Forums > General Industry > I am a Whore

Model

Nola Neko

Webb City, Missouri, US

Yep.. That is what I got called because I started responding to the myspace people who OBVIOUSLY ripped off models or photographers work and used it in a slanderous nature. And they message me back telling me to f*** off and they are going to block me and I am a whore.. and there was a Ring reference.. whatever, I am an alternative model.. you think that is going to hurt me.. SO I can only speculate that it is a group of people doing it and they are all pricks and I have started Reporting Inappropriate Content to MySpace on these profiles because that Customer Service team at least looks at what I have to say first.

So, if there is something going on..just report it to those people. The link is at the bottom of the page.. and if it is ModelMayhem photographers and models doing it, then to you people..you are a disgrace to this art and really should be shot, but that is just this girls opinion.

To everyone else. I love you and have a great day!

Jul 19 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

Are you saying that they are using the pictures here for their profile?

Jul 19 06 09:15 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

me too! Oh, no, that was 10 years ago...nevermind. (how could I NOT respond to this thread title....)

When people call you a whore, just say, "at least I'm not a slut....I get paid for it, I don't give it away"

Jul 19 06 09:17 am Link

Model

Nola Neko

Webb City, Missouri, US

Bryan Patrick Coleman wrote:
Are you saying that they are using the pictures here for their profile?

Yes sir. They take them from this site and put in in myspace, alter them a bit or what not.. prime example.. and I wish the model would contact m ebecause i cant find her forum post, but this is one that they did with her images

www.myspace.com/mrcharity

Some prick made the whole thing up to slander this poor girl, and all the images are the images that were on her port here.

Jul 19 06 09:18 am Link

Model

Nola Neko

Webb City, Missouri, US

Lapis wrote:
me too! Oh, no, that was 10 years ago...nevermind. (how could I NOT respond to this thread title....)

When people call you a whore, just say, "at least I'm not a slut....I get paid for it, I don't give it away"

lol.. if that is the worst thing someone calls me today..it is a good day! Hooray for living in the Bible belt.

Jul 19 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Damn.. Not where I thought this thread was going at all.. And here I was going to offer $40 for you to do something really kinky....

....like clean my apartment.

I believe it's against the rules to post MM profiles in a forum post...  But, if someone is stealing people's pictures and claiming them as their own on another site, I've never seen anyone repremanded for posting links to that..

Jul 19 06 09:20 am Link

Model

Nola Neko

Webb City, Missouri, US

Well the truth needs to get out there.. and the people doing it need to know that it is uncalled for and they WILL be found out and it WILL be stopped. It is crap.

Jul 19 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Cosette wrote:
I am a whore

So who isn't?

Jul 19 06 09:25 am Link

Model

Nola Neko

Webb City, Missouri, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

So who isn't?

I wasn't too terribly worried about being called a whore. I just knew it would grab people's attention and make them cognizant of a real problem that photographers and models alike need to be aware of.

Jul 19 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

Cosette wrote:
Yes sir. They take them from this site and put in in myspace, alter them a bit or what not.. prime example.. and I wish the model would contact m ebecause i cant find her forum post, but this is one that they did with her images

www.myspace.com/mrcharity

Some prick made the whole thing up to slander this poor girl, and all the images are the images that were on her port here.

That is pretty crappy.  Reporting the profile to myspace would be a good place to start.  Presumably the images they "borrowed" are copy protected.

This is just a smaller subset of the problem of people using images they find on the net for personal/commercial use with out first gaining the authority to do so.

I see many images from deviantart used in myspace pages as well.

Jul 19 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Cosette wrote:
Yep.. That is what I got called because I started responding to the myspace people who OBVIOUSLY ripped off models or photographers work and used it in a slanderous nature. And they message me back telling me to f*** off and they are going to block me and I am a whore.. and there was a Ring reference.. whatever, I am an alternative model.. you think that is going to hurt me.. SO I can only speculate that it is a group of people doing it and they are all pricks and I have started Reporting Inappropriate Content to MySpace on these profiles because that Customer Service team at least looks at what I have to say first.

