Forums > General Industry > Gas Masks...

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I realize I am getting older and I'm not as "hip" and "with it" as I once was. In several model ports I have notice pictures where the model is wearing a gas mask, often nude. Is there a message or intent that I am not getting?

Jul 16 06 10:29 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Hopefully the person who knows the answer to your inquiry can also explain what the caution tape means.

Jul 16 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

some people like them. i sure do.

Jul 16 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Cspine wrote:
some people like them. i sure do.

I'm sure that there are many people that like them, and that's fine, I think anything a model and photographer want to create is valid and valuable. My question is this: Is there a statment that the photographer/model are trying to make? Is the mask a symbol for something else? Or is it just a hot woman in a gas mask (Not that thats a bad thing)

Jul 16 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Tim Little Photography wrote:
I realize I am getting older and I'm not as "hip" and "with it" as I once was. In several model ports I have notice pictures where the model is wearing a gas mask, often nude. Is there a message or intent that I am not getting?

The photographer had some bad burrittos?

Jul 16 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

duplicate post

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

most of the time it's just a hot girl in a cool gas mask but for me it does have a point. i'm in a hurry so i'll summ up. a gas mask both protects her and hides her identity, replacing her face with a cold, expressionless, mechanical one. the nakedness exposes her body and sexuality to everyone. it's symbolic.

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Cspine wrote:
most of the time it's just a hot girl in a cool gas mask but for me it does have a point. i'm in a hurry so i'll summ up. a gas mask both protects her and hides her identity, replacing her face with a cold, expressionless, mechanical one. the nakedness exposes her body and sexuality to everyone. it's symbolic.

I always assumed it was pure fetish. Silly me.

Jul 17 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Envy wrote:
Hopefully the person who knows the answer to your inquiry can also explain what the caution tape means.

Caution tape means "caution".

Gas masks mean, of course, "gassy".

Jul 17 06 12:28 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Caution tape means "caution".

Gas masks mean, of course, "gassy".

I see. So, caution tape = danger zone, possible STD's ahead ?

Jul 17 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

PlasticPuppet

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Post Apocalyptic Nudists -- the caution tape means they require a towel when they sit down so they don't ooze anything on your futon.

Jul 17 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

The gas mask wearing nude girl was once shocking. Now it is overdone. That's about it. Like people pissing on a cross. No one cares anymore. The shock value of images has less meaning because images and meaning are lost on the "youth" of today.

Icons and symbols have been reduced to the meaning of an emoticon smile LOL and are nothing more than shorthand in today's visual language society. The history and meaning have no weight anymore. Like a 2 ton elephant that can be lifted my a mouse with the aid of photoshop it is nothing more than a cute picture. The real "weight" of the elephant does not exist because of the improbability of the image. Like the violence and SFX in movies. Reality is not "real" anymore. The same desensitized minds find shocking images no longer shocking.

THis is a long way of saying the stuff is boring. But the imagery still echos in people's minds.

-S

Jul 17 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

it's just another fetish. Two images from my latest book....

Best,
Stu

https://www.stuartphotography.com/48/015.jpg

https://www.stuartphotography.com/48/043.jpg

Jul 17 06 01:37 am Link

Model

Dominick D

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

I always liked to think of the gasmask as a mask itself & as an extension of your being.
Much like wearing latex as a second skin... it transforms the body into something insect like, alien, & sometimes machine like....
I also like the irony of the futuristic feel they can give (even though they are from the past).
I love gasmasks, I have a interest in military equipment for a start & Yes I find them sexy to wear.
My partner bought me a new one for my birthday last week which is a WW2 Russian green one (very insect looking!) with the breathing tube still attached.
& to make it even better if yu cover the tube whilst wearing the mask yu can not breathe at all! it's the ultimate suffocation.... & as I have an asphyxiation fetish I think that's a very, very good thing ;P

xDDx

Jul 17 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Dominick-Destruction wrote:
I always liked to think of the gasmask as a mask itself & as an extension of your being.
Much like wearing latex as a second skin... it transforms the body into something insect like, alien, & sometimes machine like....
I also like the irony of the futuristic feel they can give (even though they are from the past).
I love gasmasks, I have a interest in military equipment for a start & Yes I find them sexy to wear.
My partner bought me a new one for my birthday last week which is a WW2 Russian green one (very insect looking!) with the breathing tube still attached.
& to make it even better if yu cover the tube whilst wearing the mask yu can not breathe at all! it's the ultimate suffocation.... & as I have an asphyxiation fetish I think that's a very, very good thing ;P

xDDx

Oh, OK, I get it now, thanks!

