Forums > General Industry > weird question....

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

O.k. - so, I'm painting the new studio and I'm stuck on a color for the bathroom -  it's mid sized and has a large window (so, combination window light and florescent.)  I will eventually add lights around the mirror for additional brightness...

My question - to models, photographers and makeup artists - what would be a good color?  I'd like something that won't affect how you look in the mirror in a negative way (color cast) but I want something nice (not just plain white or cream)

any thoughts?

Julia

Jul 21 06 05:41 am Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

Electric green? big_smile

Jul 21 06 05:44 am Link

Model

Bunnie Page

Dallas, Texas, US

Ah... my first photoshoot the photographer had the most beautiful red bathroom. And then I accidentally dropped her flowers into the toilet and it all went down hill... True story.

But I love vibrant red walls, although electric green sounds good, too.

Jul 21 06 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

Carmilla wrote:

: )   I was torn between that and the mustard yellow...

seriously!  : )   it's a totally stupid question and I'm totally buggin' about it...

Jul 21 06 05:47 am Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

Hmm, well I think that anything besides that boring cream or "off-white" colour would be fantastic. Hell, paint it black and write all over it with silver sharpie. Go nuts!

Jul 21 06 05:51 am Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

You should probably mention what colour you're planning on painting the rest of the studio. Perhaps the bathroom should be that same colour...?

Jul 21 06 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

the studio is white walls, gray floors and tan curtains - so, kind of an elegant natural thing going on....

my concern for the bathroom, because i would love to go with a bold plum color or a really rich blue/green is that if people apply makeup in there, it will be really hard to get a good idea of what they look like...

Jul 21 06 05:55 am Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

What do you mean that it would be hard to get a good idea of what they look like? In the bathroom? Or do you mean that they might look weird when they came out of the bathroom and into the more natural-themed studio?

Confused hmm

I think you should go with a bold colour for the bathroom. Go with your plum idea or perhaps the deep blue or green. I think it would be a nice change when you have to pee to do it in a colourful environment.

Jul 21 06 05:59 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

i think a soft green would be beautiful. think spring leaves.....

Jul 21 06 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

hmmm.. 

maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way but have you ever noticed that sometimes you look different in different bathrooms? I thought this was a combination of the color of the bathroom creating a color cast on the face and the lighting throwing it off as well...so, like, if  you have a bathroom that's really green, you're face would have a green cast to it and it would be difficult to apply makeup correctly...

??  man, maybe I'm way off on that...

Jul 21 06 06:03 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

You all really need to lay off the sauce (just kidding)!

You want it neutral, you want lots of light for whomever may be working in there - WHITE.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jul 21 06 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

JAY carreon wrote:
You all really need to lay off the sauce (just kidding)!

You want it neutral, you want lots of light for whomever may be working in there - WHITE.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

oh, man.....  I knew someone would say that...  I know...  neutral would be best but it will be soooo boring.... bleh...  I'll go with the cream and maybe add some texture to it...

Jul 21 06 06:06 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

U are spot on HUNi

the best might be a neutral WARM cream, to beige

add accessories inc flowers or ART for colour-
not reflected directly into the mirror

ps
white is too stark, go nearer skin tones

Jul 22 06 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

r u using the bathroom to photograph in as well as it's usual functions? if so, that would define what colors I choose. If not, go hogwild. Better yet, have an airbrush artist come in and do murals on all the walls.

and paint the toilet !

Jul 22 06 07:25 am Link

Photographer

ATLFigures

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

You are right. Whatever color you choose will create a slight color cast and could potentially effect the way someone applies makeup. White may be boring but I think it's the best choice if you're concerned with the best lighting to apply makeup by.

Jul 22 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Carmilla wrote:

My thoughts before i saw this, but do it with a faugh wash to make it look old.

Jul 22 06 12:14 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

I just did my own bathroon last week, and did it in white and black tiles, it look amazing! I have a pretty big window at the end of it, so it has lots of light. But the combo if white and black looks soooo good! Wich I could have done one more! smile

Good luck!

Jul 22 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Julia Gerace wrote:
O.k. - so, I'm painting the new studio and I'm stuck on a color for the bathroom -  it's mid sized and has a large window (so, combination window light and florescent.)  I will eventually add lights around the mirror for additional brightness...

My question - to models, photographers and makeup artists - what would be a good color?  I'd like something that won't affect how you look in the mirror in a negative way (color cast) but I want something nice (not just plain white or cream)

any thoughts?

Julia

hi, here's a link to color blender, it's self explanitory once you get there..

http://colorblender.com/

i lived in ct from 52 to 69, has it changed? i lived in west hartford and bridgewater primarily

Jul 22 06 12:21 pm Link