So, if there is something going on..just report it to those people. The link is at the bottom of the page.. and if it is ModelMayhem photographers and models doing it, then to you people..you are a disgrace to this art and really should be shot, but that is just this girls opinion.

To everyone else. I love you and have a great day!

And they are scum****!!!!

Jul 19 06 09:42 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I know of a few cases where people have done themes and ideas that I came up with originally, but I am not really an internet cruiser, so I have never seen nor heard of people stealing my images. However, the nice thing about mm is that one time someone did find an image I had downloaded myself, and they weren't sure, they contacted me. And THIS is the reason we have to put stupid huge ugly copyright things pasted on our images.

Jul 19 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Lapis wrote:

Excuse me?

Everyone knows that, "Whores do it for money. Sluts do it for fun." (Does this mean TFP-hobbist-models are sluts and paid-professional-models are whores?)

Anyway, I digress.

My point is to quote Henry Rollins that, "Drugs, sex and office supplies should NEVER be paid for."

Jul 19 06 10:14 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

E|||B wrote:
My point is to quote Henry Rollins that, "Drugs, sex and office supplies should NEVER be paid for."

I'd be a slut for Henry.  He's dreaaaaaamy.

Jul 19 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Hinterland

Washington, District of Columbia, US

An easy way to stop it is to put a faint copyright notice across the middle of your images. Not blatant enough to ruin the shot, but visible enough that they would have to chop out the center of the pic to get rid of it or spend a lot of time with the clone / stamp tool. Most people who are lame enough to take peoples work are too lazy to put that much effort in (which is why they can't create anything themselves) ...

Jul 19 06 10:23 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

So... you're upset that you confronted an infringer/identity thieve and s/he said some nasty things to you?  Sounds like you should have expected it...  hell, I've been called far worse by people I've found using my own photos (which had to be forcibly removed by the webhost because many thieves I've come across will not back down once caught).

The best thing you can do in these situations is post any dubious profiles here and see if we recognize them.  If there's infringement going on, then contact the model and/or photographer who actually own the rights (provided we can find those people smile) and let them deal with it themselves.

In general, to help prevent this sort of thing from happening, I always recommend that people watermark their images.  Thieves are going to go for unmarked photos way before thinking about going through the hassle to crop or otherwise modify less easy ones.

Jul 19 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

E|||B wrote:
Everyone knows that, "Whores do it for money. Sluts do it for fun." (Does this mean TFP-hobbist-models are sluts and paid-professional-models are whores?)

Hmmm.  Those labels have a nice ring to them.  Better than photog or tog, at least.

I don't mind when people call me a whore.  I'm a whore with a full fridge and electricity, thankyouverymuch.  People can call me a whore all they want...

...it's the calling me a bitch and slapping my ass that bothers me.

Jul 19 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

We all know it already. I thought we were just discussing prices.

Jul 19 06 04:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mooney Makeup

Portland, Oregon, US

E|||B wrote:

Lapis wrote:

Nicely done...I agree to the fullest!

Jul 19 06 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

such a shame to have to resist a smartass post. the subject is too serious to dismiss with a pat to my back, though.

my professional site is secured from browsing at my reps insistance due to the penchant of many to steal rather than create.

i absolutely refuse to destroy an image with a visible watermark and thieves don't give a rats ass about a copyright notice.

the internet is anarchy. those who abuse will have only themselves to blame at the end of the day when the regulators move in becuase there is no choice.

meanwhile you all rail here about the protection of your rights, while using stolen or cracked software and downloading music and movies (et al) from share systems whose sole function is the promotion and enabling of theft of copyright.

unfortunately i firmly believe that this is an age-related issue. youth and respect/perspective always have had a disconnect and now the young are armed with the tools and access to act anonymously and inexpensively.

i enjoy some of the benefits of communities such as MM. here, i can alleviate some of the ennui associated with retirement and my time of life. i do, after a bit more than two years of indulging an 'internet presence', have to consider no longer participating for exactly the reasons outlined in this and other related posts.

be careful what you do, people. the rules of good citizenship should exist in all planes, internet included, lest ultimately the freedoms be taken too.