Jul 17 06 07:16 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I actually wore a gask mask while 9 months pregnant in the now famous abandoned mental hospital. I happen to love the image.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20873mo.jpg

Jul 17 06 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Philip Barker

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

Quoting Darrell - "The photographer had some bad burrittos?"

Bingo!

Jul 17 06 09:01 am Link

Model

HurtMeSo

Paris, Arkansas, US

I have one photo of this kind in my port. You might find it cheesy. I didnt make it because i wanted to schock anyone, thought.

I have also a gas mask fetish, combined to a rubber fetish (gasmasks happen to be in rubber quite often) and suffocation fantasies.

So to me gas masks are a pure sexual item. Hence nudity. I feel sexy with a gasmask on.

And I agree with the futuristic/insect look that someone (I dont remember your name even if I enjoy your pics a lot sorry!) mentionned.

Jul 17 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I actually wore a gask mask while 9 months pregnant in the now famous abandoned mental hospital. I happen to love the image.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20873mo.jpg

I had not seen this image before. In the context of the crumbling building there are all kinds of connotations connected to it. Add the fact that your pregnant and it is a powerful image!

Jul 17 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Well, the way I ended up with gas mask shots was something like this: when we were both travelling to another city, I met up with a model (Lady Atropos MM#797) for TFP. She showed up in this costume, complete with modified gas mask, so that's what we shot. She has since shot with many other photographers in the same outfit, it has become her trademark.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/erictragedy/Lady%20Atropos/GasMaskCreature.jpg

Digi manip from same session:

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/051103/19/436b074a82321.jpg

For me it's not really about fetish as much as creating sci-fi/fantasy type imagery.

Jul 17 06 09:38 am Link

Model

bloodmistress

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Dominick-Destruction wrote:

xDDx

i Have to agree i love gas masks and want one for my self so badly there is something about them that is so sexy and powerful. loved the first time i wore one for a shoot i was dressed in a pvc catsuit and transmuters running around and old factory it was so much fun smile

Jul 17 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/cspine/asmall.jpg
https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/cspine/CopyofDSC00490QEsmall.jpg

Jul 17 06 12:09 pm Link

Model

Keeper

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

In the future, the environment will be so shot to hell that we're going to have to all wear gas masks all the time to survive. We may as well start finding it sexy now.

~Keeper

Jul 17 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Craiger

Lakeland, Florida, US

Geez - it's just a gas mask!!
As for being "overdone"...so is just about every image nowadays!

Jul 17 06 02:27 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Tim Little Photography wrote:
I had not seen this image before. In the context of the crumbling building there are all kinds of connotations connected to it. Add the fact that your pregnant and it is a powerful image!

Yes that is exactly my thoughts.

Thank you

Jul 17 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

I really don't understand the allure of the gas mask in photography.  Then again i keep one by my bunk with an antropine injector.

The gas mask to me is almost like a fark cliche.  It is easier on the eyes than the ha-ha guy but still over used and over done.

Jul 17 06 04:07 pm Link

Model

Feline Infektious

There's something quite insect like and post apocolyptic about them. I've collected oddities for a few years now and I must say that my Gas Masks are my favourites, the stranger the better ^_^
I adore the way they can make you look so alien, but I also think there's something really feminine and innocent in Gas Masks (Don't ask me why!) It's just something in 'The look'.

With modelling/phootgraphy though, I prefer the respiritor - because you've got the mouth piece but you can still get a really emotive shot with your eyes.

Much Love,
Feline x

Jul 19 06 08:50 am Link