Forums > General Industry > What to make of this?

Photographer

ErichDrazen Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

About a year ago, while I was still trying to get my portfolio started, one of the models I contacted about a shoot agreed to shoot with me. However, after trying to setup a shoot date, I didn't hear back from her. After some time (many weeks) during which time I had managed to start a portfolio, I contacted her again stating I was still interested in shooting together. I don't remember if she replied or not, but once again, I never heard back about a date. I know this is very common, it's happened to me a lot and I just move on. However, very recently, I received a message from her asking if I was still interested in shooting together. I indicated that I was still interested in working with her, and offered her some possible dates to work together. To date, I have not heard back from her.

I can understand if she was going through old messages and ran across our correspondence and tried to pick up our plans. However, since she contacted me, I don't understand why my reply has gone unanswered.

I know most people will tell me to embrace the world of internet modeling, and that many models are not really serious. However, from this model's portfolio, she seems serious.

This isn't a rant, just sharing something that happened, was curious if others have had similar experiences and what people think of this.

Thanks.

Jul 18 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Standard operating procedure. No problemo as no committment has been made. Just the sorta "checking schedules" phase.

Jul 18 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

With some people you can't give them a choice about dates.  Pull out your calander and pick a day.  Ask her if that works.  If it doesn't then tell her to pick one and don't hold your breath.

Jul 18 06 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Boy, she's got you whipped. smile

In all seriousness, I wouldn't hold my breath that the shoot will actually happen. The only thing that I can think (thats constructive advice) is to have her call you to try & setup a date. Maybe she's just not an email person.

Jul 18 06 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Ye Olde Photographer

San Juan, San Juan-Laventville, Trinidad and Tobago

If it's TFP she's now trying to save some moooneey at her convenience! When you first contacted her she probably didn't need you back then.

Jul 18 06 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

ErichDrazen Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks. I've already got another shoot scheduled for one of the dates I had offered her. Recently, when offereing a date for a shoot, I will tell the model that I will hold the date for 48 hours while I wait to hear back from them, after which I open the date back up for other photo-sessions. I have had some good results hearing back from models who are really interested with this.

I appreciate the responses.

Jul 18 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

f4 Photo

Morristown, New Jersey, US

Not unusal. I get a lot of "Yes I'm interested" messages. Followed by "Yes I'm still interested" messages. Followed by "I can't do that date, but I'm still interested" messages. When I suggest that they tell me when they ARE available, often as not I don't hear back. If I bother to ask again, they're usually still interested...

Some models are always interested, just not interested enough to actually schedule anything.

Expect it, live with it, or it will drive you crazy

Jul 18 06 08:58 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

OFTEN, LATELY, WELL... JUST NEVER CAN TELL WHEN THE SCHEDULE WILL OPEN UP AND WHAT WILL DEFINATELY WORK  FOR AYTHING...DONT WANT TO FLAKE...NEITHER BE LAST MINUTE!?

Jul 19 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Sometimes people are slow in replying. It happens.

Jul 19 06 03:23 am Link