Forums > General Industry > Do do have to be an exhibitionist?

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Does a model have to be an exhibitionist to produce good glamour/fetish/art work?  Or perhaps a better question is whether being an exhibitionist makes a model better at glamour/fetish/art work.

[edit}  Title was supposed to be "Do YOU have to be..."

Jul 21 06 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

No the Photographer has to be an Artist & creative!

Jul 21 06 08:39 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am an exhibitionist and I think it helps me...but I don't know if it's necessary for others.  Maybe being a good actress is more important.  Not that I would discourage anyone from exhibitionism...it's fun:-P

Jul 21 06 09:15 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Exhibitionist is defined as "The act or practice of deliberately behaving so as to attract attention."

So I would say yes, it helps a LOT. Models won't do very well if they don't want attention.

Jul 21 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

JaxDigitalPhotographer

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I definitely think it helps. The model has to be outgoing and very expressive. Of course, it takes TEAM WORK to create a really impressive photo so without both halfs working together it just doesn't happen.

Jul 21 06 09:25 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

personally, i think some of the best shots come from mellow, personal photoshoots where the photographer is also a friend. in that case, it is not necessary that the model be an exhibitionist.
i think the most important thing in a model is an ability to emote.
not to say that exhibitionism is a bad thing, or something that is not helpful....it tends to be linked to self confidence which is a must.

Jul 21 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

Feline Infektious

But I think you'll find a lot of exhibitionist only seek attention because they're insecure about themselves, so in a way it might not help at all.
You just have to feel comfortable with yourself, have fun. I don't think a naked body is anything to feel ashamed of so I don't understand why some people have to be such prudes when it comes to nudity!

I guess i'm saying, no - you don't have to be an exhibitionist!

Feline x

Jul 21 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Hey, these are some interesting and thoughtful responses.  Sounds like a pretty convincing case can be made for and against.

Jul 21 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

ATLFigures

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Exibitionism is a wonderful trait, but I'd prefer to shoot with a great actress.

Jul 21 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

No, but it can help. The vast majority of the ladies with whom I shoot nude art are not models, most have never been photogrphed before, nude or otherwise. With that said, some of my best shoots have been with natural exhibitionists, that can make it easier, but other excellent shoots have been with ladies who are  naturally shy. A couple have said that no one other than her mother, her husband and her MD had ever seen her naked, but they posed like a pro.  Maybe it's easier for natural exhibitionists, but given a bit of trust and and willingness and even the most shy can be an excellent nude model. I'll leave the fetish discussion to others, but I expect the same is true.

Jul 21 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

I haven't worked with a thousand models or any where close to hundreds, but I think from when I was acting and now working with models you have to be some what extraverted and a slight bit of an exhibitionist to be able to do anything along this line.

If your subject isn't able to feel comfortable with themselves, no matter how good you are as a photographer you're not going to be able to get them to follow your instructions of directions fully.

Jul 22 06 11:28 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

My personal experience is that it isn't necessary, although I know some fantastic models who are.  For me, each shoot is an intensely personal experience.  Something honest and intimate and real happens between me and the photographer and the camera.  Perhaps that is just because it is so unusual for someone who looks like I do to disrobe in this public way.  I don't know.  But it's a special thing, and I don't do it lightly.  I'm definitely not an exhibitionist.  I get naked for a purpose.

Jul 22 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Chris Schumacher

Rockville, Maryland, US

My most honest answer to this question would have to be a resounding NO. The one thing that contributes most to a shoot is the model's comfort level. The most important thing for me is for my models to be comfortable in their own skin, to be comfortable with their body. Does this make one an exhibitionist? Certainly not. Does being an exhibitionist help nude/fetish models? Sure it does. It certainly can't hurt.
There's also the consideration of what kind of emotion you are trying to portray with your images. I have found that some of the models I shoot that have a strong exhibitionist streak aren't as useful for shoots where my intent is to portray a more intimate, private mood/feel. This isn't always the case, but it has been my experience thus far.

Jul 22 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

nope..not at all..some of my best nude and glamour models are very modest (but very comfortable with me)...at the end of the day..the images are a reflection of my work..not who is posing for me..

Jul 22 06 11:46 am Link

Model

Sunni

Temecula, California, US

You don't have to be, but it certainly does help. It brings out the best in my work and makes me more confortable!!

Jul 22 06 11:54 am Link