Jul 19 06 05:13 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Does that mean I should stop stealing towels from hotel rooms? Damn. Seriously though, oldguysrule is correct. Instead of getting furious about everyone else and what they have done to wrong us, we should moderate it with a little bit of self examination as well. Integrity is not just something everybody else needs to practice.

Jul 19 06 05:17 pm Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

E|||B wrote:

Excuse me?

Anyway, I digress.

*raises hand* Slut. Never been paid for a shoot, so I haven't been promoted up to a whore just yet sad

Jul 19 06 05:21 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

E|||B wrote:

Excuse me?

Everyone knows that, "Whores do it for money. Sluts do it for fun."...snip....

Well, I do have to agree with Henry here too, however, I spent the last five minutes smoking a cigarette (which I paid for with my modeling...(j/k)) and pondering this comment and figured out that most people would have to pick between free drugs and free office supplies. Kids don't get school/office supplies from the system anymore, so they are stuck with the free drugs/sex option, and unless one works in a major medical facility, a doctor's or dentists office or the stockmarket, one will not be able to liberate/obtain both drugs and office supplies unless one is a office drone by day and a major partier at night.
Also, it doesn't count if you use sex to pay for drugs, I am assuming. So, basically, there are not very many people who can get all three truly for free.

Jul 19 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

alberich

Saratoga, California, US

All hail Cosette! (and I mean it)

I followed the link to see what the fuss was actually about (I *really* hate it when people use my work for CD covers!!!) and the guy is already gone.

Spreading the word when you see anyone else's work stolen is about the only realistic thing you can do and I for one appreciate your efforts on another artist's behalf.

You definitely GO, whore or otherwise ...

Jul 19 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

E|||B wrote:

I don't know who Henry Rollins is, but any guy who thinks he's getting his sex and drugs for free needs to cut back on the latter.

Jul 19 06 05:49 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

I don't know who Henry Rollins is, but any guy who thinks he's getting his sex and drugs for free needs to cut back on the latter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Rollins
you need to know who Henry Rollins is before you say that....I think he can get pretty much anything he wants for free just with that insane(ly) intense stare. That is one crazy muthafucka

Jul 19 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

If you ever meet him, DON'T make the mistake of offering everyone's favorite aging alternate icon drugs. smile

mjr.

Jul 19 06 08:30 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

If you ever meet him, DON'T make the mistake of offering everyone's favorite aging alternate icon drugs. smile

mjr.

yeah no shit. I think he is totally straight edge. And from watching him sober, I would hope that he always will be. I would still give him drugs for free though, even if it were just for him to flush them down the toilet.

Jul 19 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Lapis wrote:
yeah no shit. I think he is totally straight edge.

Same here. Hardcore. sXe 4 life.

Jul 19 06 10:53 pm Link

Model

Nola Neko

Webb City, Missouri, US

alberich wrote:
All hail Cosette! (and I mean it)

I followed the link to see what the fuss was actually about (I *really* hate it when people use my work for CD covers!!!) and the guy is already gone.

Spreading the word when you see anyone else's work stolen is about the only realistic thing you can do and I for one appreciate your efforts on another artist's behalf.

You definitely GO, whore or otherwise ...

Thank you very much. Indeed, I was super excited to see now TWO myspace pages taken off for this. People have had plenty of great comments in this thread. Yes, I do know what I am getting into when I do this.. and yes I try to be ethical as well as expecting others to be. And woohoo..some hard work has paid off.
Now...to go back to my watermarking.

Jul 20 06 01:56 am Link