understand that agencies typically ask for non-professional candid photos or take polaroid shots of you.  For example, below is an excerpt from one of the agencies' websites:

"Please include three to four non-professional candid photos. Pictures will not be returned. Photographs must include a close up, clear head shot, profile shot, and full body."

Does "candid" mean I'm not wearing any make-up and my hair is down?  I'm sorry if I'm clueless as to what it means but I just had to ask.  Thanks!

Yeah they wanna see yoru raw potential

Plus soem agencies dont want to see pro photos as they have their vision for you adn  wanna send you to "their "photogprahers - ( for which sometimes is part of the whole $game )

Jul 22 06 08:02 am Link