Forums > General Industry > how many pictures should I take to an agency?

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

I am putting together my portfolio to take to agencies to try and get signed. I would also like to have a tangible one for when I meet with designers. I am wondering how many you need to show you have diversity and how many is too many to the point that it might bore them. Any advice will help. any suggestions on my current port will also help.

Jul 20 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Only present to them your best work. Currently, my book has 16 photos but I may cut a few and drop down to 12 or 10 to make the body of work stronger.

People typically drop off comp cards to agencies (which have 2 or more images) in addition to showing their book. I figure if 4 or 5 images on the card or even a single polaroid is good enough to get signed, bring only the best!

Jul 20 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

HEF Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

12......if you haven't sold them by the first 12, 12 more won't help.....

Jul 20 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Only show WOW! images.  No fillers.  There is no quota.

Jul 20 06 05:20 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Daguerre wrote:
Only show WOW! images.  No fillers.  There is no quota.

Can you have more than one image from the same look, or should each shot be completely different?

Jul 20 06 05:24 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

Can you have more than one image from the same look, or should each shot be completely different?

I'm wondering the same thing. how different should they all be? if there are two different looks in the same outfit should I only bring one? because a lot of the pictures I like are groups from one photoshoot that just worked really well. should the pose, facial expression, and outfit all be different? or is just one variation sufficient?

Jul 20 06 05:30 pm Link

Model

Krysta Gabrielle

Hilo, Hawaii, US

little apple blossom wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing. how different should they all be? if there are two different looks in the same outfit should I only bring one? because a lot of the pictures I like are groups from one photoshoot that just worked really well. should the pose, facial expression, and outfit all be different? or is just one variation sufficient?

You definitely don't want to waste time with pictures that are the same. If they are WOW! then you only need one of that style. You want to show as much diversity and not bore... One variation is definitely not enough. Agencies want to see that you are versatile! As many different 'WOW AND AMAZE' shots you can get, with different poses, the better. It sounds really stupid, but you want to stand in front of a mirror and practice as many poses and expressions as possible. Once you know what angles look good for your face, and how to excentuate and hide certain things, you're set. Definitely don't want to repeat anything though, because keep in mind that these people are visually stimulated and see MANY MANY ports and models. They bore easy!

Jul 20 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Pick the ABSOLUTE BEST from the shoot. I try not to use the same girl more than once in my portfolio but if she has to make more than 1 appearance, it is a completely different look. Different hair, different makeup, different outfit, different location, different lighting etc.

For models, I like to see diversity in her book. Images by the same photog are OK, as long as it doesn't appear as if they were all done on the same day (similar lighting, background, etc.)

Once she starts posting 2 or 3 of the same outfit, it looks like she's digging and just trying to add filler. I rather see 1 WOW image, than 3 mediocre.

Jul 20 06 05:48 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

on that note can you help me pick which of my four very similar ones on my port to put in, if any. I like them but I always like the one's other people hate and hate the one's other people love so I don't know!

Jul 20 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Jackson

Hillsboro, Illinois, US

A good talent agent will be able to tell in 5 images.  If they ask for more, then they are curious and think you have some potential.  Show 5, have another 5-7 in the bag.

Jul 20 06 06:00 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

That's hard for me because everyone has such different tastes and with only five images I may not touch on their taste, is this a wrong way of thinking?

Jul 20 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

You should just walk in with no pictures and a bag over your head and loudly state: "Listen up people, you gotta risk in order gain...right?! Roll the dice here...who wants some!!?...Where do I sign?!.." And then flail your arms around holding a pen making sure to jab it into your fellow models wide open disbelieving eyes, ending there careers forever and lessoning the competition!

Bingo!

Jul 20 06 06:05 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I am interested to know which agencies in Oregon sign models who are 5'3"?  I was under the impression that even for commercial work there are certain height standards.  Is that not correct? 

I'm an art model.  This all confuses me.  smile

Jul 20 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

Shyly wrote:
I am interested to know which agencies in Oregon sign models who are 5'3"?  I was under the impression that even for commercial work there are certain height standards.  Is that not correct? 

I'm an art model.  This all confuses me.  smile

Yeah, commercial is generally at least 5'6" and fashion 5'8"-5'9" minimum. Or so i've heard. But were talking about Oregon here....sooo.......

Jul 20 06 06:07 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Some of my friends are signed locally, only one is tall but she is with the only really good agency here, mode, however she said that very rarely they will take someone who is shorter if they like their port.

Jul 20 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

I know there's been more threads on this, and I tried the "search" function for "portfolio photos", "picture choices" and more than I could think of, but no go. Scrolling back, these were the only two I could find. There was a great one on choosing photos and the type of photos. Can't find them.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=61638
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=56731

If I run across them I'll repost.

Generally 5-15 max. Looking at your new stuff, the expressions are very much the same on most of them. The Portland market isn't that great. Seattle is better, but you might not fit up there - it's more fashion.

Jul 20 06 06:25 pm Link