Forums > General Industry > 9 x 12's...

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've been trying to track down a place that does 9 x 12's for a few pics for my portfolio and when I ask most places look at me like I'm crazy. i've heard you have to get your pics cut down to 9 x 12's in order to get them in that size.

Is this true? Any info as to where I need to go will be helpful.

Jul 16 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

If they are optical prints, the images is printed at 9x12 on 11x14 paper, then trimmed to size.

If they are digital prints, the image size is again, sized to 9x12 then printed on 11x14 or roll paper then trimmed.

Digital sizing can be done on any photo editing software, provided you start with a large enough scan to look good.  300dpi is a good target to shoot for on the final size, but 120 will do OK.  When doing the sizing, do not constrain proportions or the picture will be distorted.  Either print the whole image onto the 9x12, leaving borders, or crop to get that 3:4 ratio.  Most photographers won't want you to do any cropping of delivered images (if they have any pride).

-Don

Jul 16 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

Annabella,

Where have you been looking?  Wal-Mart?  Walgreen’s?  K-Mart?  This is routine at professional photo labs.

Jul 16 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Insofar as I am aware, they don't make 9x12 printer paper. I don't recall - but have never specifically looked - ever having seen precut photo paper at that size, either.

I print my 9x12's on 13x19 paper (if you're careful you can get two prints per.) If I just have one, I usually print it on 11x14 or A3 paper. Either way it has to be trimmed. That's why you buy a good rotary trimmer that can handle your largest projected paper size. Mine is 18" and won't take straight 13x19 on the long axis, but if I trim the short dimension first, it can then handle the resulting paper.

In a lab, I would assume they have to do the same thing, however, as has been pointed out, pro labs shouldn't have a problem with this.

M

Jul 16 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

When I shot portfolio stuff for models, I had to print on 11x14 and cut it down to 9x12.

Jul 16 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

www.adoramapix.com offers 9x12s.

Jul 17 06 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

my lab will do 9x12. either you crop em to exact size, we will, or give you a border. Thats why we call it 'custom lab'.

Best,
Stu

Jul 17 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

ANNABELLA wrote:
I've been trying to track down a place that does 9 x 12's for a few pics for my portfolio and when I ask most places look at me like I'm crazy. i've heard you have to get your pics cut down to 9 x 12's in order to get them in that size.

Is this true? Any info as to where I need to go will be helpful.

If you are printing at a lab that uses a machine like the popular Fuji Frontier, the paper that goes into it comes in rolls of different widths. Many labs don't stock paper that is 9 inches or 12 inches wide, so they simply can't print a 9x12 directly.
However, pretty much every lab stocks 10" paper, so it is very common for labs to print 9x12s on 10x13 paper. Sometimes they'll trim them to size for you, or you can do it yourself with a paper cutter or trimmer from office depot or wherever.

Jul 17 06 06:13 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thom Bourgois wrote:
Annabella,

Where have you been looking?  Wal-Mart?  Walgreen’s?  K-Mart?  This is routine at professional photo labs.

Eek! No, none of those places. But i did go to Wolf Camera and a lot of printing companies and they all said the same thing.

thanks for the help guys! I've bookmarked this page for future reference. smile

Jul 17 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

the dreaded double mouse click duplicate post

Jul 17 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

StMarc wrote:
Insofar as I am aware, they don't make 9x12 printer paper. I don't recall - but have never specifically looked - ever having seen precut photo paper at that size, either.

Our lab equipment (Fuji chemical prints) uses up to 12" wide paper. Maximum print size is 12"x18" We can print a 9x12 with no problem. Anything larger we can do on our Epson Pro 9600 inkjet up to 44" wide. Few labs use cut paper except pro custom labs, that still use enlargers, then it's on 1x14 and trimmed. I did have a roll easel and an enlarger at one custom lab I worked at. Was well suited for making a volume of prints, like a couple hundred headshots/band pics.

Jul 17 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

custom lab - custom prints. we use epsilon gear, can print photographic paper up to 30 inches wide. we dont have inkjets.

hit me up peeps, im competitive.

Jul 17 06 07:10 pm Link